Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

Repairing a Textured Drywall Ceiling

toxcrusadr
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Let me know if I'm doing this right. Mom's house had a roof leak (flat roof and we've replaced the entire roof). A section of bedroom ceiling had to come down and some insulation batts got wet. It's been drying for months now and I'm going to visit in July so...My plan is as follows:

1. Even off the hole so replacement sheetrock can hit the rafters on all sides.

2. Replace insulation batts with same type (I believe they are paper faced).

1. Replace clear plastic wrap, staple in place, no gaps or openings.
  2. Replace sheetrock.
  3. Tape & mud joints.
  4. Re-do texture.

The last two are where I get worried about my skills. I've done a little taping and joint compound but it never looks pretty. The final finish is not sprayed on, it looks like they splattered drywall mud on it and sort of flattened it with a trowel. Any hints on how to recreate that look? I'm afraid I'll be flinging mud all over the room and never get it looking the same.

Edit: After some research this appears to be a 'skip trowel' texture. I found some vids on YT. Still would appreciate any advice on the whole process.

Comments (4)

• klem1
    6 years ago

I to have tried my hand at tapeing and texturing a few times over the years,what a mess!. Here's how I handled the last few projects,including a couple of room additions, a house that had fire damage and a few patches like yours. Around here builders don't keep sheet rockers on payroll so 1 and two man subs picking up day labor help, operating out of 1 truck pulling a trailer is common. I drive through new additions looking for a drywaller at one of the new houses and ask him to come by to bid my job. I have hired them for various stages from hanging to tape and texture and always been well pleased. If you are bent on diy all the way,buy a case of Bud Lite and give ne a call to come show you how. After it's screwed up beound hope we can go look for a pro to straighten it out.

• woodbutcher_ca
    6 years ago

Hi, Cut the hole square to the closest rafter, scab a 1x2 on the rafter for a nail fin for the new rock. I don't use a tapered end to butt up to the old sheet rock. I cut the taper off. Tape and mud it. don't get to generous with the mud don't put on more that you want to sand off. Takes about three coats. a suggestion is to buy mud you mix with water it comes with a shorter set time 10 or 20 or 40 minutes remember thin coats. Sounds like you have a knock down texture. Mix little mud up then go to the garage or inside a closet and take a plastic bag and dab the mud on the wall let it set awhile not to dry Take your blade and gently drag it across the mud see if you match your pattern. Might take a couple of tries.

Good Luck Woodbutcher

• toxcrusadr
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oops I forgot to come back and check for replies.

klem, ya cracked me up. Unfortunately I'm trying to avoid having contractors in at all. Mom is a handful and does not get along that well with people, and if her space is invaded it's even worse. Whereas I'm the golden boy and most anything I do, she loves. :-P I'd have you over to screw it up with me but I don't want to put you through that. You can come over to my house though, I'm pretty easy going. LOL

woodbutcher: Thanks for the tips. Thin layers, right. Not sure what you are suggesting with the plastic bag though. But I thought I'd practice on some drywall scraps till I get the hang of it.

• klem1
    6 years ago

Grandpawcrusadr must have been a patient sort of man.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor