Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_coopersmith

Can I use microwave ducted vent for recirculation exhaust venting?

Jill Coopersmith
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Perhaps this is an unusual question - I have not seen any others like it posted here.

BACKGROUND INFO:

In my new kitchen (which is not yet complete), My OTR microwave cabinet is bumped out to 15" and the surrounding wall cabinets are both 13" deep. The desired look is to flush-mount the microwave to the bumped out upper cabinet, leaving only 2 inches exposed on each side.

There are only 2 ways to achieve this look... 1) Vent any OTR microwave to the outside so that the top recirculation vent is not used, or 2) Use a front-vent microwave which does not require the MW extend beyond the front the cabinet it is mounted to. Since I do not have access to an outside wall or roof to use the ducted exhaust option for outside venting I have to use option 2 and install a front-vent microwave. The problem is there are very few models available (I found a frigidaire model) but I had to sacrifice features and the MW is not as nice a model as I would otherwise choose.

MY QUESTION:

Can the duct-vented exhaust option of a microwave be converted to recirculate into the room, to a location other than the MW's built in blower? All of these units now have option to vent outside or recirculate... what I want is a hybrid... meaning I want to duct the exhaust up through the cabinet, and have it end at the top of the cabinet and just blow into the room. I have vaulted ceilings so there is lots of open space above the cabinet.

I realize that the built in recirculation blower has a filter to catch the grease and grime, but I am thinking I could I add a filter to the end-point of the duct work to perform the same function. Afterall, the air, steam, and smoke that being vented is the same air whether it goes through the duct or the recirculation blower.

I have mocked up a view of how I envision this. I am seeking feedback from anyone with expertise in microwave venting. Is my idea possible???

Here is the microwave I will need to use if I cannot solve the venting. It's not ideal...

Comments (14)

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago

The microwave grease filter will be right at the inlet, on the bottom of the microwave. I don't see why you can't vent out the top of your cabinet if your microwave has a vent on top. You might want to put a screen of some kind on it so that something can't fall into the duct though.

• kaseki
    6 years ago

How about a "real" recirculating hood such as Broan or VaH make that contains reportedly adequate filters and enough air flow rate to actually capture and contain the rising cooking plume effluent. Then put the microwave oven on a counter or use an over-the-counter model (Sharp).

• tjmwine
    6 years ago

That's not a good idea. The microwave has a cooling fan for the magnetron tube and uses that vent Not the exhaust vent. Hence possible damage to the microwave.

• jwvideo
    6 years ago

There will be grease filters on the inlet on every OTR, but recirculating modes are designed to blow the air through a second, final filter at the outlet (often with activated charcoal in it). The hope is for trapping additional grease as well as some smoke and odors.

Not sure I understood Jill's problem with having an OTR mounted flush with cabinets, but I'm wondering if the problem is that some (maybe many) OTRs need clear vertical space at the very front in order to slide up the access cover to get at the filter? If so, that would preclude a flush mount. (Unless one were set-up to lower the OTR whenever the charcoal filter needs replacing.)

So, Jill, are you looking for OTRs with a front filter cover that comes off horizontally rather than vertically?

As for adapting a recirculating system to blow out through the vertical vent stack, you can do it, but only if you are willing to be diligent about frequently cleaning the tops of your cabinets.

I recently saw such a rig when helping a friend with a remodeling project. Phenomenal grease accumulation up there. Not only in the vertical venting, but all over the top of the cabinet run and the wall immediately behind it. Mostly hidden by the raised fascia of the cabinets. Out of sight, out of mind, eh?

• Jill Coopersmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@tjmwine

That's not a good idea. The microwave has a cooling fan for the magnetron tube and uses that vent Not the exhaust vent. Hence possible damage to the microwave.

Can you provide more information? The magentron tube uses which vent?

Like B

• Jill Coopersmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jwvideo

Not sure I understood Jill's problem with having an OTR mounted flush with cabinets, but I'm wondering if the problem is that some (maybe many) OTRs need clear vertical space at the very front in order to slide up the access cover to get at the filter? If so, that would preclude a flush mount. (Unless one were set-up to lower the OTR whenever the charcoal filter needs replacing.)

So, Jill, are you looking for OTRs with a front filter cover that comes off horizontally rather than vertically?

Let me try to explain better. Right now, in order to flush mount the microwave to the 15"deep upper cabinet, I have to get a microwave where the recirculation vent blows out the front - the vent louvers are visible when you face the MW (parallel to the wall). Its pretty ugly, and the only MWs that even have that are out of date with less-than-desirable specs. I found one which will do for now - it is pictured in my OP.

All new OTR MWs now flip that recirculation blower vent upward 90degrees so that the louvers face the ceiling. This requires that the MW protrude out 2 inches past the front of the upper cabinet it is mounted to (unless you can vent to the outside, which I cannot).

If I vent using ducts meant for outside venting, then I can essentially "turn off" the recirculation mode, and cover the louvers with the upper cabinet. This will allow me to choose any MW model I want.

Hope that helps! :)

• tjmwine
    6 years ago

if you are using the microwave that you pictured the grill in the front is were the fan for the magnetron will blow out ( it will also be used if your turn the blower to recirculate). Most microwaves have 'hidden vents" that are on top, cleaner look, but micro would need to stick out so when the fan cools the magnetron the air will come out of those vents.

• Jill Coopersmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    tjmwine- exactly my point. If I can use the top vent the go up through the cabinet and resolve the ductwork above that cabinet, that vent will care for the stove venting and the magnatron venting, and I would not need a MW with a front-facing louver. I could use a more stylish MW and just cover up the recirculation vents that face the ceiling that the front. I have just never seen any documentation that says it can be done or if there is a reason not to.

For what it's worth, most of the cooking on our stove is boiling water or soup, scrambling eggs, or simmering an occasional kettle of sauce.
  • Jill Coopersmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    hvtech42, Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have seen many pictures of OTR MWs which are flush mounted to the extended upper cabinet, and they do not have the front louvers. I have even downloaded installation guides for a few models, including my current whirlpool, and they don't say anything about ensuring the recirculation vent remains exposed if using ducted venting. Perhaps this is why MWs don't last long???
  • Jill Coopersmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are some examples of the look I want to achieve. These appear to be flush-mounted to the upper cabinet. How are their magnetrons cooled?

Laurel Grove Auburn Alabama · More Info

Nashotah Transitional Kitchen · More Info

• kaseki
    6 years ago

I think the key word above is "appear" because to me these OTR microwave ovens look like they are not flush by two or three inches.

From an earlier post: "If I can use the top vent [to] go up through the cabinet and resolve the
    ductwork above that cabinet, that vent will care for the stove venting
    and the magnatron venting, and I would not need a MW with a front-facing
    louver.
    " In my view, neither this nor any other microwave oven venting scheme I'm even vaguely aware of will "care for the stove venting" because they move far too little air per unit time and the units do not overhang the burners sufficiently. Perhaps if a supplementary blower designed for higher pressure loss is used in the path taken by the this so-called ventilation to augment the flow rate, barely adequate air flow will be possible. But even then, capture area will be too small to have much effect on front burner plume capture.

You can design for style and give up on having adequate ventilation, or design for adequate ventilation and give up on OTR microwave ovens. Your statement "For what it's worth, most of the cooking on our stove is boiling water
    or soup, scrambling eggs, or simmering an occasional kettle of sauce.
    " suggests that you can get away with doing the former. In that case, provide manufacturer specified cooling paths for the magnetron, and ignore limitations of the mediocre or worse ventilation. And don't sear steaks on the cooktop before baking them in the oven.

• Jill Coopersmith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi everyone, My new MW is now installed the "right way" since I purchased a front-vent unit. I am a happy camper since it appears flush with the upper it is mounted to (it sticks out about a 1/2"), and the front vents don't look all that bad. Here is a few pics. Kitchen is only partially finished.
  • M Coviello
    2 years ago

Hi Jill, I'm in the same boat. What is the make/model of your MW?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012