Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyamydaisy

They installed the wrong counter, what happens now?

crazyamydaisy
6 years ago

They installed the wrong counter top. I ordered honed and they put in polished. It is dark quartz counter so it shows EVERYTHING, which is why I ordered honed. They tell me they definitely ordered honed from the supplier. They are "calling to figure out what happened". What should I be expecting next?

Comments (14)

• sherri1058
    6 years ago

Take a deep breath. It sounds like they are on top of it. I would expect that it will be rectified.

• Kathryn P
    6 years ago

I would expect once the correct one is fabricated the current one will be removed and the new one installed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Expect lots of fingerprinting with a honed quartz top. Good luck keeping it clean.

• 8 mpg
    6 years ago

They can probably just hone it where its at. Going gloss to hone is much easier than the other way

• Sean Wang
    6 years ago

When we remodeled, they put in the wrong flooring. We picked it up after it's 80% done. We don't live in the house during the remodel. The ripped it out and put in new flooring withing a week. Mistake happens, they should redo it. It's a crappy feeling, but that's construction.

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have dark countertops in the kitchen and love them. The only frustration is when I take the twistie thingy off the bread, and then I can't see it on the counters. I have to tap my hands all over until I feel it. I'm getting pretty good though lol.

Someone made the error on your counters and it wasn't you, so someone else should be correcting it. Keep us posted. Good luck :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

If the counter installers suggest honing on site, please read some of the threads in the following link, and make sure they have someone manning a vacuum to suck up as much dust as possible, as it's produced (as Joe does.)

GW discussions--stone dust in kitchens/cabinets

Also, you need to check with the mfr, to find out if honing on site affects the warranty.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

I would not want them honed on site. There is no substitute for a factory finish.

• friedajune
    6 years ago

I feel like I post this message around once a week. It won't help the OP, but for others reading this: everyone should go to the counter template layout at the fabricator's before the counter is cut. That way, you can be sure you will get what you thought you were buying at the stoneyard.

• javiwa
    6 years ago

I'm afraid nothing is a 100% guarantee: our guys came out four times (twice to double check measurements and twice to create two templates). Countertops were mis-cut/measured all the way around, and the project was a train wreck.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    6 years ago

I am a fabricator.

A reputable fabricator will replace the incorrect tops within a couple of weeks* and give you a discount for the extra hassle. 5 - 10% would be reasonable. As mentioned previously honed quartz can be difficult to clean. We always make sure clients understand and acknowledge this as most people expect quartz to be "very easy to clean" which it is when polished.

*Note: it could take longer depending on the lead time from the supplier to provide the correct material. Don't beat up your fabricator if this happens.

• granite guru
    6 years ago

Hone a marble on site? possibly, hone a quartz on site and a black quartz on top of that never, not without terrible results. What is your quartz brand and color? Is it the fabricator honing or is the finish supplied by the quartz manufacturer? If you want a matte finish on any thing black other than granite I would suggest a using a product like Dekton or neolith not quartz.

• crazyamydaisy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice. We decided to have the open counter replaced with honed and the “built in hutch” area left polished. The new honed counter did not fit as perfectly as the polished but that was a battle we did not win. And 6 months in, I only occasionally think about that, ha!