Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klnco444

Shipping to California

Klnco
6 years ago

Is Cali not allowing Hoyas to be shipped into the state? I have buyers interested in some of my Hoyas on eBay from there and I just want to make sure they aren't seized or destroyed.

Comments (11)

• aurorawa
    6 years ago

It's better to have a USDA license for CA, right now. I put my license label on any box going to CA, just in case. Right now, they are dealing with some nasty invasives, and Agriculture is big business there, so they are being super anal, even with houseplants.

• Klnco
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's what I figured. How do I go about getting a USDA license? Does it take some time or is it rather fast?

• aurorawa
    6 years ago

I don't know how your state does things, but in WA, Iapplied for my business and nursery license, the USDA came out a couple of weeks later to inspect, and then I waited another 4 months for all the approvals/paperwork to go through for the permits.

It is not free, just a heads up. You may have to pay for your business license (mine was $5 plus an $18 filing fee), you will have to pay for a nursery license (mine was $178), and then there is the USDA inspection fees (WA charges $50/hour//$75 overtime, $10 per 250 plants for nursery stock inspections, $50 per witnessed fumigation, $50 for compliance agreement, plus current federal employee mileage cost- total cost for me was around $200 for their services, because there is not a local extension).

• Klnco
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow thats a process! I sold a Hoya and shipped it to California this week, it arrived safe and sound thankfully!

• greentoe357
    6 years ago

I noticed recently that Ric started putting "NO SHIPPING TO CALIFORNIA or ARIZONA" into some (but not all) of his plant sales. I have some listings on ebay right now. I wonder if I should have excluded those states. And I wonder if there's a difference if they are growing in organic or inorganic media, or if they are rooted or unrooted at all, and generally what the rules are.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Interesting discussion everyone.. Thanks for all the info! I found a Hoya thomsonii for cheap on etsy, about 10 bucks and 6 bucks shipping. But the seller is in Germany :( some in the US have received the plants they ordered while others had their plants confiscated. I almost can't resist pressing the buy button but I'm sure it's the not best idea. Is there any chance it will get through customs?

• aurorawa
    6 years ago

There is a chance, but if it is not shipped with a phytosanitary certificate and a TRUTHFUL declaration, the risk is not worth it.

First of all, it is illegal to import plants into the US without a phytosanitary certificate. People do it, but it does not make it right. Illegally shipping plants without phytosanitary certificates increases the pest risk here, which has risks on our food crops, as well as our hobby plants.

Sending a box with improper declaration (calling a Hoya plant household goods or paintbrushes, for example) is also illegal, and again, people do it, but it doesn't make it right.

Go with a nursery in the US or a nursery overseas that actually does things legally. It may cost more (for overseas orders), but at least it's legal and there is no risk to our native flora, our food crops, or our hobby plants.

Or, do trades with some of the lovely folks on here.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

The voice of reason! I like it. Thanks for all the info. I do agree with everything you said..I decided it's not really worth the risk as well as not honest or fair. I did just acquire a nice Hoya monetteae off of eBay so I think that will hold me over for now :) I definitely will consider trading. & I haven't seen anything from you on eBay lately! Why not? :) & thanks again Aurora!

• aurorawa
    6 years ago

I am growing out a few larger plants right now, to sell in a bit. Also, just had an awful experience with a buyer (tried to get me to refund them outside of Ebay, when I refused, they threatened my feedback) and Ebay itself (not allowing the removal of the feedback, even though there was feedback extortion...at least they removed the highly inapporopriate and inaccurate comment). On top of that, I finally got the cast off my broken arm. Lol.

I will be honest. I have no shame for what happened, as I am human and prone to mistakes. Broke my arm...had hubby helping me with shipping labels. 2 labels got mixed up, so 2 buyers ended up with the wrong plant.

Buyer 1 (nasty person) IMMEDIATELY opened a case, then contacted me on FB messenger, alerting me of the problem.

I offered a partial refund, told them to keep the erroneously sent plant, and that I would ship them a replacement of the right one, at MY cost.

I also notified buyer 2 I was aware of the mix-up, and offered them the same. Buyer 2 declined the refund, and was happy just to keep the wrong item, and get the right item shipped free to them. Got positive feedback from them.

Buyer 1 demanded that I partially refund them BEFORE they would accept my partial refund offer on Ebay. I tried telling them that it was not possible, as Paypal locks a seller's account once a case is opened against them. Had they contacted me PRIOR to opening a case, I could have done an immediate partial refund.

They called me a liar, said they'd been using Ebay for over 25 years (um...not possible...Ebay has only been around since 1995), and that I was mentally challenged.

Then, they threatened to leave negative feedback if I did not comply.

At that point, I just issued a full refund to wash my hands of the nasty person.

I contacted Ebay about the feedback issue, and they are "working on it"...whatever that means.

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just received a notification of your reply today or I would have replied sooner. I'm sorry to hear about that. Sadly some people aren't so forgiving of even such an innocent mistake. It's good to know you didn't let them make you feel shame lol. You did what you could to make this evil person happy and that's all that matters. At least buyer 2 understood and didn't try to make your life any harder. This vaguely reminds me of when Logee's sent me Hoya skinneriana as subcalva. I wasn't angry and I was even very happy when they offered to send me a different Hoya as a replacement free of charge. Of course I obliged! I definitely didn't try to make it hard for anyone. Some people just want things for free and I'm pretty sure that's what happened here. Disgruntled/unforgiving customers are easily the worst aspect of doing business. And the mentally challenged comment makes me very angry. If anything, she has some mental problems, whatever they might be. Hopefully she gets what is coming to her. I'm sure your feedback on Ebay will speak for it self. I hope it all works out!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH