Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Blank slate-itis

Tmnca
6 years ago

Now that I have contractors lined up for the work our soon to be new house needs (roof, new windows etc etc) I can turn to the fun stuff of selecting decor and finishes! Of course we have so much necessary work to do that the aesthetic stuff must be done on a budget.

The house is a 1960s builder grade bungalow house in a coastal California city known for beach cottages and whimsical vintage Victorian homes... and our neighborhood is a mix of those cute homes and these 50-70s basic builder houses mixed in.

I don't want to post photos with someone else's belongings in them so suffice it to say the house needs help aesthetically as well as necessary overdue maintenance. The old stained carpets over cigarette-smelling vinyl tiles, the pink laminate countertop on a water damaged vanity in the bathroom - it's all going but I don't know where to start choosing finishes (other than price tag)!

We plan to install a wood-type floor (LVP, engineered wood or bamboo), IKEA kitchen, tile in bathroom floors. We are not quite sure what styles will suit this house, but we are thinking a beach inspired but slightly modern or transitional look. So for example we are considering the IKEA Askersund cabinets which are "light ash" wood look. (Our current condo is a 1980 and we went with dark black-brown laxarby painted - but in the new house the tiny kitchen needs light cabinets.

ikea Askersund display kitchen

We don't want dark floors because the house is not an open floor plan and will look closed in, but how to choose an appropriate floor finish that won't clash with cabinets? Or should we start with flooring and just go with white cabinets?

Paint colors - we like our current palette of BM mascarpone with accent walls of Mexicana, bathrooms in Revere Pewter and master bedroom in Wedgewood Gray. But we are looking to change it up a little and maybe have a more interesting color than white on the walls.

Our furniture is dark brown leather and we have a sea grass rug we will keep for the LR. The LR has a red brick fireplace with white painted mantel (it's a normal sized fireplace not a whole wall or monster fireplace). We don't own any real art, just some framed photos and candles sconces. We will have a lot more wall space since this house has more rooms than our open floor plan condo.

Where do I start, any inspiration for me?

Comments (11)

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I would probably pick the flooring first because that might be the largest expense and your decision there will affect the finish you choose for your cabinetry.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

there is so little info. how about one of those light gray wood like an ikea floor? then make it all open to the porches, etc.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There's really no info to give, since we are replacing flooring, kitchen, bathrooms and painting - that's my dilemma... not knowing where to start! Picking flooring first seems to make sense but it's really overwhelming the number of types, colors and finishes available.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

but something that we feel so unqualified to speak on. pros could give you quality, i can assure you that research is most important. maybe hold ikea up as an exhibit, i have heard they have good laminates.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

IKEA no longer sells flooring in the USA. We will be looking at flooring obviously but I was hoping for some advice on where to start with a blank slate decorating and in decor/appearance I know I will get plenty of (completely conflicting) advice from flooring row on the types of floors to use - I'm thinking about appearance now. Sounds like flooring it is because it's the hardest to change in future, but again it's pretty overwhelming with everything available.

Since pictures speak a thousand words you can see the kitchen in my kitchen layout thread.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

darn did not know that about ikea. i did some very reasonable laminate from a close out. have you tried this years comparisons from the consumers reports? i am sure ywe have a lot of queries?

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have no shortage of flooring options - quite the opposite! I'm looking for advice on how to start defining a look for a whole house makeover.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

When we bought our carpeting I asked the owner about bamboo flooring since that seemed like an eco-friendly and fairly economic way to go. He didn't have anything very positive to say, something about it swelling and shrinking, and being difficult to install and maintain. You might want to check into that. You might want to determine a price range and then go to a flooring place and find out what options are within your budget, and have a look at samples and see what colors appeal to you. Darker colors will show dirt much more easily, and may not be what you want with a "beachy" theme anyway. Figuring out what colors you really love (have a look in your closet) and looking at lots of rooms on-line of different types should help. Houzz has a section on decor where you can see rooms according to what style you like which should be helpful.

• powermuffin
    6 years ago

We have ash floors from Lumber Liquidators and love them! They are clean looking, go with anything and lighten up the room.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

see! my floors came from ollies, no probs at all.