Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalennoxa

Help me choose new colours for my front porch and door - Victorian home

Okay, I'm about to start on a process that is sure to make me crazy along the way, selecting colours for my front porch and door. I will be using Benjamin Moore paints. Originally, this began as a simple paint job, using the same colours I currently have. Then I thought, why not change the door colour? That turned into why not change the porch colour too? And so we begin...

Please see the attached photos. I really like the colour scheme,but when it's time for a change...Some of what I am trying to achieve is that it must make a statement, be bold, be sexy. To be honest with you, as much as I like sage, there's a lot of green around the house and the garden, and it would be nice to have something different. Something that says "I'm a young man, this is my own house and my own private jungle." My mind seems to be leaning toward a deep blue (for the door). I'm pretty sure I will also take the door colour and use it to paint the inset triangle which is above the two pillars and also the frame which the two pillars support to give the whole look some added definition. The one colour I may actually keep is the cream used on the pillars and supports as they are quite unique on the street and match the Bay window, so that's an option too.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to hearing the ideas from the community!

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    A black high gloss door
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    When I painted my red brick Victorian cottage, I saw a lot of awesome green, mustard, and brick red trimmed red brick Victorians. The mustard really makes it. :). Ou house was much more diminutive, and we ended up with sage and cream instead, but on your house I'd totally do mustard and green with brick red. :)
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    Here's the pics I took. (I gave up blogging before finishing the house, so it's half finished)
    http://tinyoldhouse.blogspot.com/2008/08/red-brick-victorian-houses-in-denver.html
  • LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Rockin' Fine Finish - thanks, was originally thinking that I wouldn't do black, as that is what the door currently is, but I am really tempted, especially to do it with gloss - cool and wow :-)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @scarpullagirl - love the blue door! This was where my mind was heading I think - deep blue, and now maybe I'm thinking some black accents. Hmmm...thanks for your input!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Don't forget to tackle the steps, and I'd replicate the porch railings on the steps. Here are some paint combos...
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/5-bright-palettes-for-front-doors-stsetivw-vs~3399560
  • Olivia D.
    10 years ago
    Love, love the idea of an electric blue door with a high gloss finish. You would be that cool dude that lives in that Victorian house--with the blue door.

http://houzz.com/ideabooks/4069078
  • Olivia D.
    10 years ago
    Benjamin Moore colors might be Champion Cobalt or Blueberry Hill.

If you go with a bold blue for the door, you might want to limit that striking color to just the door. Use a complementary neutral for the mailbox and other architectural features.

The house is beautiful. Good luck with your color choices!
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @zennifer - thanks for the suggestion. I don't think mustard will quite go with I'm envisioning, partly because I've seen a few doors done that way that look "bang on trend" which isn't necessarily where I'm heading...but mainly because that colour doesn't cry 'sexy' to me. The idea of a blue door is resonating right now...
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    Look at symphony blue from Benjamin Moore you can use there high gloss paint grand entrance it also comes in high satin
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste - thanks for that link. Some good ideas there. Also, yes, the steps are definitely part of this equation. I'm actually thinking in the direction of a gun metal grey...
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    You're welcome! Anxious to see when you post the "after" pics.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Olivia - thanks for the compliment, and suggestions! I'm actually thinking of also using the blue that I choose for the door in two other places - the triangular inset that's above the steps, and the dentils on the Bay window. Also, the mailbox is pretty heavy and high grade - that won't be changing. But I'm sure it will go with whatever scheme I come up with. I have a visit scheduled for Benjamin Moore this weekend, and I think I have a pretty solid idea of what I'm looking for going in, so we'll see what the results are!
  • annakel
    10 years ago
    Love the pic from Scarpulla girl. The white surround makes it crisp. Also think black door would be good.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like three, at least, four colors on a house like yours. The window trim and the trim one color; any wood that is not trim (like the triangle) another; and then the front door. And your brick is the fourth color.

Heavy Timber Tudor · More Info
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    What colour is the glass in the door, any inspiration from that?
    Here's a few more colours examples you might like, blue is very smart.
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    Or
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    Your porch will create some shadow, yes? So a strong colour would look great.
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    Purple? Got to be gloss .
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    On the porch, gray deck with white risers. I like the current door color. It's sexy.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, I had forgotten about this thread! Guess I never posted an update - my bad. I ended up choosing blue and some other statement colours for the porch, and quite like it - though even I was a bit shocked at first because it was quite different! But very happy with the result. This season will see some additional striking plants and pots to add to the mix...
  • ajrmcr
    10 years ago
    Looks great!
  • Libbmom
    10 years ago
    cute house...love the blue door...I would put pots on the second and fourth step on the right hand side with colorful annuals of the season...geraniums, pansies, etc...
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    Looks great, perfect choice!
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Door looks great!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    10 years ago
    Would put some bright yellow flowers on the step.
  • deignmyhome
    9 years ago
    Wowee! A Victorian - there's your helper. Check your local paint store for historic colors.