Toothpick Rooting Technique: August

gardener365
6 years ago

Posting this over here to the trees forum. Dax

August: Toothpick Rooting Technique

Comments (22)

• arbordave (SE MI)
    6 years ago

Dax, thanks for posting this. I'm curious what tree species you've propagated yourself with this technique?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

First year to try it. To copy/paste from the above link, this is what I've done thus far:

oaks, maples, Betula uber, bald cypress, serviceberry, (3-4)
    viburnum-species, apples, sweet cherry, plum, apricot, nectarine,
    grapes, deciduous azalea, Cornus officinalis, truncatum maple, red
    maple, Acer triflorum, Acer griseum, Acer palmatum, Acer japonicum,
    arborvitae, Alaskan cypress, rhododendron, pecan, metasequoia, fir,
    spruce, pine, parrotia, aborvitae, pawpaws, &
    persimmons.

I'm in the 150 or more range Dave. I tried to do at least three per plant.

I was thinking about going and buying another box of toothpicks within the past minutes.

Dax

• arbordave (SE MI)
    6 years ago

Be sure to let us know next year what kind of success rates you have.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Absolutely. I may not find this thread, however. I have the thread linked to from above already saved in my email calendar & to report next year on that thread when I start in again.

I was just asked for photos from a member here so I went outside moments ago. While self explanatory, here are photos:

Thuja occ. 'Malonyana Aurea'

A popular arborvitae that's difficult to locate. I must've done 20 on it so far. I'm going to do more.

Here you see I went into second year wood.

While buds aren't visible on arborvitae, it's second year wood you need to root them, anyway. That's just how the Genus: Thuja is rooted on a mist bench or tent frame or other.

Here are two photos of Acer truncatum... notice that the toothpick is directly below a set of buds on last years growth. The new growth/this years growth can be seen to the right and is fleshy green.

Three photos showing this technique on Sciadopity's verticillata. I located little and I mean very little bud formations on last years growth. The toothpick went right thru that cluster. The buds cannot be seen in the photographs, but they are there.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

Great stuff, Dax. Thanks.

tj

• rickl144
    6 years ago

Really interesting, I need to try this. I had a thought...maybe it would help to soak the toothpicks for a day or two in Superthrive or liquid rooting hormone before using them?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Probably not any big deal. I did a minute dip with some toothpicks on pawpaws. 1/2 with hormone the other half just toothpicks.

Just gently resting the ends of toothpicks in your mouth to keep your hands free renders them useless on that side. They're about as strong as cardboard at that point. That's only 30 to 60 seconds later.

Those I did in pawpaw I dried for a while which made me think how useful the hormone could actually be.

Dax

• Tony35 (SE WI)
    6 years ago

This is very interesting, going to have to give this a try

Thanks for posting it

• terrene
    6 years ago

Very interesting technique, thank you for that information. I am going to have to think about what woody plants to try this out on!

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

Keep us posted, Dax.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sure thing. I'll add this link to my email calendar.

I hope everyone reports their results, please & thank you.

Dax

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Well, one key lime cutting and four calamondin cuttings died after I planted them in soil mix and had them on a heat mat at 75 F. Next time I will try this in the spring (instead of the fall) and with softwood instead of the hardwood which is what I used.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Don't use a heat mat. I'm going on gut instinct. I've had more issues using them in the more than 15-years I've been doing this stuff, than not.

Thank you for reporting, Vladimir.

Dax

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Gardener, what issues have you had with heat mats?

• Timothy Wood
    6 years ago

Cool technique. Can this be done in spring instead of fall? I’ve never heard of this before and I’ve tries other methods of rooting with little success.

• mary_rockland
    6 years ago

How far below the toothpick do you trim when you remove the cutting to put into the rooting medium?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

1/4" is fine.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Zero to root. Nothing.

I have no idea why.

Dax

• rickl144
    5 years ago

I used liquid rooting hormone and stuck my toothpick-prepped cuttings (prepped late August/early September 2017) into a punctured bag of pine bark mulch, setting it against the east side of my house over the winter. The spot gets morning sun only, plus wind protection. About half of the deciduous cuttings (including winter honeysuckle) now either have new leaves or healthy-looking buds (azaleas), while two varieties of evergreens still have green needles. I am not gonna mess with the cuttings for a couple of months yet, then plan to scoop the ones obviously alive into either pots or in the ground in a partly shaded spot.

• mary_rockland
    5 years ago

I had a branch of rhodendron that fell off the plant in early spring. So, not to waste it, I picked it up and put in water in the house. Then I made 3 toothpick insertions. It's been a few weeks and the small branch is healthy looking and the toothpick cuts seem to have browned and I suppose are callousing over. I'm wondering how long I should wait to cut them off and pot them given my imposed false summer.

• User
    5 years ago

I was thinking about trying toothpick method until I read the last couple of post by sam_md on the other thread: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2118697/its-august-and-time-for-the-toothpick-technique?n=15