Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mail3441

What's missing in this master bedroom?

Victoria D
6 years ago
I feel like something is missing on the walls but I don't know what. I don't want super clutter, and I've gone for a whites and greens theme because I want to feel like I'm sleeping on a cloud but relaxed with nature. Suggestions?

Comments (48)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Trade the verdant green of outdoors for a mistier spa tone mixed in with al the lovely white?

I think it looks very fresh and crisp! Perhaps something dreamier than grass over your head? A lower, more generously sized nightstand and lamp?

• PRO
    Natalie Howe Design
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Perhaps think about hardwiring a sconce on both sides of the bed. Something that provides some visual interest and serves a practical purposes. That will also give height to the room. (examples below). Also, the end table makes that corner space seem tiny. Scale seems off. Good luck!

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I'd fluff it up with green and white pillows of various shapes. Add more greenery and taller lamps.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

I'd remove the faux greenery and replace with a nice painting. The piece Jan posted above would be lovely and work with your green pillows. If it's in your budget, larger bedside tables would be nice. I think you're just about there with a light, ethereal feel/look.

• Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There's no room for larger bedside tables as the bed has drawers that require clearance.
    Won't be removing the living wall as we both like it. Looking for what else can be done in addition to what's there.

• starcitylady72
    6 years ago

Drapery with your sheers?

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

From the picture you're showing, it looks like you are done, however, is there more to see that you might need help with?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    The live plant wall piece is in the wrong place. Very bad Feng Shui. You want to observe it while in bed. Being overhead creates a threat. Move it. Replace lamp shade with a black one or printed one. If you arranged what is in your storage drawers so only have seldom used items in drawers near night stands you could find alternative night stands. IKEA has a shoe cabinet that is narrow that could work on one side and be dual purpose. Try a few things and see how it feels to you.
  • Steph Castonguay
    6 years ago

What about a floating night stand? Then you can have the clearance for the drawers in the bed, hide the clutter and fit the scale of the room.

• Kerry Blossom
    6 years ago
    floating drawer night stands. mount to wall which will elem bb ate the underbed storage problem... remove the picture on night stand or use a white frame.. a beefier glass light. I love the living wall and bed set up...
  • Kerry Blossom
    6 years ago
    lol!! we posted the same thing!
  • Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions but please stop telling me to remove the living wall. It's not happening, and I am not at all concerned about the 'fung shui' of it. We love it.

And please understand that the bed has drawers because we specifically wanted a bed with drawers since the room is not big enough to fit a dresser so dont suggest that we give up the drawers. We don't want to change the nightstands, we like them.

I am asking for what can be ADDED to the space, and everyone seems to be suggesting things to change. I like what I have already - I just feel like there's something missing above the bedside tables to balance the wall out.

I don't particularly want to get rid of the lamps, I like them, just like I like my curtains, my night stands, and my bedding.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I would add this pretty white demilune table next to bed and hang the greens wall art above it with a pure white lamp...add this script art above the bed..

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Sorry your room is so sweet..I do believe the side table is to small..if you only change that out it will really help with balance...keep your lamps and everything else..love your pillows and bedding..you could add a soft faux fur white throw at end of bed..just another layer to make it feel like a cloud:))

• Steph Castonguay
    6 years ago

This is how i staged my room to sell my house. A simple window-paned mirror, fat- bottom lamp and flowers. All the stuff is still handy in drawers, i just suggest if you do add mirrors behind the lamps to also add nice decor box to put your things in so it looks neater. OR totally different idea- do absolutely *everything* else in white. (Think Affordable and simple- paint the headboard, white lamp shades ) You'll feel on a cloud and the green wall hanging will really pop

Victoria D thanked Steph Castonguay
  • Raychel
    6 years ago

I like your living wall. To compliment the living wall you could add framed botanical prints for the cohesiveness of of your nature-based decor. Leaf art or fern art in black frames may work best to maintain the serenity and pull together the dark frame of your bed and lamp shades.

This etsy site shows different displays arrangements of multiple prints and there are plenty more images online. You can also go to a ready-to-print side for ideas; example:

http://emilyaclark.com/2016/03/ready-to-print-gallery-wall-fern-botanicals.html

You can also buy black frames from Dollar Tree. It's inexpensive idea that will complete your living wall focal point.

Victoria D thanked Raychel
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Here are two bedrooms that really look like a cloud..thought you might see something you like from them...some inspiration of what might be missing in your room...I like your greens wall art but maybe on another wall?? I do feel like it takes away from the very soft cloudy feel you have achieved with your bed...maybe just moving it will help.

depending on your budget here are a couple white faux fur throws....I think it would really add another texture and look besutiful!

• Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Those are gorgeous rooms! I feel like I am not getting my bedding as soft and fluffy as those and I don't know how to fix that. I tried doing the Z fold to add some fluff, and pintuck duvet covers should already be fluffier than flat ones, so how do I get that super puff? Definitely going to look at a faux fur throw to add to the mix and some more white pillows with texture
  • D DN
    6 years ago
    Perhaps a live plant (a tall one?) for the corner near your nightstand?
  • D DN
    6 years ago
    You add to the bed "fluff" by layering items with different textures. For example, I have two quilts strategically placed at the bottom of my bed plus a faux fur throw to make it look ultra lux.
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    I like the room a lot. I wouldn't add anything, but I might remove some items from the nightstand to reduce crowding. Good luck!
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    If you don't have a ceiling light fixture, I'd add one.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

If you like it the way it is, leave it the way it is. When you ask what to add? Yup.......you will get opinion. I think ADDING to what you now have ( on walls) will get you the clutter you don't want, because when the scale of things is off.....that's what happens. You get clutter. So leave it and enjoy. greenery and all.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I think you'd get different suggestions if you'd take a picture of the entire wall(as I said above), rather than just a piece of it....Best Wishes.

• Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here's the full wall, and a panoramic of the room. The large black mirror and the gallery wall are black to complement the bed frame as is the round vase and small dish on the night stands. The room is only around 10x11 and the doors on either side of the gallery wall go to the ensure and closet respectively
  • abbyspencer
    6 years ago
    Cute and inexpensive wall decor to match this bedding. I looking for items at target, hobby lobby, tjmaxx, marshals places that aren't going to break the bank. I kinda like the rustic chic look if that helps. Thank you for your help!
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Lower what's over the headboard. Invest in a blackout roller blind.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I would change out the lamp shades to white add a white faux fur throw...change up the pillows put the accent green pillows at the back layer white in front (maybe a little white fur pillow) so that the green is just peeking out..remove the small patterned pillow keep things simple:) you could change your duvet insert it doesn't seem to be giving you the fluffy lift you want...this is the insert that will give you the fuller puffy look:)

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

What about adding 2 more living walls - giving you 3 that would spread across the wall? What about putting a mirror or piece of artwork behind the lamps?

• Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Took some of the advice and added a faux fur throw and pillow. The living wall is going to be extended as it's too small, so it will be as wide as the headboard. I am keeping an eye out for new side tables but it's not a rush.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Looks much better! Very pretty...yes work on those end tables and still would change out your lamp shades to white...are you going to get a fuller insert for your duvet?

• PRO
    LEM Me Do It Dezygnz
    6 years ago

Consider a
    strong bright vertical with purple and green combined in composition. The
    space for this might be above and behind the night stands or next to either
    side of the curtains.

• sillycannoli
    6 years ago
    Please feel free to ignore as you said you don't want to change what you already have. I do think you'd be happier with wider and shorter bedside tables.
  • sillycannoli
    6 years ago
    BTW, I like your room
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I wouldn't add anything.
    Looks Good to me!
  • Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Definitely thinking of getting the fluffier duvet but when it gets colder as we are already roasting as it is! The other thing is I would prefer organic cotton for the duvet, which makes things harder.

Lamp shades I may shift to white- I just thought the dark worked with the antique gate headboard and the gallery wall, as there are black accent accessories on the side tables
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Emily Henderson says stylists use tricks to make the bed look "fluffier" by adding extra layers so you may be trying to achieve a look that's not as realistic. You can find organic cotton duvets....just google...
  • Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay - so I'm now thinking you're right and lampshades can go white. Should they take up more space though?

Someone suggested a bright vertical purple/green - do you mean an art print? Will it not be too cluttered?

Thinking of adding drapes beside the sheers since right now they look weird to me without drapes framing them, and they're always completely covering the window for privacy. What colour? I was thinking a gray or a sage green, but should it be white?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

White shades will have to be pretty much the same size because of your lamp base....but you can change the shape.....oh white drapes would be dreamy!! So many pretty ones to pick from with texture or trim...your black frames are just enough to balance out the space with the black headboard....you could keep your side tables and add a glass round top to just expand the surface a bit more....you also can paint the underside of the glass white and than place on top of side table....will really look nice and make them appear larger.

Victoria D thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

This is a great company....

• Tammy Smith
    6 years ago
    I used to work at pottery barn. You have to double stuff the duvet to get the fluffy look. PB display duvets are always double stuffed.. I have two down alternative comforters in my duvet.
  • Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Organic bedding _ Looks great (Sol organics) but it's the duvet that I'm after that isn't made with petrochemicals. I have organic bedding.

Nightstand glass_ what a great idea! I may have to try that and see if it helps make the space look more balanced. I was thinking perhaps some mirrored frame mirrors behind the lamps might also do the trick, but I'm not sure - I've seen some photos of it working in other bedrooms.

Drapes_ any suggestions on texture and white colour? Needs to work with the lace sheers and be super long (the sheers are ikea, 98"). Do I want an organza? Or a linen? or??

PB Display_ thanks for the tip - I figured they were doing something magical to make them look so darn fluffy. My bed is PB (Stratton). I thought doing the Z fold (which is essentially doubling the duvet on itself) would do the trick but it didn't really do much for fluffing :(

• Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If anyone's interested, I just spent an embarrassing amount of time researching duvets/comforters and loftiness (the term used for being super fluffy) and it seems that down will always be loftier than hypoallergenic alternative, and that you can spend $1k on a duvet. Now I know what "fill power" is, and am hunting for a reasonably priced, high fill power down comforter.

• Nancy
    6 years ago

Very pretty room. May I ask where you got your duvet cover?

• simstress
    6 years ago

I like The Company Store. If I lived someplace cold, I might get this comforter. 700-750 fill power. Look at the fat loft on it!

• Lauren L
    6 years ago
    I also agree that there is nothing I'd add to the space-it's beautiful!! I do agree with white lamp shades. If you ever purchase shorter nightstands in the future (therefore dropping the height of your lamps) then you may want to add something on the side of but slightly lower than that living piece you have. I love these Umbra Trigg Holders!!
  • Victoria D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The duvet cover is from BHG :)

And yeah, that loft is amazing. I'm in Vancouver, Canada. But my husband might kill me if I cook him alive at night all for the sake of a puffy looking bed :p