Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Please help - need paint color today

Tmnca
6 years ago

The painters start Monday and I need to finalize color choices - the dining/kitchen is stumping me. The dining area has lots of light from the west with a large patio slider. The kitchen is an alcove off the dining area and faces north. Cabinets will be IKEA bodbyn off white (warm white) counters caesarstone Symphony Gray and floors Mannington Adura Max dockside driftwood.

The living room which adjoins the dining room will be revere pewter (color match in SW paint) but I want something with a bit of color in here since the counters are gray. Here are some of the choices I am considering with the countertop sample and the flooring sample. I don't have a cabinet door.

Does anyone have feedback or personal experience with these colors? Other suggestions?

quietude

Niebla Azul or possibly Stardew

Tradewind

Comments (27)

• suzanne_sl
    6 years ago

Light makes such a huge difference in color choice. Can you preview these colors in your space? Do you want to tend green or blue? I seem to recall that Revere Pewter tends green (?), so maybe one of the greener colors. BUT it all depends on your light. Try them in the space.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The house is in a different city and with my husband's work schedule and me st home without a car and with our baby who gets horribly carsick, I can't preview anything in the new home. Exposure and light is similar to our current home though.

Revere pewter is chameleon and does have green and brown undertones - the dining area has an open doorway to LR so the colors will change at the doorway (opening to ceiling so a defined transition) unless we just run the color into the LR too.

I think I will like any of these, but would love to see examples on a wall!

pam niebla azul was my first choice - so I'm leaning toward it.

i would just extend revere pewter in here but I'm afraid of having gray undertone problems or being too monotone.

We already had various blue shades planned for the bedrooms so I was trying to branch out to consider a green, so we don't end up with the "blue house". This is much harder than our current home with open floor plan we just painted everything in the open area Mascarpone (warm white) but we wanted a bit more color on the walls this time.

• tinybluesparkles
    6 years ago

How about something like Palladian Blue? Its a really nice gray-green-blue. It is definitely a chameleon color- sometimes it's greener and sometimes it's bluer. Sort of between Quietude and Niebla Blue.

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Agree top too green ... I'm super fussy about staying on same tone (i.e. cool vs warm). I would put your color swatches right next to the Revere Pewter where they would be seen close together and in different lighting if possible. Sea Salt is complimentary to Revere Pewter.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mawizz is sea salt warmer? It looks just as green to me but maybe a bit muddier. The counter has warm gray tones as does the floor thus the choice of RP, which I am willing to rethink - we currently have it in our bathrooms and I thought it would look great in the new LR with red brick fireplace and our grey-brown leather sofa.

looking back at these photos I think maybe the colors are too "clean" as well as cool, and need more muddiness.

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

I would say the Sea Salt has a hint of a gray undertone if that's what mean by muddier and therefore compliments Revere Pewter.

looking back at these photos I think maybe the colors are too "clean" as well as cool, and need more muddiness.

Yes, exactly

I used similar a similiar complimentary color in the master bath but the main part of my home is Worldly Grey which is cooler than Revere Pewter.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Take a look at Sherwin Williams krypton. I have it in my house and love it, goes very well with gray. It changes color from grayish to blueish. I get many compliments. But get a sample and do a test with it because it is hard to find an online image that looks true and every monitor looks different.

• Caroline Hamilton
    6 years ago

Are you in a coastal community? I have my beach house kitchen painted in Sea Salt and it is the perfect color for that. Not too green or too gray very fresh looking. We get lots of compliments.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know that I risk disappointment without testing swatches but our timeline and distance from the house doesn't allow - I will not be setting foot in it until moving day.

here are some pics of sea salt and neighboring strips I love these color categories. From photos of real rooms I can see sea salt can appear green or aqua and not as gray as the paint chip, so I will assume all these nearby colors would look brighter in person and probably too bright!

natural light

Fan deck next to wall painted Bm wedgewood gray - a color I love and know goes well with revere pewter. It looks close to tradewind here.

Samples next to wedgewood gray wall in natural light and then in incandescent light

And the samples next to revere pewter in our bathroom which unfortunately has no natural light

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Hmm that swatch does look bright next to your countertop ... light does matter! Can't believe how dark Revere Pewter looks in the last pic. I like Caroline live in a beach town so was going for a beachy feel in my master bath with all white cabinetry and went with BM Smoke as a compliment to Wordly Grey. Maybe you'd like that? As a heads up It is more blue than Sea Salt tho.

• prairiemom61
    6 years ago

SW Rainwashed looks beautiful with Revere Pewter.

• herbflavor
    6 years ago

tradewind is my favorite.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the rainwashed and sea salt from photos online, I will take a look at Smoke too, though I was hoping to use SW colors other than the revere pewter just because I always wonder how the pigments come out when mixed with another manufacturer's paint. I really don't think we can go wrong with any of these colors.

and yes our new house is in a beach town so "beach" vibe is what I am going for!

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

FWIW I did have SW mix the BM's smoke for me. It was done with a computer mix machine and matched the swatch exactly. Keep us posted :) so many great beachy colors now!

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We decided to go with sea salt for the dining/kitchen - love all the photos online whether it looks blue or green, and it seems like a safe bet.

We'll use rainwashed and tradewind in bathrooms and bedrooms!

once it's done of course I will post a before/after reveal

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Yay! Going to look great! Can't wait to see :)

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

MaWizz: I just did our downstairs family room in Worldly Grey and adjoining bedrooms in BM Smoke...bathroom in BM Sterling....love the combo!

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Rantontoo love it too! I'm gonna check out Sterling don't know that one

• Kim L
    6 years ago

any pics of this color floor, now that it's done?? Thanks

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are still settling in (takes longer with a baby!) but here are a couple pics.

the Sea Salt looks a lot mintier in our home than I expected but it's a nice change for me and moved me slightly out of my comfort zone.

Showing more of the floor

• Kim L
    6 years ago

Looks fabulous, thank you for sharing. I ordered this exact floor today...can't wait to rip out the carpet, and install this instead.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Exciting! Everyone who sees it compliments us on the choice. We were considering bamboo but the gardenweb forums talked me out of it due to problems with cupping and warping in humidity changes as well as the samples I got being very easy to scratch. We had vinyl plank in our previous home and although I was hoping for the authenticity of real wood this time, it would have been much more expensive for a quality floor and really with a toddler vinyl seemed like a better option. We are very happy with our choice!

• Kim L
    6 years ago

So here is the new floor, dockside driftwood. I love it !

• Kim L
    6 years ago

At night

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kim yours looks fantastic too!

• kimbramer
    4 years ago

Does the driftwood color look both brown and grey?