Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Island slightly too large for most countertops- should i make smaller?

bardzil
6 years ago

My island currently requires a countertop slab measuring 135" x 60.5". This length eliminates quartz products and most natural stone without having a seam. I definitely don't want a seam.

My island has a 33" sink in the middle, two dishwashers on either side, and then 2 21" base cabinets on the ends. We had planned for one of the 21" base cabinets to be drawers and the other to be a trash pullout. The paneled "ends" of the island measure 3" each. Total length of cabinetry is 129" and fabricator says slab must be 135" long.

In order to shorten my island a few inches, I could consider reducing the 21" base cabinets to 18", which would reduce the overall island length by 6". If I do this, then I should only need a 129" x 60.5" slab. I would have more options with this size including Cambria quartz and more natural stone options as well.

My question is whether 18" will be adequate for the trash pullout and drawer stack or would it really be much better to keep the 21"? I was going to keep silverware in the drop drawer of the drawer stack. If I keep the 21" base cabinets, then countertops will either have to have a seem or a giant slab of natural stone (which is hard to find).

What is ideal size for trash pullout between 18" and 21"? Will I really miss the extra 3" in the drawers?

Comments (23)

• debbie12153
    6 years ago

My trash pull out is 18 inches. 21 sounds large for a trash pull out to me.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I'd lose one of the four dishwashers.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

Surely you mean a DW on each side of the sink. I'd use the 18" trash and 18" drawer base. My trash pull-out is 12" (all the space I had, and I think I heard it squeak as I installed it ;). It is sufficient for our family of 5.

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

I have an 18" trash and recycle pullout with drawer above next to an 18" 3 drawer stack in my island. Works well for me as I do silverware in one and knives in the other.

• bardzil
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There are 2 DW (not 4).

• beachem
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lose one of the dishwasher and reduce to 18". I had the same problem and reduced my island to 18", 18", 36", DW.

i put in 6 drawers for each 18" including toe kick and have plenty of room. You just have to make sure that each drawer is custom and usable in height.

• bardzil
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We need 2 dishwashers (we have 3 boys and there are always a lot of dishes). I do think we could save 6" by reducing the cabinets at the ends to 18" rather than 21". We lose some drawer space, but I think that is worth it in order to not have a seam in the counter. I just wanted to make sure the trash pullout would still work at 18" and that I was making the right decision.

• dan1888
    6 years ago

I'd consider a smaller sink. 33" is. beyond what is needed for anything I have to cleanup.. I'd keep wider drawers.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Depending on how you use the DWs you could also do one 24" and one 18".

• PRO
    Lampert Lumber - St. Croix Falls
    6 years ago

With several manufacturers, the waste bins in an 18" and 21" cabinet will be the same size. It's just the wood or metal platform they're mounted into that changes in width. So depending on the manufacturer you may not be sacrificing anything.

• numbersjunkie
    6 years ago

I agree that 18 is fine for even a double trash pullout. And 18 is fine for drawers IF you have frameless cabinets. If not, talk to your cabinet person to find out how much interior space the drawers will have.

• bardzil
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Janecalle, thanks for posting pics.. very helpful to see the size. Do you have frameless cabinets?

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Janecalle pretty cabinetry and hardware! Love the 4 drawer stack. 2 questions...I see you have different pulls in the middle 2 drawers...is that for visual interest? Also was curious if your pullout trash was an option with your particular cabinetry or revashelf type?

• janecalle
    6 years ago

bardzil, no they are not frameless. MaWizz, yes, we like to mix it up and we tend to be "rule breakers" when it comes to design. and the pull-out trash was a cabinetry option, not a revashelf. I will post photos below so you can see how we mixed up the hardware sizes and orientation. This is the 3rd home I have completely remodeled over my many years. Went from 8000 s.f. to 5000 s.f (both historical homes) to this 3000 s.f crazy, not my usual style home on an amazing waterfront lot. We call it "rustic contemporary". But oh, was it ugly. Many here will say, no,no on the busy rustic backsplash with the granite countertops that "should be the star". No subway for this place. Wouldn't change a thing for this particular spot, style and our now emerging empty nest status (3 boys out, one more with a big toe out). Bardzil, as Mom of 4 boys I get the dishwasher thing! Became a big fan of the double drawer dishwasher. Good luck with your remodel!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Shrink the island and eliminate the seam; you won't be sorry. Don't shrink the sink cabinet, please.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

It may be Rev-A-Shelf. Some cabinet manufacturers use Rev-A-Shelf inserts, etc. with their cabinetry.

• janecalle
    6 years ago

To clarify. Not a Rev-A-Shelf.

• M
    6 years ago

You could also get a trash compactor. They're 15" wide

• catbuilder
    6 years ago

Well, that is a rev-a-shelf door mounting kit. Just because they didn't tell you that's what it is, doesn't mean it isn't. By the way, rev-a-shelf if not a bad product or an insult.

• janecalle
    6 years ago

Never thought it (rev-a shelf) was a bad product at all, but pull-out was built into early plans. Can't confirm the manufacturer (or part of cabinet maker) so thanks for pointing out the possibilities.

• jmorawiec
    6 years ago

I'd go with an 18" garbage and drawer stack. We have 18" garbage and 17" drawer stack and they're both plenty big. Definitely don't get rid of the second dishwasher!! We just finished a kitchen remodel and added a second dishwasher, best decision ever!

• bardzil
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I'm going to do this unless I happen to come across a large enough natural stone for our original island size.