Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kallan

Granite installer using my kitchen design on FB without my permission

Ruby Law
6 years ago

I have been designing and doing a lot of the work on my kitchen remodel since about November, 2016. Last month, my beautiful cabinets were given a terrible granite install job. This company has refused to even come out and look at my concerns, but they can post my photos from a distance. I have asked them to remove the photos, but was sent this reply as "artisans of stone built and installed these countertops. We take pictures of all of our jobs and post them. No where do we state the names of the customers. These pictures are our property and we can post them because we did this work. Thank you."

I am so uncomfortable with this. How would I go about getting these deleted? FB doesn't seem to help. Supporting this company by allowing them to use my kitchen for their promotional gain just doesn't feel right.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm going to have to take their side here. It may be your house and your money, but it's a picture of my job and my work. People here have learned a lot from the pictures I've posted. I've disabled my GPS on my pictures and make sure no family photos or other personal identification is visible. I've never been asked to remove any posted pictures, but probably would consider so on a case-by-case basis only.

How can I do my job without pictures like this of my crew testing the strength of the drawer side?

The best cure for speech you don't like is more speech. I'd quote their response all over the internet and count on most people knowing that "nowhere" is one word.

Ruby Law thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

You likely don't have much recourse to force them to do it. People have a right to privacy that can sometimes be enforced, albeit sometimes with significant difficulty, in unauthorized photo use situations but property such as your countertops have no such rights You already asked nicely and got a FU. If you feel strongly about your negative experience post honest reviews on Google, Angie's list, FB, etc

• User
    6 years ago

You don't own their pictures. They can take and post pictures of their work. If you are not happy with their work, you can also take and post pictures of the lack that you perceive, and name names, since they are proud enough of it to post it themselves. Of course, you risk being shown that your complaints are invalid. Just like here.

• Denita
    6 years ago

I understand where you are coming from Ruby Law but the others are right the photos belong to the photographer/installer of the granite. However, there is nothing preventing you from posting your own photos of the granite install and the areas of poor installation - if it shows in the photos. You can post on yelp or ripoff report or pissed consumer or any other website where you can tell the real story of your granite install. This action may cause the granite company to remove your granite photo installation from their Facebook page - may or may not. At least when people search for reviews for that granite company, your honest review will show the difficulty you had during your interaction with that company.

Ruby Law thanked Denita
  • Ruby Law
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC--- I can see that you truly care about your clients needs. My drawers are large and strong enough for my grandson to stand up in as well! I, too, am thinking that if this company took pride in their work to make it their best, it would show in their work.

The job is unacceptable to me, but instead of arguing with me, in reality they can't argue with the MIA (Marble Institute) guidelines that have been in place for 70 years.

I feel like they are misrepresenting their craftsmanship as artisans of stone. If they want to post pictures, asking permission is just good customer relations. Closeup pictures of the gaps, cut out of new dry wall, seams, chips, etc. should be included to show their skill as well.

• User
    6 years ago

You can't tell jack by close-up, and the standard is visible at 3'. If it's not visible at 3', then it's fine. No one ever gets as close as you have.

• Ruby Law
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie Wheeler: My open kitchen design with no upper cabinets on my long sink wall is very visible as you walk into this area and especially when I'm in front of the sink which will be a good amount of time. With these trenches of silicone or lack of silicone, water will eventually find a way in.

Have you had the experience of granite being cut and dust everywhere? This job was measured incorrectly. It does not fit my walls at all. I'll take some photos farther back for perspective.

Your reply seems to disregard the gaps at 3/8"-1/2", as well as the rough and uneven seams, bad caulk job, discrepancies in overhang, and so many other flaws. Is this your normal?

They knew that I did not want an outdated 4" backsplash from day one. Getting one now would create just more issues, see: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/granite-installer-installed-backsplash-and-left-1-2-inch-caulk-line-dsvw-vd~4483263?n=28. FYI, this is not my first granite install. Other granite jobs have been scribed perfectly to my walls with just 1/16" gaps easily filled with caulk with no onsite cutting of granite or removal of drywall. This is just a simple U shape counter with not too much geometry involved. Would you enjoy working in this kitchen?

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    6 years ago

Pictures really don't show much and I agree with the 3' general rule of thumb....I have seen hundreds of kitchen remodeling projects including high end ones and if you look close enough, there's always something. I think it has to do with expectations...

In regards to those photos, the only thing you can do is post a negative review somewhere but I'm surprised they denied you, even if it's their legal right, they should do it just to make you feel a bit better.... Customer service comes first..

Ruby Law thanked Pearl Remodeling
  • Ruby Law
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all your advice and keep it flowing. LOL, I know there is no such thing as perfection, but I didn't expect trenches that I could roll marbles in either.

I'll take some photos with points of reference including a ruler.

Years ago, when I had a business, customer service was my priority. Without that, I'd never grow the business.

• diyrob17
    6 years ago

I agree that posting photos inside your home is something that should have been run by you first. A simple "hey can we post photos of your home online?" would have been a nice courtesy.

Ruby Law thanked diyrob17
  • Julie B
    6 years ago

Although it might be nice customer service (and I think most companies usually inform their customers that pics may be posted), they are allowed to post whatever pictures they want, so long as it doesn't reveal any personal information. If you have workmanship issues, that is a separate problem. You can always post comments on their FB page to tell future customers your experience, but be careful about disparaging the company. As long as what you post is true (and backed up with documentation), you are fine, so use their own social media as a way to express your opinion.

Ruby Law thanked Julie B
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

We have about 6 fantastic projects that we can not post pictures of because our clients ask us not to. Never would I post with out permission.

Ruby Law thanked User
  • Ruby Law
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This company's FB page is blocked to post a negative comment. My husband tried it, but it does not show when I look at the page normally. I guess you can control anything you want on FB. I also noticed that on their google reviews, the owner, the office manager and some of the workers posted 5 star reviews to water down the 1 and 2 stars that were on there. Unfortunately, the internet reviews and BBB site seemed to be advocates for the irresponsible company, so this will continue.