Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epointhome

Appliance Design Dilemma

epointhome
6 years ago

Let's talk appliances for a bit- I need your advice! How crucial is it that all of the appliances match in your kitchen?

Here is the design dilemma.

For starters this potentially would be a new house, but we hate the kitchen....so we would be making some changes.

1. For instance -

If I were redoing a kitchen but had new double ovens, but wanted to put in let's say a Subzero Fridge and a Wolf 48 inch Oven/Cooktop (I have to stay at 48 inches ...with Wolf there is only one oven and a small oven) . I need two full ovens. I have considered keeping the doubles
since they came with the house....but they are a different brand but will work fine and on a totally different wall of the kitchen then the other two appliances. All appliances are stainless steel.

Is that crazy?

2. Would you keep the dishwasher that is new and just panel it although it wouldn't possibly be your first choice ? Or do people really care about a stupid dishwasher and what brand you use. I have gone through so many DW's with 4 kids that I am so beyond almost all of this.

I need serious advice to see if I have just lost it altogether. PS I live in a hut in the 3rd world all summer....so I am keen to the fact that this is a first world problem and ridiculous.

Comments (10)

• simstress
    6 years ago
    Don't think too much about it. Brands don't have to match, but it's good you're doing all stainless or paneled. That said, I wouldn't pair Wolf with an entry-level Whirlpool in the same kitchen (though I'm sure that's not your situation).
  • acm
    6 years ago

Try to get the best choice (by both ratings and your own personal need) in each category. Stainless appliances generally play well with each other, no matter the brand. Each one of my appliances comes from a different company!

• chloebud
    6 years ago

I agree...my ss appliances are different brands and look fine. You should buy for features you want instead of being tied to a brand. Reviews are beyond confusing with negatives for everything. Trust me, I've been there...and back again.

• skmom
    6 years ago
    I have a large family as well (5 teenagers) and I've decided that appliances do NOT have to match. I've decided that some appliances are just "disposable" for a large family... dishwashers and microwaves especially... we use them a lot more than an average sized family, so it's pretty good to get, say, 5 years out of a dishwasher when it's being run at least twice a day. ;)

My current kitchen has a grey 60" Viking range, a SS Kitchenaid side by side fridge (planning on eventually getting a subzero, hoping for paneled but hubby still wants SS so we shall see), an LG SS dishwasher (just had to replace the KA one, I previously had an all matching KA kitchen) but the LG fit the most dishes so that's what we got this time, and on the work side of the island I have a SS KA trash compactor and a Panasonic SS microwave below the counter (not the drawer kind, just a countertop kind on an open shelf with enough ventilation room on the sides)
    Anyways, I don't find the different finishes to be a distraction at all. I hope and expect the range and fridge to last much longer than a dishwasher in my family.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    If you have panel ready appliances, the brand makes no difference. What a difference do the ovens make as long as you are happy with the selection. I have Wolf & Subzero and I am not sure what you are talking about regarding the cooktop, my is six burners and quite large.
  • skmom
    6 years ago
    Oh, wanted to add... my last home had double ovens on a different wall than any of the other appliances and it still looked nice, and was fine logistically because it was close enough to another surface so I could set hot pans down quickly and easily. (I ended up not having all matching appliances in that kitchen as well because, well, you know, large families go through appliances more quickly than smaller families. LOL!)
  • skmom
    6 years ago
    And I was originally going for a 48" range, but had the same concerns about not having two full sized ovens. We ended up getting the 60" Viking only because we got a great deal on a floor model and we were able to spare the room for that sized range after all. I really like that I was able to keep the two full sized ovens.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

It's actually best that they do not match. Best in category for your needs is likely to be a mix of brands

• havingfun
    6 years ago

no, it is crazy to believe that true cook be forced to use appliances, just bcause they match. the subset should a true cook should always be force to cook on appliance that always work best!