Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vealaw1

Decor for awkward master bedroom wall

Valerie
6 years ago

I have a very awkward over the bed wall. Nothing I put together seems to fit. I typically like things to be fairly symmetrical, especially on the wall with the bed and two nightstands, but this window is really throwing me off. My latest idea was two ledge shelves with some picture frames to try and embrace the quirkiness. But now I can't figure out how to put the shelves up. Attaching a few pics with some drawing ideas.

I've had curtains up which looked awful, I took them down and am thinking some nice patterned romans. We are looking for a new bed with headboard, but it will be short so it doesn't cover up the window. Help! (new lamps and nightstands will happen soon too - just had to buy new appliances first!)

So here's with nothing.

It needs something. But curtains looked dumb and everything is off centered and obnoxious.

Ledge shelves - right aligned? I currently have two from pottery barn - one is 4ft and one is 3 ft.

Left aligned?

Centered? Centered on the remaining wall?

Open to any and all ideas. This is where the idea for the ledge shelves came from:

HELP!

Thanks in advance :)

Valerie

Comments (40)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

If you have shelves over your bed make sure any items on them are secured and not going to fall on your head.

Valerie thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • User
    6 years ago

Is there a reason you can't put your bed on the other wall? What are the dimmensions of the room?

Valerie thanked User
  • neverbedone
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If the bed can't be moved to the other wall, then I would try to make the wall look symmetrical by adding drapes right across the whole wall. You can pull them back a bit if you need access to that window and then put a matching panel of drapes on the other end of the other window. You could get drapes that have a nice pattern/color if you like feature walls. This would allow you to have a higher headboard as well.

Meat Packing District New York Loft · More Info
    Glenwood Residence · More Info

Or a panel of drapes or sheers on each side of the bed to cover the window but leave them straight and instead of a window in between as shown below, you could add some art.

Mirabelle Suites · More Info

North Shore Family Home · More Info

Valerie thanked neverbedone
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Forget about symmetry and aim for balance. See Oberto Gili's fireplace and window- no symmetry and utter perfection to my eyes.

Valerie thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Rina
    6 years ago

I think you can work with the asymmetry with a set of three pictures (that work together, of course, and framed in the same way). Blinds, Roman or even plain, would look good on the windows. An exercise in shapes:

Valerie thanked Rina
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Lose the nightstands. Get a bookcase headboard instead. Hang a plug-in double sconce centered over the bed, a piece of art about this size hanging off the edge of the headboard to balance the window on the other side.

Double Swing-Arm Tipton Sconce - Black · More Info

Valerie thanked groveraxle
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

I think a headboard would really help and like the mockup Lina did (eta, groveraxel was posting pics the same time as me so I didn't see them; like hers/his, too). I'd also look for a wall mounted lamp and forget the table lamps then get much smaller tables, maybe even wall mounted.

something on the order of these:

or maybe smaller versions of something like these:

Valerie thanked Olychick
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    6 years ago

Measure the very bottom of your window to the very top. Then measure the entire space to the right of the window. Measure an appropriate space for between the art pieces. The art will look like it was always supposed to be there! For art, check out your local artists and galleries, or art.com. Measure twice, buy once! If you are going for the art.com, get a print, then get it framed locally or if the print is (hopefully) a standard size, you can get frames on sale at AC Moore.

Valerie thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • User
    6 years ago

I like the bookcase headboard, wall mounted light and picture!

Valerie thanked User
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Better bedding...

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Fabric that includes pewter grey, like grover's light.. or repeats paint color and an art color:

I did like your aligned left shelves. And other like 3 canvas pieces [same size basically as window?].....

Himalaya Robins Egg Ikat Fabric · More Info

Valerie thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

but not centered, or at right....do you do graphic design?! :)

Valerie thanked everdebz
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

OK, I think I've got it now.

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

Woof!! I like that! but does it HaVE to be a bookcase headboard?? Ikea has this one-it comes in black also. 43" high, 12" deep.

Headboards - IKEA · More Info

Valerie thanked jansgirl
  • lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

I vote for Rina's idea. Asymmetry is a challenge but can lead to a much more interesting wall. Good luck!

Valerie thanked lovemrmewey
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Simple would seem best esp. if you'll try the shelves - $104 and other colors:

Camille Queen Upholstered Fabric Headboard, Gray · More Info

Valerie thanked everdebz
  • Seajay Sparkles
    6 years ago
    I wish OP would answer if the bed can be turned 45 degrees to the wall on the right. Did I miss something.
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

I agree 100% with that fabric that everdebz found and the advise that groveraxle give you about getting rid of the night stands. I'm not a fan of the light though! I can see you setting up in bed hitting your head on it and getting the glare in your face, I will leave it up to groveraxle to find something smaller and not so surgery room looking :))

Valerie thanked Geneviève
  • Valerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so much! I'm sorry I didn't get a notification that there were responses! That is the only place for the bed, what you see is really the room. This is the opposite wall which will have a mirror over the dresser. It's very small. Im loving these ideas. Please keep them coming. And I'm totally embarrassed I posted the pics without even making my bed. Just got too anxious to post!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

For reference, here's a pic of our room with one window to the side. You just live with it in a small house.

Valerie thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Valerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about something like this. I'm liking the asymmetrical idea... I'm not sure I can do away with nightstands completely. Drawer and closet space is at a premium in this house. Again, apologies for the bed not being made and subpar graphic design skills.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

I would center one larger picture or mirror on the bed, not a bunch of stuff on the wall.

Valerie thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

1929Spanish-GW your room is very nicely done and by the look of it its a bit wider then the room that Valerie has sometimes a few inches can make a difference.

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

get smaller night tables those look too long ,you only need something to rest a clock a lamp a glass or bottle of water and if you have dentures a glass for those too:)) a bit of humour !!!

• Valerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Genevieve! They are too long because they're sideways! Need to find some smaller ones, but hoping for narrow with drawers. Spent my decorating money on all new appliances so have to prioritize for the time being :)

• Valerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh and room is 11' x 14'. A smaller bed would look better but would probably end in divorce!

• Geneviève
    6 years ago
    Valerie you save the ideas and when you can you replace the tables, you could make your own headboard and save a lot of money .
    Valerie thanked Geneviève
  • User
    6 years ago

I feel like something like this would work better for you:

And what about roman blinds the same color as your wall? It looks like the ones you have mostly will stay closed anyway...

Here's a diy tutorial using blinds like you have already....

http://honestlywtf.com/diy/diy-roman-shades/

Valerie thanked User
  • Valerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like that idea Pennydesign. Would you put those on the adjacent walls or look for narrow ones for the same wall as the bed?

• User
    6 years ago

Those are 27 wide, which may not fit, but I'm sure we can find something that fits perfectly. What size bed is it?

• User
    6 years ago

I would probably do something like this as well instead of lamps:

• charlenek168
    6 years ago

The right-aligned shelves look the best. I wouldn't put as much on them as the photo shows. It's a small room and would look too busy. The night stands can be replaced with corner bookshelves or corner floating shelves. Roman shades would look better than the blinds and add some softness and soundproofing.

• Seajay Sparkles
    6 years ago
    Here are some small profile night stands only 16" wide.

Urban Designs Weathered 3-Drawer Storage Chest Night Stand With Wicker Baskets · More Info
    Valerie thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Can you turn the bed by 90 degrees and have the head against the wall where groveraxle put the dog?

• amykath
    6 years ago

I had a bedroom that was sort of similar to yours(in the way of the window only on one side). This is what I did.

Valerie thanked amykath
  • cpaul1
    6 years ago

Normally the bed should go so that your feet would be pointing toward the door way. Without seeing the rest of your space, I would see if there was another wall you could put your bed on to get away from that odd window arrangement.

• Valerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, cpaul - the bed won't work on another wall, and it does have our feet pointing at the doorway. It's just a really small and awkward space.

• User
    6 years ago

Here's a little IKEA Eket wall mounted cabinet for 25 dollars. They're 13" square.

They also do a double that's the same width but taller at 13 by 27 high. for 40.

For the time being I would get some plywood and foam and fabric and DIY my headboard. It's super easy to do and clearance fabric makes it extremely budget friendly.

Valerie thanked User
  • Valerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, pennydesign! I think I'm going to look at floating headboards with integrated nightstands. Something like this maybe I can chalk paint and put some better drawer pulls on. And still love the simple hanging pendant light idea. Kind of gives a blank slate for the above bed decor I'll have to play with a bit more. And definitely some nice Roman shades for the windows.