Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polkadotty1992

Flip flopper- should I or should I not paint w/ new color?Can't decide

Cindy C.
6 years ago

I thought my DR looked too dark, so I have already went out and bought a paint similar to what is in one of the photos below (the blue/green). Since then, I took down the heavy drapes and put up a white sheer AND added a white accent chair instead of the dark green. Added a few lighter things on the side table. I am thinking maybe these two changes alone have lightened it up somewhat?

Questions:

1. Are my current colors schemes dated?

2. Is my current color scheme with the couple of touches added (the white accent chair instead of green, the white sheers instead of heavy drapes) enough to lighten it up or does it still look too dark?

3. Would the frames on the walls look better in black to make them stand out more (even though I know the goal is to lighten up the room, still wondering if black might stand out more on the walls - the gold ssems somewhat to fade into the walls - but that could be me).

I feel like a flip-flopper and just cannot decide. I don't want to ruin a look I am not completely dissatisfied with given those couple of changes, but yet what if the new color combo would look even BETTER? It's the fear of the unknown, I guess! I honestly don't know if I should leave well enough alone or venture out for something new. Thoughts?

Picture 1 before changes

Picture 2 with a few changes

Proposed new color scheme (wall all with a color similar to this blue color but with a little more green, with no chair rail)

Comments (49)

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Well, IMO part of the darkness issue is related to the heaviness of the furnishings in the room -- the big cabinet, the upholstered chairs, etc. The drapes were a good start. I'd go further and eliminate those extra chairs (if you need them occasionally, can they be stored elsewhere?) and the basket/trunk. I assume the buffet/sideboard is functional so you'd need that to stay.

With a blue on the walls, your gold frames will stand out more. However, the frames seem heavy too, so if you're going to change them, I'd go with something lighter, less ornate.

I do think the dark red is sort of a dated color but be careful with the blue, because your room could end up just as dark feeling -- the blue you posted looks pretty dark on my screen. (And I do have a dark-ish blue dining room, so I like the look, but if you're looking to lighten up, you might want to go a little lighter than the pic you posted). Will blue work with your rug? I can't tell from the photo if there's any blue in there.

Finally, if you're repainting, I would suggest painting that "strip" near the ceiling the same as the ceiling color, not the wall color.

Pretty room, though! Just a little tweaking!

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Sue! Trunk can go , not sure where else I would put chairs. Since I don't want to get rid of the furniture, I wonder if a lighter rug would also help? A light ivory not really white but something closer to White without a pattern on it? Current rug would definitely have to go if I change to the blue paint. I'm just curious so if I kept the paint the same it's a lighter almost white or beige Aubrey looking rug would work even better to lighten it up a bit? I do want to go with a less ornate frame, just can't decide whether to do a wider light color or a black just to make it stand out more against the wall no matter what color that wall may be either blue or the brown.

One other thing that's holding me back on changing colors is the current brown. It ties into my hallway in other rooms and I feel like maybe that's what connects that room to the rest of the house. If I painted all blue, I wonder if I will break up the flow? We have an open floor plan so everything is visible.

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry about " Aubrey" - voice recognition failed :)

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The red on bottom is making my eye go down, to other 'heavy' things; the upholstered chairs, with the thick carpet...

I like the teal color, but is there teal in the carpet? It appears to be more olive and beige.

I think the other problem here is not what you have, but the size of the room can't take the size and heftiness of your pieces. Big china cabinet, big art... I would take down the two matching art pieces and put sconces or leave bare.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

When you say 'the current brown', do you mean the beige color above the chair rail? Would you consider painting below the chair rail your white or off-white trim color? Is it burgundy below the chair rail now? It does make it dark...

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

My first gut instinct when I saw the room is that there are too many items in there. All the art, except maybe the one over the sideboard, should be removed. I feel like a simple mirror there might be even better to bounce some light around.

I get having to keep those spare two chairs in there, but try removing that other one that doesn't match. The table and hutch look expensive, but if possible maybe replace the sideboard with something in a lighter color.

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK I'm going to try to do this with my voice recognition and hope it doesn't mess me up again :-) the color Beneath the chair rail is a Burnt orange. The rug will have to be changed if the color of the room changes, as it is burnt orange green olive and cream. In addition to taking out some of the arts, I wondered if just changing the rug to a solid ivory or very light tan without a pattern would also make a big difference? If I can decide that, I may not need to change the paint at all. I do like the salmon color shown is it example :-)

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

If it were my room, I'd take off the rail and paint the whole wall one light color. I would remove the piece to the right that looks almost black and move your hutch to that wall, I'd turn the dining room set so it's in the narrow position looking towards the room, that will automatically make the room look larger and you can still keep the rug. I also think too many chairs.

Cindy C. thanked Yayagal
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

What made you pick the blue/green paint color? Is that color in your rug? Usually paint colors are chosen based on colors in your fabrics and textiles. I'd remove all the framed items and see how much lighter it will feel. I don't think dining rooms are the place for family photos, if that's what's in the ornate frames. If you can't change the rug or furniture then pick on of the lighter colors from the border of it for your paint color.

Cindy C. thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Laurie Schrader
    6 years ago

I think paint is the least of your concerns, and I actually think the "declutter/make it sales-ready" will be easier than that.

Sometimes we forget- what is pleasing to live in- one person to another- is often different from what is most pleasing to the eye, in a sale. Just a fact.

Take no offense, from anybody: Edit this room, fairly severely. I see exactly what you have, and I bet I could sit and have a relaxing dinner there, served by wonderful hosts.

But as a buyer? My eyes would go to the very specific artwork, all the stuff on the table/side and in the hutch to the chandelier to the floors (through the rug)- and I'd be hard pressed to "see" the possibilities, for myself.

Edit, throughout your house, and be confident that it isn't a judgment on your style, just a way to allow buyers to "place themselves" in your place, and then make it theirs.

Not being harsh, just real.

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Will try to respond to everything but may have to take a break (at work) but will be back and respond to others :)) I am NOT looking to sell, so not super-concerned about what a buyer might think. We have been here 19 years and probably not moving, BUT, I am definitely still open to de=cluttering :))

As to the choice of new paint color, it complements the room directly across from it (remember we have an open floor plan) as well as the great room which is caddy-cornered and still visible from this room (hard to get a photo with all three rooms). So color chosen on that alone and NOT rug, WHICH WILL GO - rug will go with new paint, and considering getting a solid WHITE, BEIGE, lighter color regardless. So rug is GOING one way or another. Does it make more sense with the green/blue knowing the 'big picture' of how it connects with the other open, adjoining rooms?? TOTALLY get it on the decluttering, and working on that, but getting back to the paint issue...............

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Forgot to say...............I will measure and see if I can get the hutch to fit on the other wall.............

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Yes, the current color scheme feels dated. I would lighten the walls and remove the excess furniture (wicker basket, extra chairs, extra framed pictures on the credenza to the right). I would not change the frames of the paintings --They are gorgeous and lend themselves well to the classic style.

Here's some inspiration on color:

LEED Residence Belle Meade · More Info
    Georgian Restoration · More Info

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

HMorton, does a dining room table HAVE to have a rug under it? I like your idea.......just wondering if a dining room HAS to have a rug under it. Maybe it doesn't. Anyone have thoughts on that? Maybe I am missing the obvious and taking out a rug and having NONE would be another solution.............does anyone think NOT having a rug would be an option or would it be awkward looking?

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

You don't have to have a rug.

If you're purpose of a rug is to protect the floors then have one.

If you aren't worried about scratches, spills on floor, you don't need one.

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK - I am going to try removing the rug as an additional step and see what it looks like.............

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I do not have a dinning area rug (apartment living, no dinning room). I would rather clean beautiful wooden floors than have crumbs sticky stuff etc. get on a rug that is hard and expensive to clean. But I hate wall to wall carpet and love beautiful antique Persia/Oriental rugs with beautiful hardwood floors in living areas.

• User
    6 years ago

I think you're ready for a change, here...

When you can, move out what's not staying. Then stand back and take another photo.

Are you able to just do a buffet in there (does your china cabinet split into two)? I got rid of the top half of mine and the difference it makes is huge. I had to get rid of/relocate a lot of stuff, but I certainly don't miss it....

You may have to stay with warm colors, but I see NO reason you can't go with a different color.

Don't stress. It's just paint. It should be fun.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Take out the extra chairs, any fillers in the room.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Thinking that you leave wall color and paint below chair rail white. I don’t think the blue/green paint is going to make a huge difference.

I big project: but I don’t like looking into the room and seeing the breakfront and the framed pictures. Moving the breakfront to the right inside wall, opposite the window frees up that large wall and give the space a deeper look. Possibly a mirror(s) there.

The framed black art, put that between the front windows.

All other furniture and wall decor is gone….plants, everything. Including table top items.

Six dining chairs remain. Keep two in the host/hostess spots and the each of the four claim the corners.

Cindy C. thanked JudyG Designs
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Some excellent suggestions above. Let me see if I can translate some of them into renderings. This could take awhile. ;-)

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, that would be GREAT, Groveraxle! I am impressed! :))

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Here are a few looks for you. I hope you don't mind, but Daisy likes to watch.

If you'd like to see anything else like a different color on the walls, let me know. I can probably do it in a few keystrokes now that I have your furniture mostly cut out. Just don't ask me to put back your odd chairs. They're permanently removed.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Cindy, FWIW, I'm not much into traditional looks and normally wouldn't deal with a room like this except your room manages to be welcoming and not stuffy, yes, even with all the crystal and gold. I love the casual touch the white sheers add, the ornate gold picture frames feel a little cheeky, the rug is just right, and the geisha and her chest are perfect.

I can see a five course meal served by candlelight here. At the same time, a friendly game of poker with beer would be equally at home. I like this room.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Without chair rail:

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

It's the burgundy and brown.

I like the chair rail. It's a counter point to what's going on at the ceiling and ties in with the molding at the room entrance. Also, not sure how big a deal it is to remove it without destroying the drywall. I also like the art with the ornate gold frames, perhaps slightly more with the gray, because that color seems a bit more modern to me.

Cindy C. thanked nosoccermom
  • Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

WOWWWWW, Groveraxel - what a HUGE difference even these changes make - just wow! And WELCOME DAISY - LOL!!!! Love having her in my photos! :))) I honestly don't know which of those options I like best - and all are improvements. Just wow. Could you do another one with a color similar to Behr "Half Sea Fog"? It's a littler greener/bluer than what you have but also a sort of gray. http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/N470-3

SOOO very grateful to have these photos!! So much more 'real' being able to see the possibilities.

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

PS - I realize the "Half Sea Fog" won't look right with the rug, but it will still help me get the visual - I WILL be getting a new rug if I go with a new color.

• nicolediane
    6 years ago

This one by Groveraxel!!

Cindy C. thanked nicolediane
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Here's half sea fog with a couple of new rugs. (Sorry about the extra dog, but they all seem to love this room.)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I like grover's rendition with the two pictures in place of the china. If you need the storage, put the china opposite the windows. I'd remove the items between the windows and get a new rug to determine the wall colors. You can do without the chair rail and the painted trim on the ceiling.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Whatever color you paint, paint the same color both above and below the chair rail. It will make your room feel bigger. I would NOT remove the chair rail.

I have a small DR and I got rid of the rug when I had new curtains made last winter. I had intended to replace it but didn't. I quite like the bare floor! If I got a new rug, it would be seagrass - love the informality of it with formal mahogany furniture.

I think the huge china cabinet is the problem in this small room. I know you probably need it for storage, but if not, find another home for it - at least for a while. It's very heavy, and yes, the awful "d" word - dated.

Here is my "rug-less" DR:

• User
    6 years ago

What about dark blue? Scary to a lot of people but I love it as it's rather neutral and goes with cool and warm colors. Especially beiges and golds...

You could do below the chair rail white...

Look at the color combination in this room (obv, not like yours so just for color):

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    Grover's work showed well that your room needs the relief of removing things. Minus the China cabinet or at least the two large artworks, the room breaths. The chair rail is also not the problem. I like it. I would just paint the bottom color out to match the upper.
  • Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just measured and china cabinet will fit on wall where sideboard is! Moving it there will help as an option to removing completely??

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    I think that will give the space a more open feel Cindy.
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

With the china moved...

...and REmoved:

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Wow, I think I like the china cabinet removed...

But it does help with putting it on right wall too.

• carolt924
    6 years ago

Love the china cabinet removed, room looks so much more open. I would also paint the walls both above and below chair rail the same color. I think the white sheers are great, but would change out the rods as they look a bit country, are they wooden? I think I would use a metal rod with smaller brackets. Also, maybe larger artwork between the windows?

Cindy C. thanked carolt924
  • Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

WOW again..............I really like it better with the china cabinet moved. I don't understand how people actually use their rooms in a functional way without having SOME piece of furniture other than a table in it. Unless you live in a huge house, where are you supposed to store your china and other things you might use in the dining room? I totally get not wanting things to look cluttered, but at what point is function considered over just aesthetics? I really, really need that china cabinet for function - and I TRULY like it on the other wall! WOw, never would have thought to do that, yet something so simple! I am thinking I may have found just the right combination here! :)

• Cindy C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ooh! I see we picked up a new friend in this one, too! :))))))))))))))) Woof!

• carolt924
    6 years ago

I agree with your last comment Cindy. I just love, love, love the look of your two paintings hung together and the site line viewing them. If you love and want to keep your china cabinet I would move it to the other wall. Also, I have a 1952 dining room set with a china cabinet I would never take out of my dining room, lol. The matching buffet would not fit in my dining room so it lives in the living room.

Cindy C. thanked carolt924
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Cindy, the room looks best with the china cabinet gone, but it looks good with it on the side wall and, since form follows function, IMO that's where it should go.

• nan-nan
    6 years ago

This has been a fun thread! Love the additional furry friends too. I think that you have to decide what works best for you in terms of furniture needed for storage and try to make other changes that will help to lighten the look. As I just posted in the thread on minimalism not everybody is comfortable with the same level of objects in their decor.

I had posted a few days ago on design dilemma about my dining room which has some of the same issues and I was hoping to get some ideas to make it more light as well. Now I have the flu so I won't be making any changes until I feel better but I love that we can learn from another here. You might want to have a look at that thread and see what people said there and if anyone has further thoughts on my room I of course welcome more feedback.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4847172/hysterical-grey-dining-room#20692466

Cindy C. thanked nan-nan
  • Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Yknow, IMHO, I wish we all could drop the "D" word from our vocabulary. If we love it , if its well made, if its functional - then a place can be found for it, period. In other words - your china cab is just fine, and it does look good on the side rather than viewed head on.

That said of course we like our rooms freshened up now and then - but I think you can jazz it up in other ways incl choosing a new color ILOVE greens/browns/tans, but the pea soup color Im kind of tired of. (or so it looks on my monitor anyway, which has been known to be wrong.)

Definitely think about going deeper richer. Dont know if Penny's or Anglo's deep dark colors are good for you but it gives you an idea at least of what deeper/richer could do for you. If all else fails maybe you could just take the living room color and just go a few steps darker/more intense with it. Let the DR be cozy and intimate complete w/ a big china cabinet - why not? The DR should relate well to the LR, and that would be one way of doing it.

Minor quibble - I would think about that wall space where the china cab was - is there a third pic that could fit in there? With cabinet moved, that wall becomes very significant. Not liking just the two pics , needs to be 3 I think..... Or some other wall decor or arrangement .... minor thing, so perhaps just wait for the inspiration or right thing to come along.

Cindy C. thanked Debbie Downer
  • caroline94535
    6 years ago

I love the China cabinet, and I love it in the new position.

I love all the wonderful photos and photoshopping folks have generously shared.

I LOVE your red paint. If anything, I'd lighten the top part of the walls to a softer, lighter version of the color they are now - or go all deep, dark red! And lose the stripe on the ceiling.

But I am biased and I love rich, real colors. Reds! Purples! Greens! (Not acid), Blues! (Not the currrent teals) Yellows! (Screaming bright!)

Now this is just my opinion, and my stress relief - but I'm at the point where I pray that "grey walls, grey floors, brown furniture, white trim, and a 'pop' (my .45 makes a nice pop!) of color (teal of course)" will follow the 60s-70s avocado-green-everything and shag carpet trends and just go away.

Cindy C. thanked caroline94535
  • User
    6 years ago

Agreed it looks better out of the line if sight, however, Cindy has 6 chairs for this set, so it really depends on if the room is rectangular or square. It looks like it would be a little tight with the table extended and seating six and the China cabinet on the end.

Cindy C. thanked User
  • jlj48
    6 years ago

Loving the gray walls with the white trim and chairs removed. I also like the china cabinet where it is. It is the focal point of the room. If it is moved to the side, the table and chairs will have to be moved too, otherwise it is just too crowded.

Cindy C. thanked jlj48