Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hduns

Dishwasher or Trash next to Kitchen Sink?

Heather N
6 years ago

Hi - this is the current design of our new kitchen island. I've always had a trash can next to the sink, but the kitchen designer has laid out the dishwashers on either side of the sink. Should I move one of the dishwashers to get a trash can directly next to the sink, or will it not be a big deal to reach over to the trash can? Thanks!

From left to right - microwave drawer, storage drawers, trash pullout, dishwasher, sink, dishwasher, trash pullout.

Comments (25)

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

Trash on one and dishwasher by the other

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Genevieve - where would you put the second dishwasher?

• tatts
    6 years ago

How much trash do you have??!?!?!?

Definitely dishwasher next to the sink. You will constantly be loading drippy wet dishes and cookware from the sink to the DW. There's no sense dripping over stuff in between.

Do you really need two dishwashers? Really?

• User
    6 years ago

Trash in the prep area, wherever that is. Not in the cleanup zone. You have to post the whole design.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Trash best where you do prep and lots of times a small trash can under the sink is really all you need since IMO trash should be removed everyday.

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

tatts - I have two dishwashers now. It is awesome!! You always have a dishwasher free, so there's never dishes in the sink. Great for entertaining as well. We alternate dishwashers, so they both get used very frequently.

In my current kitchen, there is trash to the left of the sink, dishwasher to the right, and then another dishwasher behind you on the island off to your right.

If you have the space, definitely get two dishwashers!

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie/Patricia - here is the full kitchen. The cabinets on the bottom of the aerial view are along half walls looking into family room.

There is a prep sink to the left of the range top under the window. I don't know if it needs its own trash since there could be trash on the island directly behind it. Coffee station is to the left of the prep sink behind that tall cabinet. Fridge is tall cabinet to right of range top.

I like having a trash near the sink to scrape food off of it before putting into the dishwasher.

Here is the kitchen that we are remodeling so you can see how it is open to the family room

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

tatts - also one trash pullout is trash/recycling cans and glass, and the other trash pullout is paper recycling and cans/bottles to return for deposit. They aren't all used for regular trash.

• User
    6 years ago

Needs a complete redesign from someone who isn't a cabinet seller.

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie - what are your issues with the current layout? Would love any feedback

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The island is a huge continental roadblock that severely decreases the functionality of the kitchen. The rigid adherence to a false symmetry is detrimental to functionality. The work zones are in improper order, and the traffic paths cross cross back and forth.

This is a kitchen designed by someone who gleefully anticipated that big commission check for all of that cabinetry. And designed for someone who does not cook frequently, if at all.

You need to start over completely with a blank slate.

Heather N thanked User
  • Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie, how would you move things if we have to keep the range top and windows in their current locations?

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would add that we considered putting the refrigerator to the left of the range top, but designer felt that it would be problematic next to the wall. And it could go where the ovens are currently, but then there wouldn't be a good counter space to put things on when you take them out of the fridge. We considered doing two islands, but I like the bigger prep space and also the ability to be at the sink and also help my kids while they're sitting at the counter. Considered moving the coffee station to where the ovens are now, but thought it would be good to have coffee and beverage station next to the sink for getting glasses of water.

I am definitely open to feedback, that is just why we did some of the things this way!

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

You have 2 dishwashers? You have an island with a sink therefore the plumbing is already there for the other dishwasher and a composter bin .

• erinsean
    6 years ago

Couldn't you put two bags in the one trash pull out door....one for trash and one for recyclables? I would think one dishwasher on the other side of your sink and if you must have another....then in the island. Do you have a big family to cook for?

• DrB477
    6 years ago

The dishwashers are best next to the sink, trash can be next to a dishwasher but more importantly the layout is problematic for a lot of reasons and I think you can do much better and be much happier with the end result.

Read this first

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2767033/how-do-i-ask-for-layout-help-and-what-information-should-i-include

Then post your layout here for critique and suggestions

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath

You should also read these

Kitchen Design FAQ Threads:

ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3638270/faq-kitchen-work-zones-what-are-they

ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3638304/faq-aisle-widths-walkways-seating-overhangs-work-landing-space-etc

ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3638376/faq-how-do-i-plan-for-storage

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2699918/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first

The work zones faq and the last faq in particular should illustrate the problems with your flow.

Heather N thanked DrB477
  • Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

DrB477 - thank you very much for all of the links. Are you able to give me a some examples of things that you would change? I agree that there are some things which are not ideal, but I don't know how to fix them. For example, moving the refrigerator to the other side would put it closer to the "prep" area and closer to the oven and freezer, but then it wouldn't be close to the dining area and the microwave and would be right next to a wall. I know that it is better to have a sink in a prep space, but I also want a separate sink so people can get a drink of water without getting in the way of the main sink, which is why I had it located near the beverage area. My current kitchen has two sinks, but I mainly only use one of them. The only time I use the second sink is when I am draining beans or pasta and I stick it in the prep sink.

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

erinsean - both of the trash pullouts have 2 trash cans in them. 4 trash cans total - regular trash, recycling (cans/glass), recycling (paper), and items for deposit (cans/bottles). Our village requires us to separate our cans/glass recycling from our paper recycling. The cans and bottles get brought to the deposit machines at the grocery store where you get money back - I know that's not a thing in most states, but it is where we live!

Both dishwashers are currently on the island on either side of the sink.

Currently a family of 4 with 2 little kids (1 year old and 3 year old), possibly more children in the future. We frequently have relatives staying with us.

• DrB477
    6 years ago

I've learned a lot about kitchen design over the past year, but layouts are not my strong suit and I'm on a phone so it's not really doable, but if you post on the garden web kitchen forum you should end up with some good solutions. From the looks of your plans this is an expensive project, make sure you get your money's worth!

Heather N thanked DrB477
  • Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

DrB477 I posted it there, thank you!

• raebutt
    6 years ago

I recently had a total kitchen remodel and layout change. I spent a huge amount of time on the kitchen forum and got great ideas. There are some great people there who are wizards with layout! If you post and don't get response try a new post Title, Layout help! I found it very helpful to tape off my "new" layout with blue painters tape in the correct size and dimensions in my actual kitchen then try walking it and cooking in it as if that was where things were. You will quickly see what does not work for you, make notes. Hopefully the designer gave you a blueprint with specs.

As for your main sink, I would put a dishwasher to my right and a trash/recycle on my left as I face the sink.We separate trash and recycle here but only into 1 recycle bin and 1 trash bin. I empty both as needed and cook from scratch so for a family of 4, I can empty 1 time a week. I move left to right with dirty dishes on left, trash below counter to scrap into, rinse in sink then right to DW, no dripping. Then I would locate a second dihswasher, if needed, near the storage cabs for glassware and dishes for large loads or parties. Look at your daily patterns, trash needs and dish use to decide IF you really need 2 dishwashers and 2 sets of trash pull outs!

Heather N thanked raebutt
  • Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

raebutt - thanks! I did post there and got some feedback but it wasn't overly specific. We currently use both of our dishwashers on a regular basis - we just alternate and use one while the other is running or waiting to be emptied. And we need two trash pullouts, but only one of them needs to be close to the sink (4 trash cans - trash, glass/cans recycling need to be near the sink...bottles/cans for recycling and paper recycling don't have to be near the sink)

• raebutt
    6 years ago

Sorry it was not as specific, It has been 2 years since I was on the site. I do remember there were specific people who were very responsive and had great insight. They may have been there as they were also remodeling. They would come back with new diagrams and I was amazed. I have to admit I did not have the guts to post my kitchen pre and remodel because I knew what I wanted and I did not want their opinion. I paid my designer and she was great, I was very opinionated on what I wanted and where after 12 years of thinking about it and living with a dysfunctional kitchen. I did find that reviewing Pantry info was very helpful as well as sites like rev-a-shelf to determine drawer inserts and sizes. Explore what people are doing with drawers vs shelves and shelf cabinets on the kitchen forum. It is a tough process and only you will know what works for you and your family, best of luck!

Heather N thanked raebutt