Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yoga22

Need ideas for headboard and what to put above bed in my master bedroom.

yoga22
10 years ago
Them other wall is patio door with plantation shutters. I have 2 mirror bedside tables with black granite tops ordered. Looking for a chandelier. The look and feel to be glamour and a bit of glitz for a single girl!

Comments (182)

• User
    10 years ago
    A great piece of colorful artwork that ties in your accent colors would look great above you bed.
    Here is an example of what I mean.... enhance the jewel toned throw pillows featured on your bed with a colourful piece of artwork like the one found here.....

http://pinterest.com/pin/26247610298734270/

If you find yourself looking for new furniture pieces be sure to check out Bryght,

www.bryght.com

Happy Decorating
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    looks great, yoga22
  • fammam
    10 years ago
    Where did you find your mirrored side tables? Looking for something similar. Thanks!
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Famman- I bought the mirrored chest from Lamps Plus. I really like them!
  • Karin Madgwick
    10 years ago
    Maybe an upholstered bed head.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I switched the leather and wood headboard for an upholstered one. Need some drapery panels to soften the edges of the plantation shutters that cover the slider door.

No art hung on walls yet since room was painted.

Thinking about new bedding but have not looked. Perhaps white. Need a little of some color somewhere. Maybe in art.

I like the look of 2 tall mirrors above bedside tables but likely would not work here with the mirrored tables.

I do like the idea of wallpaper on wall behind bed. Would need to resurface drywall to a smooth finish to hang paper.
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Instead of mirrors, go for 2 tall painting above each end table then. they may not be exact copies but have same colours and style...
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    Wow.. looks very beautiful and romantic.. the chandelier is just gorgeous. Oddly enough I would think putting mirror above the mirrored side tables would not work either, but in a picture I posted previously (posted again here for quick reference) it works and adds a nice balance.. and perhaps a starburst above the bed. . Another thought is folding down the current duvet you have at the end of the bed, and adding another white duvet. I know your room has carpet, but you can put an area rug over the carpet, and something washed out looking like in the picture will add just that bit of colour you might be looking for.
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    Look at colour reform rugs or over dyed rugs -- if you decide to add :-)
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    Not sure if this was mentioned.. but another suggestion is adding 2 smaller pictures behind the lamps and still adding the starburst above the bed vs one large art piece. OR I saw this Japanese screen behind that bed that added a nice textured element -- either way I think your room looks wonderful, and the curtains you add will really pull it together too.. ahh a work in progress eh? :-)
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sluggodog- love the screen, it would be perfect behind my bed!
    Great idea on a second white comforter. Also like the sunburst above bed and picture above tables.

Thank you for the great ideas, I will work on it and post what I come up with.

I was considering silk - like material for the drapes in a color similar to walls thoughts?
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    Your most welcome :-) If you like the screen -- look of silver leaf screens.

I think silk curtains would totally go - perhaps a raw silk, has more of a texture, almost that cloth grass look. It's hard to get idea of the colour walls (they have a yellow tone to me in the picture) but I do like blending vs making the curtains pop. You can keep in the same tones.. slightly darker.. sand colour? similar to your current duvet -- if you fold that duvet down and add the white duvet.. I think it would all blend nicely. See if you can bring some different curtains home, and that will help you decide -- if your having them made, they always let you bring fabric home.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sluggodog, great ideas again. The walls are an antique white perhaps look a little yellow because of the chandelier.

I actually have the nude prints that are shown above the side table you posted. I have three but they are matted differently. I love them and may put them back in the room. I used to all three above my bed.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My 3 nude lounging on a chaise are back!
  • coby0032
    10 years ago
    Love the prints. Miss the blue you were thinking of. A turquoise vase would add the right pop for you. He you are enjoying the process.
  • coby0032
    10 years ago
    Hope....not he. Crown moulding would really finish things off as well.
  • Billie
    10 years ago
    Yoga, this looks like something out of a magazine. Love your work!
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    Looks awesome.. you must be happy with it. Once you get your curtains, it will totally finish it off.. ahh..what a wonderful retreat! See.. even the your dog loves it :-)..
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    B n B... Thank you! I have had so much fun decorating my living room and bedroom since I bought this condo in May. It's a hobby...an expensive one but I enjoy all the great ideas I have received on Houzz.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sluggodog. Yes, my dogs love the new digs! I just found some ivory pillow cases my grandma embroidered many years ago...I am going them on the bed!
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Coby. Thank you. Good call on the crown molding. I love that look as well. I have curved walls into the master bath but I believe it could be done with a non wood molding. Will look into it!
    I have had these prints for 10 years but they didn't show up well when the walls were brown. Everything in whole condo looks better not being brown!!!
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am thinking I need a large rug diagonal under bed. I really want to rip up carpet, but my idea of continuing wood floor from living spaces is off since it is no longer available.

Ideas on rugs?
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    i think your bedroom should be accented with black only.. no turquoise. no purples.. i loved the black cushion pic right away.. and then you've added the frames in the next. which further enforces that black does the trick for your bedroom.. and black keeps it not too girl either..
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    your curtains should match headboard i think.. with a tie back of tassles in black (for punch, otherwise same colour or colour of your duvet)..

you can try black lamp shades next time..
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Airman ... Great suggestions! Thank you for taking the time to share your design ideas!

Funny I was thinking the lampshades look a little off! I will try black ones.

When I started this project, I did not know if my black dresser and cheetah chair would work, but I am glad they do!

I will look for fabric for drapery panels. Since it is a patio door behind the plantation shutters and it is such so wide I was considering using 2 shorter curtain rods on each end as opposed to one long rod.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, found a black and cream and a black pillow from by "before" living room and 2 black and crystal frames that were slated for my office. I bought these black and cream taffeta stripe drapes I was going to hang in my office.

Would they be too bold and harsh for my bedroom. I found some pretty silk ones on line in a cream color that are long enough that would maybe be a better look. ???
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are the black and white stripe drapes I had ordered for my office... That has all black furniture and same antique white walls.

Too bold for this bedroom?
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Of course would not hang in shutter!
  • julianay
    10 years ago
    You said the cream drapes are silk? Definately use in the bedroom, silky and soft (but not too) reminds men of skin. :) A tufted headboard (doesn't have to be the same material) has the glam factor you want. For artwork, I have a lovely nude painting over my bed currently, not vulgar at all. If the headboard ends up being rectilinear, you can go with a horizontal piece of art (my nude is laying down), if it's curved you will want smaller paintings on either side. You go with your glam-style, Girl and celebrate it!
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    Put one large (or several) picture frames above the bed and I would get a chandelier to match you bedside lamps ( have another lamp of the same on other side), and change the cream rug at end of bed to a pale blue one to match the wall. Your room is very nice, it doesn't need much change.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sluggodog... I agree, the stripes are going back to be hung in my office. The silk Dupioni ones i found on Overstock seem to be the color of the headboard and the reviews are that they are beautiful. An extra 15% off on Overstock today too! Love holiday sales! Thanks for your opinion. BTW, the dogs did not seem too thrilled with the stripes either! lol
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    momof5x and Julianay-

You must be looking at my initial picture. It has completely changed from where I started! I now have the chandelier, changed out the lamps and side table and headboard and paint! Also have my 3 nude girls on their chaise lounges. We must think alike!

I am ordering the silk drapes now!

this has been a couple month project that was stalled by back surgery 4 weeks due to moving my bed!!!

Thank you for you ideas. I love hearing other viewpoints and design ideas. I have no design training and I learn so much from all of you on HOUZZ.

Going with Airman's suggestion of Black lamp shades! I would not have thought of that!

Will just have the Black and Cream! how boring... but i LOVE it!
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    Lol! Do try the black lampshades rather than just outright making a buy. Maybe you may find them too much? In my mind though it won't be too much. They'll balance the black dresser on other side.
    As for those black curtains, a definite no. they're nice and stylish for an office.
    For your bedroom, the silk ones sound ravishing!!! That way you can change just small items with different colours in the future..

Will see the chair and all when i use laptop. And take care, your back
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    aimram... the black lamp shades are a good look! I found some that were very cool with silver inside, however, they were not the correct fit for the lamp so back they go! Will find the right ones though!

yep, black and white curtains are outta there! lol...what was I thinking!

thanks for your suggestions!
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    silver inside sounds cool for lamps..
    @black & white curtains: I would've tried the same too ;) i would've gone for 'em if they were much thinner stripes..
    you're welcome! :) looking forward to seeing the final glam look! :)
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So the silk drapes arrived today. They are the exact color as my headboard!

Will get a rod and hang them properly!

Lucked out as I found these 120" ones online!
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to see them up..look great.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    aimran- thanks for the idea for the black lampshades!
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rugs Done Right. Thank you for selecting the 4 rugs. Very nice!! I have carpet, which I do not like, but perhaps angle a large rug under the bed?
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, neutral color scheme with black being the contrast.

Drapes are same color as headboard that have yet to be hung.

Trying to picture a black or chrome curtain rod?!
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    the pic is blurry but the room does look good!
    my pleasure, yoga22! :)
    i like the idea of the neutral shag as it adds texture and the idea of angling it under front foot of bed is great. or even some light print in biege and ivory..

black curtain rods if you want such a look and your room is large sized,
    Amagansett Beach Retreat · More Info
    while chrome will be lessing jarring... how much black do you want in this room?

Also I think you should get interesting antique/silver frames for bedside tables, instead of black.. (as also I believe your current black ones are for your office).. example:
    Master Suite Renovation · More Info
    Francesco Morsetti Sterling Silver 5x7-inch Picture Frame · More Info
  • bluesanne
    10 years ago
    I don't know if they have one as wide as a bed (queen? king?), but I think a waterfall would make an outrageous headboard -- very soothing, too!
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    aimran, that photo you attached has me looking for silver rods!!! I was picturing a thinner rod, but still may be too much.

You are right, the picture frames are for my office and I have yet to transfer my family photos into them! I have tons of framed pictures and like your idea to put silver ones in bedroom. I will dig through what I have.
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Has anyone used a shimmer opalescent paint or know of a product you add to the paint to creat this effect? I am interested in such for the wall behind my bed but would like it to be essentially the same color.
    Supposedly there is such a product that simply rolls on like regular paint my friend tells me. I have not found it in the paint department. Thanks.
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/732801 check this photo, is it this what you want for your wall?? I love it and waiting to try on my wall.. If yes, check the designer's answers..

And yes, you are right, i have a feeling black rods maybe too much blackness. And kind of an overkill..
    yoga22 thanked Anum Ismail
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    I like your idea of opalescent paint :) seems like you're coming up with all the ideas that i want to try on my bedroom myself soon enough. :D
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found the silver metallic paint for the curio cabinet at my local paint store. Although the silver leaf sound beautiful, the carvings and detail work on the wood I do not think would lend itself well to the process.

Also found some metallic/ shimmer paint to pain on the wall behind my bed. Perhaps in a diamond pattern, wide stripes or simply the entire wall.

I have used this brand before ( Modern Masters) Painted the entire powder room in my last house in a bronze and it was beautiful! Can't wait to get at it!
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    Sounds good :)
  • yoga22
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Added a little animal print and a new rug