Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Jurassic Park of Plants -- Eric's Garden

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Eric's three acre garden in NW San Antonio ranges from desert ...

To jungle ...

With a lot in between ...

For me the stars of the show are the many rare varieties of cycads, palms, bromeliads, and dyckias ...

Rare to the trade silvery leafed palm from Mexico ...

Many beautiful forms of cycads exist that we rarely see...

Just one of the many dyckias that make me want to collect them for their unusual shapes and colors ...

Stunningly beautiful patterned leaves ...

Sometimes it's just the placement of an object that makes a work of art ...

Dwarf Mexican purslane that that gently seeds its self around ...

This Mexican variety of Rock rose has larger more intensely pink flowers ...

Oops! The limit of ten photos as been reached -- continued next post.

Comments (34)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Continuing ...

The Mexican variety of Texas rock rose with larger, brighter flowers ...

I am fascinated by the "lavender butterfly vine's" (Mascagnia lilacina) twisty lower limbs that really show off after the tree on which it was climbing was removed ...

Also intriguing is the new foliage that looks like pink flowers on the ten ft. tall Mexican Mahonia lanceolata

Surely with all the ancient varieties of plants there's a dinosaur lurking nearby ...

Ah, probably not. Pots indicate a gardener has been here last ...

Eric has devoted the last few months to rebuilding his pond into which a long meandering stream which he built empties. Just a few more weeks and it will be ready to be filled with water and the border filled with plants ...

Photos of another visit to Eric's garden HERE.

Thank you Eric, and also Dave for helping in the creation of this lovely space on planet Earth.

Edit: The "Dwarf Mexican purslane" in the original post is: Portulaca pilosa

As they became known to me I've added botanical names in this post. Eric has given IDs more below.

• loreleicomal
    6 years ago

Wow wow wow!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked loreleicomal
  • Embothrium
    6 years ago

Would be better if you gave botanical names for all. The "rock rose" for instance is not a Cistus.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Embothrium
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Around here it's called Texas rock rose, Pavonia lasiopetala.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Is that a silver bismarckia? Wow wow wow

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked bossyvossy
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bossy, I wondered that also, but no, not a silver bismarck. Eric may have said what it was but I don't remember. It doesn't form much of a trunk and is rarely found for sale; one reason it's not propagated more often is that any seeds produced are eaten immediately by birds.

• castro_gardener
    6 years ago

R, I didn't even see the word "cistus" on there anywhere. But I do love the pavonias! ERIC! Your place is phenomenal ! No wonder Ragna loves going to see it ! I've heard so much about it and would love to see more photos. Please give us your own take when you can. But you must finish that pond first ! I can imagine a host of wildlife enjoying this water feature. I have a dykia that looks like that. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it's one of my favorites. Would love to have seen the blooms on the purple butterfly vine. I have the yellow climbing my windmill tower...have never heard of another color... and the vines do the same thing. So structural as they get older and thicker. The second to the last photo : in the middle... is that a bamboo muhly ? that really soft looking plant ? Ragna, with all the palms and stickery plants, I can see why you like this garden. Awesome, Eric !!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Patty, Cistus is a family of flowering shrubs commonly called 'rock rose'. I've seen them growing in California, Oregon and Washington when visiting there. Not sure why we don't see them growing here. Maybe the over all temperature is too hot; not only are the days hot, but the night temps sometimes don't go below 85 degrees.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I used to grow the 'purple butterfly vine/lavender orchid vine', Mascagnia lilacina but it was too aggressive for me and I finally took it out. HERE are some photos of mine.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    6 years ago

Thanks for the photo visit to a wonderful spot. Progress on the pond in the nine or so hot weeks since Eric's 2017 Garden Projects post is nearly as impressive as the plants.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
  • blackwillow87
    6 years ago

Wow that's truly amazing!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked blackwillow87
  • tjayars1
    6 years ago

Very nice. thanks for sharing.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked tjayars1
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Eric, is that concrete or mortared flagstones on the bottom of the pond? It is huge and I cannot wait to see it with water.

• Eric (8B San Antonio, TX)
    6 years ago

Concrete. This morning I laid the slab for the waterfall top rock. I'll let that cure for a day or two and then put the rock in place (must weigh at least 200 pounds). Then the flanking rocks to each side and a bit of work on the stream bed above the fall. The last bit of mortar/concrete work will be a small beach area at the far end of the pond. I'll post photos as work finishes.

• kimivu
    6 years ago

Wow! Eric's garden is so beautiful! Thank you for the photos Ragna.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked kimivu
    6 years ago

Ragna, Pics of a couple of plants you asked about that were not in bloom at this time.

Bromelia sp. Either B. balansae (probably) or possibly B. pinguin.

Known as 'Heart of Flame'.

Pitcairnea sp. Have no idea which one. Bloom spikes reach over 3 feet high. This is the bromeliad that looks like a grass. That is inland seacoast in front.

Closeup. Blooms in spring. A lot of foliage burn this last winter at 18F and no blooms this year, but has recovered well and hoping for blooms again next year.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Eric (8B San Antonio, TX)
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Both are spectacular!!!!

About B. Balansae: It needs to be in a tub because it will quickly take over your garden if planted directly in soil.

But that's okay. I like to live dangerously and loved the look when I saw it in Eric's yard even when not flowering. It will be perfect in one of my big planters... (If it doesn't escape ... ;-)

• Todd C
    6 years ago

Ehhh..... Not bad I guess. ;)

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Todd C
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eric's garden has lots of soft and gentle plants too ... :-)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

Here are a few of my pictures of Eric garden. It got hit by that 3" hail a couple of days later. I loved the layering of palms and understory trees under the oaks.....Great ballet of branches

Big Dady Oak

Mind you, his cactus area is made from a brocken up asphalt road base. Eric can grow plants in anything.

I was SO happy to see that this had not succumbed to that hail.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • abarbie4me2
    6 years ago

Oh my. All so breath taking :-)

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked abarbie4me2
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There are so many unusual plants in one place! Mara, thanks for adding your photos. They must have been taken in April 2016 so lots of things were blooming then. That hail storm did an amazing amount of damage. Eric's garden made an equally amazing recovery

• Todd C
    6 years ago

What is the tree in wanton's 4th picture. Reddish bark pendulous foliage. Taxodium ?

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Plant and weather lust! :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

I want to say a Cupressus cashmeriana, but I am guessing. He is babying some seeds on it that take years to mature. They have been making me drool for years.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was also wondering about the tree in Mara's photo. I was so focused on the ground plants I totally missed the tree.

6 years ago

Yup. Cupressus cashmeriana.

• Todd C
    6 years ago

I've kicked around the idea of buying one mail order for years. How cold has it gotten at your place since its been in the ground ?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

I have seen one growing in West lake also. That is still warmer than me.

6 years ago

It's been in the ground about 25 years. I think I remember once getting into the single digits.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

That was Dec.22 1987. It got to 2º . How can I forget. I was having a party and my son was 2 years old.

• Todd C
    6 years ago

The good thing about san Antonio is that those rare instances we get low temperatures it bounces back within hours. You have some nice plants in your collection eric. And you're a good enough gardener for it to not look like a "collection". Most plant collectors (and I count myself in this group) end up with a plant zoo, a bunch of interesting oddities. Its harder to make it all look nice. Good work

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Todd C
    6 years ago

Thanks Todd. It still feels a bit zoo-like to me. Sent you a personal message.