Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nushelu

Blue-skinned muskmelon

Mokinu
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Has anyone ever seen a blue-skinned melon?

So, we discovered a melon in the patch today that's blue like a Blue Hubbard squash. I didn't check what it was before I harvested it, but by the taste, texture and the appearance of the seeds, it must be Valencia Winter x Prescott Fond Blanc F1 (I believed that Prescott Fond Blanc x Valencia Winter F1 looked different than this, and not blue, although maybe I was wrong about what I believed to be that cross being that cross). I grew Valencia Winter and Prescott Fond Blanc last year (and let them and all the other melons cross freely). This year, we've got this and other crosses.

Anyway, it tastes like a Valencia Winter melon. The seeds look like Prescott Fond Blanc melon's (I didn't have any other melons with seeds like that; they're white and sometimes kind of uneven in thickness distribution, but they were quite viable both years). The flesh color is orange.

The texture is extremely firm (almost like a carrot). You don't want to eat it with a spoon (I cut the rind off with a knife). However, it was definitely ripe, and it was at least as sweet as Valencia Winter (it was sweet). Valencia Winter isn't as firm as this. Prescott Fond Blanc was extremely firm last year for me, too, but not very sweet.

The dark green under the rind is fascinating.

Here are some pictures, and a video that shows you the sound of me eating it (to demonstrate its carrot-like qualities).

Comments (5)