Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcg4567

Definitely not as ugly duplex needs curb appeal help!

bcg4567
6 years ago

You may remember me from threads such as "Really ugly duplex needs curb appeal help!" Sorry to say that is out of the running for now for not being properly zoned. But this one is the new contender and....also needs curb appeal help. It is, however, way more charming than the last duplex. I don't love stucco, and am wondering what is underneath since the house is 100 years old and I have a hard time believing that they were stucco'ing buildings back then. In any event, that may not matter as it may be that the stucco just needs to get covered. Curb appeal budget will also largely depend on how much other work needs to be done. Still in the fact finding process, but considering how much help I got on the other thread, I thought asking for help with this curb appeal would be useful to do anyway.

Thanks much folks!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wouldn't be trying to hide the foundation blocks since they look good and add a positive element to the picture. Maybe they could be painted a color other than white -- something compatible with the brick steps so as to unify the lower strata of the building. And remove the existing large shrubs in front of the foundation as they are bulky and block too much of the foundation.

In order to simplify (and visually strengthen) I think it would be better to consider symmetry for the overall house rather than symmetry for each side as an individual element. Seasonal color should be fairly hefty for this blocky house. Something evergreen could flank the step insides and groundcover could fill in between. The house/yard seems a bit open, unprotected and unframed by any sheltering trees. Maybe there is a space out in the lawn for such a thing, but possibly not. We can't see the overall yard. Here's a couple of closely related variations.

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi there--welcome to the new thread and thanks for weighing in! Again--I like the improvement via landscaping as I suspect the house will need a bunch of other work as well. Here's a pic of the yard:

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

I like the front, center lawn area being kept open, but you could -- and I think it would be an improvement -- place well spaced small street trees in the parkway, at the front or at the side. This could give the sense of the property being protected as well as frame the view of the house.

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yardvaark--totally agree with keeping the lawn open and I'd feel better about trees at the parkway if the one at my house hadn't eaten my sewer line.

Denita--thanks! I completely agree with you on the "shudder" issue. I think they are pretty ugly to begin with and didn't realize much of the issue is that there isn't enough room for them. I think if the house works out...and there is $, I would want to reside the whole thing and give it a more modern look.

The garage goes with the duplex.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Are you thinking frame? Or Hardie? Or something else for siding?

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Was thinking Hardie--faux cedar shake on top, regular siding on bottom. Maybe in grey? But that roof color doesn't work with any of that....

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just saw the pictures you posted! They are much nicer than what's going on with the property now, but even with that--I still don't love stucco. I guess I'd have to see what options would cost.

• Denita
    6 years ago

That red or terracotta-ish color is hard to work with. Yellow or white works. Let me see if I can find something that might work.

Have you checked to see if the stucco was added over something else - or just over the wire lath? I'm in Florida so we do a lot of concrete block and stucco. I am not familiar with it up north at all.

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would think an ideal roof for that would also be grey. And now we are getting into even bigger $$$. Don't know about the stucco. Very early in the process.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Here is a great color scheme that works with hardie and your red roof (even though this one is metal) - it is more along the lines of an updated traditional house - rather than modern but it would translate well to this duplex (color scheme)

Rehobeth Beach · More Info

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree--that is the first time I've seen a red roof with grey that works. Thanks!!

• Denita
    6 years ago

Not sure of the color, but both SW and BM can match hardie colors. This one looks to be a gray/green.

Edit:

Found Hardie board (brown) with red (front door) but it may give you an alternate color scheme if the one posted above named Rehobeth Beach doesn't work. Trying to save you money on a roof change if you don't need one.

Backyard House · More Info

One more gray with a red roof - a weathered gray

Harms Way · More Info

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the weathered grey with the red roof, which, in this instance, just happens to look a bit weathered as it is!

• Denita
    6 years ago

I don't know if that is a hardy product...the closest I found was a Light Mist like below (first pic)

Or the Pearl Gray. If you look at their website you can see the colors and pics of homes completed with the various color selections to see if anything works for you.

• bcg4567
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I saw that exact photo and loved the look. I downloaded the hardie catalog the other day--I'll have to take another look at it.