Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandilizszone8a

'Coarse Construction Sand' question

mandilizszone8a
6 years ago

I am considering adding a sand/gritty component to my current 50/50 cactus and pumice (1/8th and 3/16th sizes). I am zone 8a, but most of my favorites are always inside under lights due to constant humidity.

Is this paver sand coarse enough?

Thanks! Mandi

Comments (12)

• elucas101
    6 years ago

Hi there - I do not believe this sand is coarse enough. It is actually made to compact well to make a base for the pavers and such.

A step up would be pool filter sand, it is larger grain, coated with silica and doesn't clump like the paver sand. There is even more coarse sand than that to be had but others would have to advise on that, I don't know where to source that.

All that being said, I think the most common recommendation you'll get is to skip the sand entirely. It won't add the gritty component you're looking for, consider chicken grit (it's granite chips) unless you very specifically need sand.

mandilizszone8a thanked elucas101
  • Rob Blomquist
    6 years ago

I like it, it's a good size, and a good find. But I would rethink you plan. The 50/50 mix is a good basic mix for all conditions, maybe adding more pumice would be positive. The sand would be a good component in a gritty mix either as a two part pumice sand or as the traditional 3 part pumice, sand, wood chips.

mandilizszone8a thanked Rob Blomquist
  • Shannon Brianna
    6 years ago

I have seen success with a mix of 25% coarse sand (not sure the specific sand), 25% c&s mix and 50% pumice, with a similar set up described as yours. I agree though that this sand looks pretty porous, chicken grit is a nice suggestion.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    6 years ago

If you are going to try coarse sand - and I totally agree with Gill on this - you should look for paver base sand. It is coarser and provides better drainage. Here's an example - http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-5-cu-ft-Step-1-Patio-Paver-Base-40100317/205153034

Roughly where are you located? Here in SW Florida the humidity is always high. My summers are positively wet whether it is raining or not. Through many different trials, I have thrown out soil all together. Pots never dry out and plants are very prone to rot. So I use an inorganic mix of perlite (can't find pumice locally), granite chicken grit and Turface. This works best 'for me.' And that's for my pots.

As you can imagine, the 'soil' in the yard and around my landscaping is sand and not really soil at all. I amend areas that I plant with perlite and granite grit. Some areas I have mixed in a bag of topsoil and a bag of paver base, too, but I have to be careful to ensure that it drains well. It can all compact into a kind of concrete. Really!!

In your case, why not just add more pumice? The granite would work, too,

mandilizszone8a thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Not that sand - I agree with elucas. I believe grit is much better, closer in size to pumice and that's what you should be looking for. Or just more of pumice if you don' have grit.

eta: Crenda suggested the same...

mandilizszone8a thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Pete
    6 years ago

Its hard to say from the picture. Personally, I've included some smaller particles to increase water retention. Like an earlier poster mentioned, that same company makes "paver base." Its probably in a similar bag in the same spot at the retailer. You'll have to separate the finer stuff and dust with a screen, maybe with both.

mandilizszone8a thanked Pete
  • Plantspace (5a)
    6 years ago

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor-gravel-and-substrate/gravel-sand-and-stones/national-geographicandtrade-crystal-lake-aquarium-sand-21325.html 

something like this ^ is suitable in small quantities but it's pricey, and might make a nice top dressing if your soil dries out too quickly. Look into blasting sand and avoid anything finer than 12 mesh if you really want to add sand

mandilizszone8a thanked Plantspace (5a)
  • Lauren (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Hi Mandi! Same zone here:).

on Amazon, you can find some horticultural sand that is pretty darn coarse. You can grow in it just fine without worries, as the coarseness makes the particle sizes about the size of tiny pebbles. It is nice stuff, I felt some at a succulent place around here.

But pumice is always nice too if you have it.

mandilizszone8a thanked Lauren (Zone 9a)
  • breton2
    6 years ago

This sand is too fine. The only 'sand' I would use for C&S is traction sand, which is technically too large to be sand at all. It does come in big bags and is cheap, though I realize people from southern climes may be unfamiliar with it.

mandilizszone8a thanked breton2
  • mandilizszone8a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! I am overwhelmed with your responses - what a nice community to 'talk' to. THANK YOU. I appreciate your responses and helps me to see that I should keep on, keepin' on with my C&S soil/pumice mix. With extra pumice. :) I did purchase some chicken grit yesterday - pretty small particles. Will throw a bit in.

I appreciate all of your thoughts! Will post my questions here more often. :)

Instagram has a nice group of succulent people too for those succulent hoarders that want to share more pictures. And plants are another universal language! It's interesting to see plants from literally every country in the world, regardless of ability to communicate in words. Thanks again.

• Pete
    6 years ago

A note on "chicken grit" - it comes in different sizes for different ages and birds. If you think yours is smallish, it may be "grower grit" for chicks.

mandilizszone8a thanked Pete
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting