Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_koritz

Should we remove the wood shutters in Family Room?

Nancy K
6 years ago

Previous owners installed wood shutters. The Family room overlooks a covered patio and open pool. The room is fairly dark and I'm wondering if removing the wood shutters would brighten the space. Add grasscloth shades?

Or should I go another direction and just add a ceiling light fixture?

moved two of the shutters to the side to let in more light.

Comments (25)

• elohbee
    6 years ago

Do you like and/or use the shutters? If so, keep them. If not, take them out (but I'd store them for future possible use if you can). In my opinion, they have no particular value past their usefulness, so it's up to you!

• 2pups4me
    6 years ago

I doubt that removing them will change the amount of light that much. The covered patio is most likely the reason for minimal light.

• pokyhoky
    6 years ago

Shutters are so expensive, I'd keep them. An appraiser told me they are the one window treatment that they can include in an appraisal because they are a fixture to the house. I think your issue is from the cover.

• deegw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had shutters through my whole house and they do make a space darker. If you put all your rails, styles, etc from your three windows and place them over one window, you are covering 1/2 of a window or more.

I do like them though and they look nice in your room. Do you need blinds or shutters for privacy or are they just decorative? Do you like them? Taking them down will make the room look slightly brighter.

• nini804
    6 years ago

I think they look great! They have a nice, substantial look.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

The shutters are nice, but IMO the open window is better

• roarah
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like the room as a whole better with the shutters closed. I would keep them. I think they soften the entire look of the room. Colors, texture everything looks prettier to my eye in the first picture....

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

before i removed them i'd try to work out why they were installed. did the previous owner have a tv in the room and wanted total darkness in daytime? another benefit, you can have the window open and the shutters part closed and get air flow without a window treatment blowing around.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Leave them they create a very nice look. I agree with above commenter (sorry I forgot the name) your covered porch is biggest light inhibitor. I could find a great floor lamp to put near the fireplace to add lighting and a chandelier as well. Lighting can be achieved by "layering" inside light so you have numerous sources of light. Very pretty room and you have it done very well.

Nancy K thanked Flo Mangan
  • Nancy K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

any suggestions for a Chandlier? Thank you!

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Nancy, I love the shutters but am somewhat biased since we have them throughout our home. Due to personal preference, I don't have any drapes or other window treatments with any of the shutters. I think the rooms look more open with just the shutters. Your shutters are lovely...hope you keep them!

• rnonwheels
    6 years ago

How does the middle one open up? Are the cross stiles in the windows permanent? I wouldlike to see the middle shutter off and the windows stiles removed to make it all less busy.

• williann
    6 years ago

I really like shutters so I'd keep them. It's a lovely room but I would consider adding a rug and some new pillows.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I like the shutters but I see your point. Can you add skylights in the covered porch to allow more light to flow in?

• Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

Dedtired suggests what I was thinking, too.

• amykath
    6 years ago

Love the shutters but you have to live there. I would personally keep them!

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

I like the shutters in your lovely room. They give an upgraded finished look. Also your bare windows are not that pretty. So its working.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Nancy, do you like the shutters? That's all that matters. You're probably aware they can add value to a home. Along with their appearance, I love how much easier they are than fabric to keep clean.

• Nancy K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Houzz Friends. I've decided to keep the shutters. Hubs will be happy.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Look into putting skylights on your porch. That will bring LOTS more light into your family room. I like the shutters.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here are a couple lighting options picking up brushed nickel on table lamp and black of drapery rods but lots of options out there. Your ceilings look fairly low, like 8 foot. So I selected semi flush fixture. It looks like there might be some room to the side of your fireplace for this tower light.
  • cindyberger
    6 years ago

Keep the shutters, add a hanging lamp, and if it's not light enough, perhaps a skylight on your patio. Beautiful room!

Nancy K thanked cindyberger
  • ritamay91710
    6 years ago

Your room is pretty. I see you've decided to keep the shutters. I would too. I agree, it's the patio cover that is causing the lack of light. But I'm sure it's needed for outside. I'd keep that too. I'd be careful about a sky light. JMHO.

Nancy K thanked ritamay91710
  • PRO
    Napanee Design Ltd.
    6 years ago

I would personally keep them, they add some character to the space and are not very common in most homes I see.