Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenstl

Kitchen Layout help 10x11

kenstl
6 years ago

We are going through a major remodel of our main living space and would like to do something fresh in our kitchen design, but feeling limited due to space and feel like we are jamming in as many cabinets as we can in most of our designs. The kitchen is 10 x 11 (10' side where the stove is located).

Project is including:

1. removal of popcorn ceilings in all of the spaces. ceiling height is 8' in kitchen, pitched in living room and over the kitchen table area.

2. had can lights installed in kitchen area (converting light over sink and island to cans).

3. refinishing hardwood floors. they are Bruce red oak floors that will be sanded and then finished in a gray tone. they are a lower grade so they will probably have a lot of color variation in tone.

I have attached 4 photos of our current layout, as well as a photo I found of what could go back in there, but it looks very crowded and traditional. I prefer the sink and stove to stay where they are currently located to cut down on costs. We could also do a built in on the wall outside of the kitchen (across from windows) if it would blend with the kitchen.

Open to all ideas, please help! I do know we want to expand the island, and include a lot of lower drawers vs cabinets.

Comments (24)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

No photos attached. Make sure they are jpgs

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

color we are considering for the floors

• sena01
    6 years ago

I suggest a void corner or have a cab on wheels next to it so you can keep seldom used items in the corner. This is from deedles' kitchen.

You can have a 27 or 24" wide drawers on the dining table side then DW and the sink not centered under the window (you can center the faucet). On the other side of the sink, I think you can fit 15" trash or drawers and then the corner void or as above picture.

After the corner you'll need at least 3" filler, then the range and I guess you can fit 18" wide drawers b/w the range and the fridge.

I'd consider 42" wide aisle b/w the sink counter and the island and 44-45" b/w the fridge and the island, aisles measured from counter edge to counter edge/appliance handle, not from cabinet to cabinet.

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Sena. I have never seen a "void" corner before with a moveable base cabinet. I'll have to post a layout of our current kitchen with some measurements. I like your idea of aisle width as I feel we are currently tight in those areas, but we are also limited on space unfortunately.

Our goals or wish list that I would like to accomplish:

1. more work space. the island is small and other counter space is limited

2. if possible, break up having our refrigerator, stove, microwave all on top of each other. I am considering moving the microwave in place of a hood. I am not sure I really have any options to move the refrigerator

3. drawers everywhere!

4. we also have a small pantry area in our mud room. Two base cabinets, two uppers. We use that for all of our food storage as large appliances, mixers, etc. It also has a large spice drawer. If possible, I would like to bring that in to the kitchen area.

5. incorporate the kitchen table area as part of the kitchen. We have been kicking around the idea of doing cabinets on the wall between the dining room and the area of the kitchen table

• sena01
    6 years ago

I'll have to post a layout of our current kitchen with some measurements.

Yes, please do that and also include info mentioned in this post.

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, above is our kitchen area. The main kitchen area is 10' x 11' in the upper left corner, the remaining space to the right is where we have our kitchen table, doorway to the dining room, etc.

We are a family of 4, a 9 and 10 year old. We have an atrium ranch home that is 1800 sf on the main floor, so if we are not downstairs (our living room, tv etc), then we are usually hanging out in our main area upstairs which is in the kitchen area. We like to cook and entertain, we use our outdoor deck a lot which is through the side door. We do have a pantry area off of the kitchen, it is made up of 24" base cabinets and wall cabinets with a counter. It doesn't hold a ton of items, but we do store all of our can goods, cereals, breads, baking items, spices etc, toaster oven, in this area.

Things that can't change:

1. Sink area / plumbing has to stay where it is located.

2. We are not planning on moving any windows or doors

Wants / Needs / specs:

1. We want to have an island, even better if we can do 2-3 stools at a sitting area on one end

2. In the table area, we have always had a large 7' long table and at the North wall, a hutch. Would it make sense to put lower cabinets on the North wall, or even move the refrigerator on to that wall to open up space on the other portion of the kitchen?

3. would like to have a range hood vs the microwave over the stove if we have room. we are concerned it may look too crowded with the refrigerator next to it.

4. Open to less upper cabinets, definitely want drawers on the majority of our lower cabinets.

5. Must have a two can trash bin

Open to all ideas. Hopefully the actual photos and the layout will assist, I look forward to hearing your ideas.

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We moved our refrigerator over to the 8'4" wall opposite of the windows where our kitchen table is located, to see how it feels. I think this idea is growing on us. I attached a picture of what that area may look like. It does a couple of things for us. It expands the kitchen to make if feel much larger, and it gets rid of the clutter of having the stove and refrigerator crammed together thus giving us some additional counter space near the stove. We would probably then move the stove to the left to center it on the wall if we decide to do a range hood.

The downside is that the refrigerator expands the triangle quite a bit and I have no ideal how I am going to get a waterline to the refrigerator.

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We decided to take our island apart and move it to where we are considering the "new" island to be located. We plan on rotating the island, drawers to sink side, have a counter overhang for 2-3 stools. If we go with this layout, we would keep the fridge moved and center the stove on the side exterior wall. What do you think?

It gives us a lot more room between the island and the wall cabinets. the glass table is just for a prop, fyi

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Can you draw more detail in the red area--the laundry room/hall/dining room? Is the front of the house at the bottom of this drawing? I don't know what an atrium ranch is.

In the first kitchen we renovated, I ignored the NKBA recommendation to have no leg of the "work triangle" more than 9 feet. I think there was about 10.5' between fridge and sink and I ended up really disliking that compromise. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have no other choice.

• herbflavor
    6 years ago

...go ahead and put the bigger island in the high pitched ceiling area, with sink on island. Range and hood go to the right of small kitchen window and fridge in the new location you have it placed. Down at the wall near exterior door, where the ceiling is low, build in a banquette. So no kitchen table, but a banquette, kitchen moved toward high ceiling area with larger island and sink on island, and fridge in new spot you have it. Thing to do is landscape it out with cardboard/tape on floor. I prefer the high pitch ceiling area to work with, but near that exterior door could be a cozy banquette. think bigger island with sink. All depends on budget but you have space to really reconfigure things.

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks your for the responses. Benjesbride - the front of the house is on the bottom of the page. In front of the "laundry / pantry" is a 3 car garage, and the dining room has windows in the front of the home. The main living room is to the right of the red block your marked, and the bedrooms on the other side of that room.

An atrium range is a ranch house, with an open staircase in the rear of the home running across the back of the home, with large windows in both the main floor and lower level thus opening up the rear of the home to a wall of windows.

We have the same concern about the moving the refrigerator, but I think we are going to deal with it as the other only option is to put it in its current location and it just feels crowded. We will be 11' from the sink, and 5' from the end of the island or one of the work areas.

Herbflavor, would love to consider a big change as you suggest, but our basement is all finished off and it would be very expensive to move plumbing.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Okay. So two ideas I explored were 1) turn the dining area bump out into a window seat with storage for rarely used and extra kitchen things 2) moving the side door through the laundry room, basically moving your present pantry space to a tall cabinet next to the fridge...

• herbflavor
    6 years ago

can anything be done about natural light.? Before you emphasize/enlarge island think about that end of room: how different it is compared to the higher ceiling area. If you remove the door, don't increase windows, and place island with seated people facing into the darker more closed in part of your space, I think you're going against the natural inclination which is for humans to gravitate to lighter brighter spaces. The change in pitch between the 2 ceiling heights is dramatic in your space, and removing the door for functional purposes may have merit, but even that reduction in light will be significant. Can you do anything about windows/natural light before you redo the kitchen in that space?

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

herb-are you talking about my question about moving the side door? If it's feasible, I'd choose losing the full lite door over putting the fridge in the dining area. Widening the the window over the kitchen sink is a good suggestion, though.

The space for an island is near square, so here it is rotated in my drawing. You're right, it would be a more comfortable orientation...

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

If you're open to widening the kitchen window or if you don't care if the sink is centered on that window, I think this is a worthwhile layout to consider. Also, with table seating so close I'd probably eliminate the counter seating to gain five linear feet of 24" base cabinets for storage. This drawing shows a 30" sink centered on a 60" window...

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lots of ideas! I like the idea of the larger kitchen window and possibly the refrigerator on the right of the dishwasher. I'll have to take a look those measurements and see what size we would have to reduce the sink cabinet to get that to work.

To get a feel for the island and different layouts, we have turned the island sideways and taped off the floor for both seating and base cabinets on the backside, and we also moved the refrigerator to the wall opposite of the kitchen table. I think we live with it a couple of weeks and see how we like it.

Moving the door to the patio is not an option for us. I like the cabinets under the other windows as we have considered this before, but the windows go a little to low resulting in a very low window bench. We are all tall so it feels very low!

Thank you

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sena,

That is fantastic, that is the layout we have been envisioning! Thank your for the renderings, they really helps seeing the overall space. We will continue to test out the layout with the refrigerator in the new location, but so far, we like it!

Moving forward while we test out the layout, I need to find room for:

1. double trash cans

2. microwave location

3. pull out spice rack or racks

4. storage for cookie sheets / pizza stones

5. pull out base with recessed cans to hold utensils, spatulas etc.

6. Hood design, cabinet style or stainless steel

7. decide whether to put a cabinet on the wall to the right of the sink

Thanks

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the layout we are going with on the main corner of the kitchen! This site is great as I found this picture after we had decided to move the stove over and dead end the wall cabinets in the corner vs a corner cabinet. Seeing the same plan sealed the deal.

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

benjesbride and sena01, thank you for your visual layouts you put together, they helped out immensely in finalizing a layout. After playing with some details over the past couple of months while we completed the other updates to our home, I think we are finally settled in on a layout. If either of you have time, I would love to get your feedback on the layout and see the changes on your 3d layout. Thanks again!

• sena01
    6 years ago

I think it would be more useful and maybe cheaper to have an 18" cab b/w the corner cab and the range instead of having two 9" cabs next to the range.

I'm not clear about the wall with the fridge. What is the distance b/w the edge of the island and the edge of the fridge?

• kenstl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

the two 9" cabinets on each side of the range are going to house a spice rack / oils etc, and a similar cabinet a pictured to hold all of our utensils, so I would really hate to get rid of those.

the distance b/w the edge of the island and the edge of the fridge will be just over 38". It is the narrowest walk way area. We have been able to expand from our prior layout, the space between the island and the counters on each of the two other sides, from 36" up to 41" by moving and reshaping the island.