Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waltonglade

SW Repose grey- too dark and gloomy for a small room?

waltonglade
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I recognize that this is an impossible question to answer but thoughts would be helpful. I have a small guest bedroom for which the bedlinen looks to be a great match for Repose Grey (SW helped me select the color - the bedding is mainly a cream color, but with grey'ish bronze and teal accents- sounds weird but to me it actually looks nice https://www.target.com/p/gray-teal-marissa-geometric-multiple-piece-comforter-set-8-pc/-/A-52036008#lnk=sametab&preselect=52029966). The room is about 11ft square and doesn't get much natural light. The walls are currently a very cold pale blue (previous owner) and uninviting. A test of Repose Grey on the walls does tie in well but I'm concerned about it looking too dull and gloomy (and small) once the whole room is done. On the other hand, the color of the bedlinen makes it hard to find a lighter color that wouldn't result in having too many shades of cream. The room definitely needs something with some color depth so as not to be overly bland, but I don't want to go with teal for walls as that would be too much and too cool (teal will come in through accessories). I also tried City Loft, which looked great on the chip, but too yellow on the walls. I bought a color fan and this took me back to choosing Repose Grey again. My question- in general terms is Repose Grey a reasonable option to consider for small rooms with limited natural light, or does your experience suggest otherwise? What if I have it made up at 50%?I'd like to stick with SW. Thanks in advance

Comments (10)

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

I think it would look fine. My equally small guest room is painted in a darker color & it makes everything, the furniture, artwork, lamps, etc look very rich. You could have it lightened but if you're concerned about it looking dull you could add metallic accents to add some sparkle, or a crystal lamp, things like that.

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    6 years ago

What about a very pale shade of the blue trim.

• waltonglade
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all.

Genevieve, there's so little of the wall present in those images that I couldn't really tell what the color was.

Barbara Griffiths Designs, I see what you mean but the walls are currently pale blue and it looks cold, so I am aiming to warm things up a little. I have accessories of the teal that I am using to add color in smaller doses.

K Laurence, what you said is what I was aiming for so I'm glad it worked out well for you

• prairiemom61
    6 years ago

I love Repose Gray! We used it in basement rooms with no natural light and also in a small office with one north window. Looks great with white or wood trim. It's quite a chameleon and plays well with so many colors! I'll try to find a pic.

• waltonglade
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks prairiemom61, that great to know. Would love to see some pics

• prairiemom61
    6 years ago

Repose Gray. We used 3000k LED can lights in the bedrooms.
    We have not yet switched the lights in this room to LED so the three 40w bulbs in the ceiling light read more yellow but irl it just looks nice and neutral.

• waltonglade
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, looks great. What I see for the first image is just what I'm looking for, and in the second one it shows how different it looks as the light changes. I definitely need to work out the right lighting for my room. Much appreciated

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

This is a Light Reflectance Scale (LRV). LRV tells you how much light a color will reflect and how much it will absorb. Sherwin Williams includes LRV on their paint chips. Repose Gray has an LRV of 58%. The average guideline for interiors is 50%. So, Repose Gray is brighter than the average guideline for visually functional and supportive wall color. Technically, it's not too dark but how you perceive it is the only thing that matters. If it is too dark, then you know you want a different color that has an LRV greater than 58%.

Cutting the formula by 50% affects every dimension of the color - hue/value/chroma/LRV - not just the brightness/lightness. Changing the formula in any way whatsoever basically creates a new color and you won't know what that brand new color looks like until you have it mixed and you have to buy the paint whether you like it or not.

A smarter strategy than playing the game of cutting formulas and buying paint you don't want is to just look for a different color.

• waltonglade
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Lori, that's very helpful, especially your comment about the impact of cutting the formula. I've seen several folks say they have done that but what you say makes sense. I've tried lighter colors and find they just get washed out with all the cream on the bedding, so the Repose Grey was really appealing. I've painted a large sample area now and I'm getting used to it, I think it should work just fine. Thanks again