Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_cool

penny tile looks askew

Michelle Cool
6 years ago
This penny tile install looks askew to me. I find my eye is drawn in a square type pattern.
Is this how it is supposed to look or is something wrong?

Comments (36)

• Michelle Cool
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It's about 31 x 33. should I be able to see the seams where the sheets were put together?
  • Michelle Cool
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That is what I feared. Any idea how the contractor can fix this?
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

YOU are the only person who will notice...but I would ask for a 1/3 discount on the labor for the floor. It might have been his /her first time laying penny tile and it is tricky.

• Cor
    6 years ago

I noticed it right away too - it was laid incorrectly. Be firm and have the installer fix it. Hopefully you have not paid them yet.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    6 years ago

Michelle, You should not see that obvious line between each sheet. To be fair, some manufacturers do make lining up these patterns more difficult as they may not mount them perfectly (variances from sheet to sheet). BUT that can also be manipulated somewhat by the installer. Also, the grout is of high contrast to the tile which even further accentuates the problem. Without having the material in our hands, it is hard to say how much is manufacturer and how much is installer error. We just finished an install that took almost twice as long as anticipated as the tile was uneven in thickness and we needed to remove many pieces from the sheets to get the proper aesthetic. This costs money. I highly recommend that homeowners ask the tile supplier for finish photos of their tile selection installed in other projects and ask if other installs experienced any problems with the material. You won't always get the answers you need, but any information can help in making selections. Sorry you are dealing with this. We would not personally accept the result you have.

• mcguffeyhighschool
    6 years ago

YOU are NOT the only ONE to notice! I would as Cor said BE FIRM and have it fixed.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Add to that the drain is centered in the pan.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    6 years ago

Drain in center is not a problem in itself. You have a consistent positive pitch from all points.

• Michelle Flake
    6 years ago

I saw it right away too! So sorry! I hope you can get it fixed!

• skmom
    6 years ago
    I would NOT be happy with that... sorry. :(
  • Stacey
    6 years ago
    Maybe if it is regrouted in a medium gray closer to the penny tile?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I wouldn't be happy with it. But I would have been breathing down their neck to make sure they laid it out correctly. pennies, hex, pebble rock,,all need to be done a certain way so you don't see the seams.

A lot of installers don't know how to install these grid sheets (or really don't care).

you have to offset them so you can't see the grid lines. Basically, mix up all the edges instead of lining them up like soldiers. It's take some precise work to get them to look like this

I would have also gone w/a gray grout. white for a shower floor isn't the best idea.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Its not that bad, over time it will become less noticeable as the grout ages and darkens. Even the best jobs I've seen are somewhat noticeable at first. I always see the lines somewhere.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

suzy,,,unless her grout turns dirty gray, it's always going to be noticeable! a little grid line here and there,, maybe,,,but not every single square. sorry,,I disagree on this one. That's a lazy installer.

Enlarge my pic that looks yellow, above. you really can't see any except on the sides where the grout wasn't cleaned off well enough.

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    If it was a deeper grey grout you would not notice, but that is not the point, should have be laid properly
  • Michelle Cool
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks for everyone's comments. I'm talking to the contractor today about it to see what has to be done to fix it. Anyone know if it has to all be removed and redone?
  • jtbeck
    6 years ago
    Yes I believe to do it correctly it all needs to be removed and redone. Penny tile can be tricky but I'm a DIYer and this backsplash was my first attempt. You have to stand back every so often to look and sometimes just a couple millimeter adjustment is all it takes to avoid seeing lines. I would push to have it redone because that would drive me crazy and hurt resale value. Otherwise it looks like a beautiful bathroom.
  • Michelle Cool
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That looks great jtbeck! thank you for the advice.
  • Michelle Cool
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The contractor is going to redo it. He said this is the first time that they have installed on shower floor, as it is too slippery...plus the shower floor is sloped. They have only done it on walls and niches. I'm nervous that the redo will still have issues. Any advice?
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

A slightly larger hex with matching grout might work better.

• skmom
    6 years ago
    Glad they're redoing it!
    Does it feel slippery to you? I've never stood on a penny tile shower floor, but I would think that enough grout stays exposed that it solves that problem. I know I've had a shower floor with 2" tiles that were slippery, but there was enough grout that the floor overall wasn't slippery. (I didn't choose that tile, it came with the house we bought, I wouldn't have chosen it, but it has worked out just fine anyways.)
  • silviakunst
    6 years ago
    Perhaps you can try a darker grout first . Tell the contractor you are willing to do that ...but if you are still unhappy after living with it ..he would h e to remove the tiles and start fresh .hopefully the second time it works ...or if he doesn't know how to do it get another TIle for the flooring . ..it's too bad ...!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

perhaps a matte finish on the tiles? use a gray grout (Mapei FlexColor CQ is stain proof) and have the tile guy look up the correct way to install them! tell him he has to offset each sheet so you can't see the seam lines!

• Michelle Cool
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is the progress today. They removed part of the tile and redid it. I think it looks laid well from my inexpert eye.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 years ago
    Yes looks much better this time.
  • Cor
    6 years ago

I don't see any lines :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

much better. did they stagger them this time?

as for the grout, is this a premixed grout? If not, I hope they are able to match the color w/this new tile they grout. Even something as simple as not using the exact amount of water as they did in the first batch can throw off the tone.

• Michelle Cool
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, they staggered them. The grout is Fusion silicon so not sure about the mixing. I'll have to look that up.
  • jtbeck
    6 years ago

Looks good!

• smu7598
    6 years ago
    I'm
  • Katharine Flanders
    6 years ago
    Michelle, complain. Two glaring problems: one is the spacing between, which you mentioned; second is they were supposed to begin at the drain and work out to the edges. If this had been a DIY, you might live with it. But if you paid professionals to lay the tile, then they have to redo it.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Katharine,,,they did redo it.

• Diana Mowatt
    6 years ago

I love your shower wall tile, what is it if you don't mind my asking?

• petrovchanka
    5 years ago

Beth H.,

Your advise about stagger the sheets makes perfect sense and I personally thank you for that feedback. I was hesitant to have this tile laid because an installer said it was a pain and would always look "wavy". I am confident that, when I consult with my chosen installer, he will know what to do when we discuss the stagger technique. Thank you!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

petrov,,you're welcome. the key is to look random. taking off single pieces (say of pebble rock or penny rounds) on the edges, and hand placing them will also keep from getting those straight looking borders. and some pebble tiles also come in a staggered edges now!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!