Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyday321

Hardwood trends?? And is this too busy?

happyday321
6 years ago

Hello! What are the current trends for hardwood floors as far as wide plank or not, color, distressed or not, and borders/patterns or not?

If the answer is that it just all depends on the style of the house, we are building a house that has a Georgian style exterior, and I really love a traditional look, or a "new old house look".

Below are some options we are currently looking at. Most of the kitchen cabinets will be the white color in the middle (upper and base cabinets). The island will be stained. The two flooring options are both solid oak. The one on the right is not distressed and has less of a bevel. The one on the left is handscraped and beautiful, but maybe too busy? We will have the same floors throughout the first floor. We have large south facing windows in the kitchen, so plenty of light. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (19)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

Go with classic (the right hand style) not trendy (the one on the left) for expensive items like hardwood flooring. Add trendy with inexpensive stuff like throw pillows--when the trend passes you can update inexpensively and frequently. Not to mention deeper beveling and texture holds and collects dirt.

• jellytoast
    6 years ago

Much prefer the flooring on the right.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Right. Is this hardwood or engineered hardwood?

• happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok thanks. I was worrying that the right was too boring. Both options are solid hardwood, not engineered

• glennsfc
    6 years ago

The handscraped on the left will show much less wear from use.

happyday321 thanked glennsfc
  • happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about wide plank? Again just a trend? Also borders or patterns?

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

I am researching floor options. These are both beautiful.

Brand and color please. I know the one on the left is more trendy but I can see why it's popular. It's kind of the look I'm going for as well.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

"The handscraped on the left will show much less wear from use."...

that sounds good.

• happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just thinking more about this - Can distressed floors really go out of style? Isn't that what all the beautiful older houses have? Seems like a timeless option to me...??

@ilovered - The one on the right is Churchill Oak Patina. The one on the left is Spring Creek premiere collection in sunset (random length planks). Both 3/4" thick and 5" width.

One of the things I like about both is that they are not glossy. both are on the matte side. That being said should I ask them if they apply a polyurethane finish (to increase durability)? Or is that standard? And does that change the glossiness? Sorry if that's an idiot question!

• happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much - I looked at those links. The solid hardwood options are in the $7/sq ft range. We want to stay closer to the $6/sq ft range. Do you know of any other brands that we could look into (again for oak, wire brushed)?

Also what plank length do you think looks good? (you said Churchill product has shorter lengths).

• happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@ilovered, since you are looking for the same style of flooring, I'd love to know of any other options you found!!

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    6 years ago

"Do you know of any other brands that we could look into (again for oak, wire brushed)?"

Oodles out there, but at that price range you're likely to see mostly imported. Maybe that works for you, I don't know. Shamrock may be an option. We Ship Floors has some stuff in that price range as does Build Direct (Canada). Only Shamrock has a dealer base if buying locally is important to you.

ProSource could also be an option. Or if you're in California every dealer has something because they're close to the ports and the tidal wave of stuff that comes from overseas.

"Churchill product has shorter lengths." I was only assuming as Bella Cera comes up using a search. They don't have good lengths. Longer the better in open areas. Oh another one...probably one of the better ones; Real Wood Floors. Not sure about pricing but has many dealers.

http://realwoodfloors.com/collections/storehouse-plank

Happy hunting

Ken Fisher
    Uptown Floors

happyday321 thanked Uptown Floors
  • PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    6 years ago

@Happyday321, We have 4 solid wire brushed White Oak floors in our Boardwalk collection. Hope you can find the look at the price level you desired.

White Oak Elegance Plyquet Boardwalk collection

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

For a solid hardwood, the $7/sf price point is going to be an issue. A moderate quality product will come in around $7 - $9/sf. The $6/sf is sinking into the low-end quality wise.

As soon as you want to add a distressed finish (of any sort) you have to step up into the $9 - $10 range to get any sort of quality.

Personally, I'm not fond of the distressed look. It came, it saw, it left. The trend is quickly turning away from distressed and back to a classical finish. For $6/sf, you are fishing in the higher level of "lower end". Staying ABOVE $7/sf is your best bet. And if you want a specialty finish (ahem...special = special priced) you need to look UP not down.

As for the kitchen, the choices will be strong and handsome...but your island (I'm assuming those dark espresso stained doors are the colour of the island) will disappear into your floor. That can be distressing - especially when you took so much time and effort to plan it out. If you want a dark island, you will want to go 3 steps DARKER or 3 steps LIGHTER than the floor. Or a completely different colour (like green or blue). Right now, your choices are blending so well, the island will disappear (visually).

happyday321 thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • happyday321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the info and suggestions. I've been thinking and looking, and of course have more questions now

1- our budget for flooring will not be changing. No offense, but there are other things in life more important than flooring, and I've got to save some of our cash for them! But I understand the quality will not be the same. Would i be better off looking at engineered wood in this price range?

2- I really liked the look of a couple Anderson hickory engineered floors - one is palo duro mixed hammer glow (handscraped), and Bentley plank hammer glow (wirebrushed). Photo below. Wire brushed on right, handscraped on left. Any thoughts on these Anderson products? Does Anderson use an aluminum oxide finish? And are there plank lengths reasonable? I'm also looking at the Home Depot brand home legend, their Barrett hickory mixed width Any reviews? Photo also below

3- I've seen some old threads recommend that we pick flooring not based on a sample, but only after we've seen it installed somewhere. My question is, how do I do that??

thank you again

• PRO
    The Flooring Girl
    5 years ago

Personally, I would avoid the one on the left as the bevels are way too deep and everyhing will get caught in there, especially in a kitchen. When we do hardwood in the kitchen, we usually refinish hardwood on site so it's flat and fully coated with polyurethane. It's ideal to use white oak, too (not red oak) as it's more resistant to water than red oak.

In terms of what's in style, check out this article on hardwood flooring trends.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    We are doing a wire brushed engineered from Novella (Hemingway) and they have lightly hand scraped if you are looking for more options. Good for wear, especially dogs. Just food for thought.
  • PRO
    Super Choice Carpet & Hardwood
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Solid Hardwood is a choice for the first and second floors, enhancing living spaces such as living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens and bedrooms.

Engineered wood can use for areas where solid hardwood cannot be installed, like in basements, over concrete floors or over radiant heating systems.

Now, it is your choice, for which you are looking for.