Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadee70

Pulling the Living Room Together, Ideas please...

chickadee70
6 years ago

Any ideas, design details or suggested changes would be appreciated! Our living room has a stairway wall, those stairs only go to a bonus room above the garage. One west facing window, and a slider on another wall. This room is open to the kitchen. Photos taken late afternoon with the sun starting to shine in, otherwise this room is darker earlier in the day. There isn't any overhead lighting (other than the eyeball light) I'd like to add either two more chairs or a loveseat to the furniture grouping. I am at a stopping point because I'm not sure how the furniture arrangement should be completed, or what pieces to add or what colors? The floors are natural walnut. We have a persian rug we moved here with and the colors are salmon/gold/red/teal and the rug "disappeared" when we put it on this floor with this lighting( It is now in the family room with the TV). I would like to have an area rug though. That's a sheepskin on the floor now for fun and cozy place for feet. Also it seems that the cabinets on either side of the fireplace don't seem like they are cohesive? The fireplace is very shallow, so the cabinets are further out. What about the lamps? Any ideas on a treatment for the fireplace wall overall? My chairs at the round table are from my dining set in the dining room, there are eight of them, so I wanted the extra ones in here. The table and chairs are our "eat in kitchen" so we like. Guests seem to gravitate to pulling out the dining chairs to sit and converse from if someone's in the kitchen. Love the french country/farmhouse style. Seems our pieces can go a bit traditional formal and would like it to feel more fresh and fun. I like a bit of electic or surprises too! (in a good way). That's SW Tumblin' Tumbleweed color on the wall that also goes into the kitchen.(It looks more gold in the photo than it really is) Love it! It's about the same color as the dining chairs) Cannot changes are: Piano placement,(yes, the piano is played). Window or adding windows. Still to come are our white taller baseboards, brown berber to go on the stairs. More photos to show.

Comments (20)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

You have a very welcoming room here!

I love four chair around a round ottoman in setups like yours. This is an example of the layout, although you would want to match the chairs you have or replace them with something warmer than the photo, I think. This looks colder and more austere than what you seem to be wanting:

You would want a larger rug so all four chairs can be fully on it.

Would it be possible to rotate the piano so the pianist is sitting with his/her back to the corner rather than back to the room? Sometimes that makes a big improvement in the layout but it's impossible to tell if that's a possibility from this photo.

chickadee70 thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • jck910
    6 years ago

I would remove the white bookcases and that wall is done. I like the idea suggested above of the 4 chairs. No loveseat only 1 person will sit on it at a time so the 4 chairs actually give you more seating. Rug, large enough for the chairs to sit on it.

chickadee70 thanked jck910
  • chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We didn't care for the bookcases either.

What color for the area rug? As light as white? or muted off white? I do like the idea of a four chair arrangement. The bookcases were used for getting lamp light higher, though we didn't think they looked right. We need more light in this room. I'm not sure about end table placement for lamps with four chairs? Should we go with tall torchiere type lights in the corners? Here are a couple more pictures of the piano wall (disregard the temporary tool station) What should be under the mirror against that wall? Photo of the view open to the kitchen (pantry shelves being built so everything from the pantry is in the kitchen). Thank you for suggestions, it's helpful.

• PRO
    The Welcome Home: Interior Design Solutions
    6 years ago

I would remove the two bookcases. I recommend shifting the table and chairs closer to the kitchen so you can fit a sofa under the large window. Then you can put the pair of chairs opposite it. Two side tables for the sofa with your existing lamps and a small side table between the two chairs with a glass topped coffee table (to keep it from feeling too crowded. Your area rug should be large enough for the front half of the sofa and the front half of the chairs to fit on the rug. You can add an extra dining chair under the mirror by the piano and possibly on either side of the stairs. This gives you seating for 5-10 people. (2 or 3 on the sofa, 2 in lounge chairs, 2 or more dining chairs added plus the 3 dining chairs around your table)

chickadee70 thanked The Welcome Home: Interior Design Solutions
  • jck910
    6 years ago

chickadee70 thanked jck910
  • chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Photo of the Slider/Window wall

Haven't finished trim around slider yet. Length of wall with the window photos.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Consider the sofa on the long window wall and move it so it is centered on the room....this will mean I think that the window will be on two thirds of the sofa and the corner area will be on one third of the window....add an end table and a lamp in that corner and larger art on the wall with the lamp somewhat in front of it....place one chair on a 45 degree angle on the sofa end closest to the slider. Place the other chair opposite it by the fireplace. This will give you room to use the stairs and get into the kitchen and the eating area. Move the round table closer to the kitchen and have a chandelier wired into the ceiling and directly above the table. Even a small crystal pendant over the small table would be enough. And four small sleek chairs around the table that are comfy and sleek.

Put an end table between the fireplace wall and the chair and use the other lamp so the lamp can splash light in a round area instead of up the walls; that looks unsightly. Add a pretty metal and stone cocktail table. See what you think? Is it possible for the piano to be rotated and moved a bit back toward the wall so you have more room for the small table.

I am just envisioning this in my head but if you can move the pieces a bit and if it works take a pic so we can see and hear what you think?

chickadee70 thanked Susan Davis
  • chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! Great suggestions to mull over. I wasn't sure if the stair carpet should be light or darker? Initially thought the stair skirt will be a painted white and dark carpet (either blue or brown), but the stair skirt could go dark and the stair carpet lighter? What do you think?

• chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Susan, Like your suggestions for moving the breakfast table. Thought it fits well on that small wall between the slider and window. This is not an easy living room with the stairs, two traffic entry points, a piano and a fireplace. We knew there was no way we were going to try to put the TV in here as well!

Here's a picture of the piano wall. Didn't want to place the piano too close to the stairway to impede traffic, and didn't want it too close to hall. So, it got put where it is. I knew I wanted a mirror across from the window, but it looks like it needs to be grounded. I thought of putting two small chairs with a tiny end table for under the mirror? What do you think? or a bench style setee?

• chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Susan, could you describe a small, sleek chair or provide a photo of an example? What should be the finish on the chairs? light painted? Thanks.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

If you're still wondering about the stair skirt, my personal preference would be to match it to the floor and to match the carpet to a tone in the floor as well, so the stairs look like a seamless continuation of the rest of the floor. Using blue carpet will lock you into blue as an accent colour for as long as the carpet lasts.

chickadee70 thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I cannot get any pic to post on my Chrome Book, sorry. But I was thinking a lower back, Ashley has a nice X back chair with upholstered seat in a cream or a soft green....you might google it and see what you think.....also lucite Ghost side chairs could could work too, but an upholstered seat for comfort.....or a rush woven seat can give a country vibe too.....it really is trial and error, but if you have a Craigs List or online newspaper for sale site you can get some great deals.....Also if you have an IKEA nearby they have a huge selection of side chairs that are fun and economical. Also Home Goods, Marshalls have great selections too.

chickadee70 thanked Susan Davis
  • chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update: We removed the round table/chairs. It helps much with making the room entry friendly instead of a "gated" feeling. The pianist in the family loves the piano where it is, and it makes us less anxious that it might be in the wrong place with the table removed. Here's some photos now of the edit. I would like any suggestions of what goes on that small wall between the slider and window now. We were thinking a small console type table as a landing spot, but thought of one cozy chair too, I just don't know. Maybe just a large art piece on the wall and leave the floor area open? Thanks so much Susan and Lindsey for checking back and your suggestions! Lindsey, I think you're right about "browning" up the stair skirt and carpet so it kind of disappears, and I did paint the interior walls of it off white because the previous owner had a darker color on the walls and it felt cave like. I'm thinking of finding a berber that comes in different colors and going with a lighter one for the area rug (with binding) and the same rug but darker for the stairs. (yeah! your suggestion!)

• chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Benches for open viewing seating! I found three locally and wondering what you might think about placing one of these in place of two additional chairs (I just have my two dining chairs in the photos because I was trying out the layout for the four chair circle) in the conversation area?

• Joe
    6 years ago

Beautiful pianoI I would consider turning it so you can see into the room as well as the "audience" when you're playing; especially if you play for others or have kids who play for you.

chickadee70 thanked Joe
  • chickadee70
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joe, Turning it so it's lengthwise along the wall it's on now, the bench seat would be towards the seating area? or opposite angle it's at now, so bench seat is towards the kitchen?

• Joe
    6 years ago

I can't really make out how the hallway meets the kitchen at that corner of the piano but I meant to turn the piano around in such a way so that the player would be looking into the living room to have a better view of people who would sit there to listen. I hope that makes more sense.

chickadee70 thanked Joe
  • Vicki B
    6 years ago

I'm with Joe on this. I love my piano turned so that I'm looking toward the living area and pretty window view, rather than turned toward the kitchen. The piano and bench are beautiful! :)

chickadee70 thanked Vicki B
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

It would be a good idea to decide on the furniture and layout for the rest of the room before you try to fill up the wall between the slider and window. It may turn out that the spot doesn't look empty at all, and art will be enough to give it a bit of interest.

Glad you like my vision for the stairs :)