Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salex

Best "holders" for drawer dividers?

salex
6 years ago

My cabinets are in, and because DH and I couldn't visualize/decide how to organize our drawers until we had them in place, I need to find some customizable dividers. I've decided on the type that holds 1/4" ply in place on the sides.

I've read that many here have used (and been happy with) the Lee Valley ones shown here. I'm trying to decide between those and these, which are adhesive-backed rather than spiked, so they would only stick to the drawer interior rather than leave a mark (DH likes to change his mind).

Has anybody used both types? Or if you've only used one type, would you use it again?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• Beth
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you are the least bit handy, I recommend making them yourself. It was really easy, very inexpensive, and they came out great.

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/diy-kitchen-utensil-drawer-organizer-easy-and-cheap/ 

I've been using mine more than a month now and they are just perfect. If I were to want something different, it would be easy to make a replacement (or add a new separation).

The only tools you really need are a saw. I clamped mine (because I have clamps), but it wasn't really necessary--the glue they recommend sets very quickly.

We used these (from the Container Store) at our last house and they worked really well, but we never tried to move them:

salex thanked Beth
  • salex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you get any movement/sliding around the edges? Most of my drawers are 34" wide, so I planned on doing something like you did for the interior junctions, but wanted to secure the outer edges of the side-to-side dividers (and like the blogger above, I don't want it too permanent in case DH changes his mind in the future!).

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

I've used Lee Valley dividers in 2 drawers in my kitchen, and 1 in my Mom's. After 4 years, I've felt no need to change any of them - I guess we both did a good job up front determining the spacing we needed. I almost wish I had more drawers - it was a fun project!

If you line the inside of the drawer with 1/4" pieces, you can easily reconfigure later if you want to. The Lee Valley clips don't leave a huge mark, so even if you attached directly to the drawer sides, you could do it over later. I guess I would be more concerned about the damage an adhesive might do upon removal.

salex thanked AnnKH
  • Beth
    6 years ago

salex, the trick is to cut the wood so it is snug so it can't slide.

However, we probably undercut ours a bit (1/4" or so) and so it slides if you move it with your hand--but in use, it doesn't move.

I'm thrilled with the ones we made and they were much less expensive than the ones the Container Store sells. They also match the inside of my drawers. Since we're in a rental right now, I wasn't willing to spend much money, but wanted my drawers organized.

BTW, if you do go with pre-done ones, the Container Store version comes in 2", 3", and 4" heights. My previous kitchen had some deep drawers and so the 4" ones worked really well. The strips are easy to cut to length by scoring them with a utility knife and then cracking them at that spot.

Disclaimer: I love power tools :-)

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

Thanks for posting. It's on my list to order from wood hollow, but I might try to make my own.

• salex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bethohio - I love power tools too :). So I like your suggestion b/c it involves making sawdust!

If I do the totally-DIY option like you did, I'll buy a sheet of ply, rip it on the table saw, and round over the tops on the router table. But I do like the idea of securing the sides. I guess I could still go totally-DIY by also gluing the sides to an "inner drawer side". I've seen photos where people have done that with the Lee Valley ones, just so they could remove the entire assembly periodically for cleaning.

• salex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Caligirl, I've salivated over the wood hollow accessories - they look like great quality - but since I do a lot of woodworking, I have a hard time buying something I could make myself. But I made an exception for the Rev-A-Shelf, Wusthof-style in-drawer knife block... those are a thing of beauty that would take me forever to make.

• Beth
    6 years ago

javiwa, I love the scoop in the flatware sections--I'm saving this picture for the new kitchen!

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

I used 1/4" poplar strips for mine too - easy peasy!

salex thanked AnnKH
  • chispa
    6 years ago

I've been doing research on kitchen drawer organizers the last few days and found this company when looking through Houzz photos.
    https://orderlydrawer.com/

They seem to have good reviews and the dividers can be customized. Not cheap, but I think they will be priced better than the ones I could buy through the kitchen cabinet dealer.

salex thanked chispa
  • linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    6 years ago

salex, if you don't mind, where did you order your Rev-a-shelf in drawer knife block? Thanks.

• oldbat2be
    6 years ago

javiwa - those are gorgeous, kudos to DH!

DH made most of ours, fairly quickly and certainly cost effectively, if you are at all handy.

Basically, it's a small piece of wood with a channel, screwed into the drawer, and then either plexiglass or thin wood slid into the channel.

I still have to tackle our shallower drawers.

Upper oven cabinet - We bought these (Omega Tra-Sta organizer, $100) and then DH figured out he could make them easily.

Baking drawer:

Platter storage:

Tupperware:

• javiwa
    6 years ago

Thanks, oldbat2be -- I'll pass along your compliments. :)

6 years ago

oldbat2be, did he buy or make the wooden channels in the DIY version? I have yet to see anything like that. Thanks.

• salex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@linnea56, I ordered it through a local woodworking organization in which I participate (they get supplies at a discount). I got the "double" block, which has a rear tier for smaller knives. It's available lots of places, including Amazon.

• oldbat2be
    6 years ago
    Linnea- made:) I can get details if you like.
    6 years ago

oldbat2be, those are really great! They look so much nicer than the plastic or metal ones I've seen. But, sadly, I don't have the means of cutting the channel in the wood.

• javiwa
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

linnea56: Sorry I can't find the link right now, but someone posted DIY dividers using lentil strips which are 'pre-notched'; these strips can be purchased at any big box store. You'd simply need to cut the dividers themselves to length. HTH.

ETA: Correction: dentils, not lentils. :) Food on the brain.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022