Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simermeet

Need help with bathroom layout

simermeet
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, I am in the process of constructing a house, and need help optimizing the bath. I have a space of 13X8 for a master bath, and am looking to fit shower and tub in it. The challenge is that I have a door to closet from the bathroom so both my 13 ft walls have doors in between.

I have designed some basic layouts, and would like to know if they are optimal, or can anything else be done with it. Thanks!

Here's a sample layout .

Sample Layout 1

Comments (12)

• Najeebah
    6 years ago

Constructing or designing? ie. exactly what stage of building are you at?

How does the bathroom fit into the rest of the plan?

Also, I see no windows, are they just not indicated, or do you have none?
    Closets through bathrooms are inconvenient to use and prone to mold and damp issues.

Posting your plan here for ease of access:

• simermeet
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, constructing the bathroom. The location is pretty much locked and cant be moved. The reason being if I move the bathroom, it will end up being right above kitchen. originally there were two windows one 48X48 on the left side. (that's where the tub was to go originally), and one 2 foot behind the toilet.

At this point we can't move the bathroom or the closet.

I am thinking of getting rid of the 48 window and putting two skylights instead.

Thanks

• simermeet
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The house is 3100 sqft, the master bedroom is appx 18X14.

• simermeet
    Original Author
    6 years ago

One other option I am thinking of is to put the tub and shower in the same enclosure on the right side, and placing the vanity on the left.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    without an enclosed toilet you also have the inconvenience waiting or disturbing the person using the toilet to access the closet. not at all optimal. you can incorporate a toilet separately but you would either have to split the vanity or reduce the size of the shower. look at the options of redesigning the entire space, it's less work and expense during construction than after.
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    a window in a shower is also prone to issues, and offers little privacy, especially at that size
  • simermeet
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, I actually had the toilet in a closet but it was making the bathroom look really small. a free standing tub was to be originally next to the big window. I will only put a shower there if I remove the window.

What are your thoughts on tub and shower in one enclosure opposite the toilet?

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    tub shower combos are rarely well designed. definitely not what I'd put in a master bath of a new build
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    ah roarah is correct, I misread the last part.
    i find open enclosures are generally idealistic but impractical
    simermeet thanked Najeebah
  • simermeet
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@roarah Do you have a privacy toilet in your 13X8 master bathroom? Do you mind sharing how you designed your bathroom, and did you have a closet through the bathroom? Thanks a lot!

• simermeet
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Najeebah, If I place shower opposit vanity, I will have about 3 feet of space between vanity and shower. Is that good enough to access vanity?