Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_smith4535

C'mon Houzz friends, come in and help me with some paint color advice.

John Smith
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So about a year and a half ago I came here begging for help in getting the "Kirkland's" out of my home. I was so sick of my neutral colors and it did not fit my personality. The first picture of my living room is what you came up with.....and boy do I love it. The colors are:

Walls - Sherwin Williams requisite gray 7023
Behind TV - Sherwin Williams peppercorn 7674

I took advantage of last weekend's Sherwin Williams deal and bought a bunch of non-tinted paint and now I'm ready to start selecting.

I am looking for direction on what Sherwin Williams paint color to do in the Foyer (which I imagine will go all the way up the stairs), kitchen, laundry (which is currently the same as my kitchen) and Bedroom.

The bedroom furniture will surely get replaced or painted during this redu as well.

A little about me: I'm a 35 year old single guy with just an obnoxious black lab here to keep things interesting. I was so thankful to everyone last time I was here and was so excited when you helped with my living room.

Let's see if you guys/gals can help me step up my game here again. I'm looking for you to pick my colors so I can just tell the store what to tint so I can get right into painting.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments (20)

• John Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    More pictures...
  • John Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    ...I promise...this is the last of them
  • indomom
    6 years ago

Consider Sherwin Williams Eider White for the kitchen, foyer and stair area. I think it would brighten things up and compliment your living room colors.

• lindajanequintana
    6 years ago

I would say continue with the color choices that you have already used. To change midstream to other colors would give a patchwork look, and im sure that is not what you want to achive.

• beanie1922
    6 years ago

Already great suggestions given. Just wanted to say that's a swankybachelor pad.

Maybe one suggestion. Elephant Ear in the bedroom. Do the kitchen floors lean more gray or brown?

• John Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks to everyone that responded. It sets me at ease thinking I can pick one color for the foyer/stairs/kitchen/laundry. I was considering this but I thought it was important to break it up. Glad you guys caught that.

I'd say the floor tiles lean more towards the tan/brown color. Not sure how well it will go with all the grays but we will see.

Someone offered to go two shades lighter than the requisite gray. Can you suggest what that would be? I'm very poor at recognizing how much lighter I'll need to go.

Thank you all again!!
  • mmilos
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Your kitchen granite and backsplash have a lot of gray in it, so I think the gray paint will work and "man" it up. This coming from another bachelor. :-)

Requisite gray works for you because it has beige undertones so it looks good with your brown tile and hardwood.

You can look at SW website for coordinating colors.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7023-requisite-gray#/7023/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

It looks like one shade lighter from Requisite Gray is "Alpaca" SW 7022.

• indomom
    6 years ago

Look! Eider White is a coordinating color with Requisite Gray; I didn't even know that when I suggested it. Let us see the final result, please.

• kulrn
    6 years ago

No advice for paint, just wanted to say I saw your room in the begining, and you've done a great job!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

No more gray for a 35 year old guy…you need something like this color, at least for accents.

• John Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I attached a few colors here to take a look at. I can never visualize any colors until the entire project is over though.

The top color is alpaca, second is elder white, and third is greyish. the elder white might be too white for me....but you guys are the experts.

I could pick one of those or just go requisite gray throughout the entire house.

What do you guys think?
  • mramsey
    6 years ago

The blue that Judy posted would be a great accent for the bedroom over in your other thread..

• indomom
    6 years ago

I love the Eider White. I think it really brightens the area and plays well with your gray.

• kulrn
    6 years ago

I like the white too. It's a good backdrop. I like this industrial vibe for a bedroom.

• barbarayyz
    6 years ago

A lighter gray than Requisite is Benjamin Moore 2111-60 Barren Plain.

• indomom
    6 years ago

Progress?

• John Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Walls are painted, bed and mattress have arrived. I've been out of town and slowly making progress while I'm home. Here is a photo of where I am at. Please ignore the bed covering (and the jeans ha)...it's holding me over while I finish up the walls. I'll probably pick one up next week.

More pictures to follow as I continue on.

I'm thinking an entire wall of wood planks behind bed with a large black and white framed picture above headboard.

Thanks for staying interested!
  • John Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh geez, I'm responding to the wrong thread....anyway....that's my bedroom if you care.

Walls are painted in the areas I was asking for help on. I'll send pictures when I get back in town.

Thanks again
  • indomom
    6 years ago

So dramatic! I like it. If you do the wood planks, let that be the focus and put your art on a different wall. Look forward to more pictures. :)