Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hartntex

The Galley "workstation 3" users please weigh in for advice.

hartntex
6 years ago

Do you use this workstation as your main sink? If so, do you think this would go with my Vermont Danby marble countertops? Also, what color accessories do you have? Any issues considering the $$$ of this sink. thx in advance.

Comments (11)

• Heather N
    6 years ago

I'm planning to get a similar Rachiele workstation sink in stainless steel with my Vermont Imperial Danby marble countertops! I'm getting a 44" one and a 30" one. I'm having a custom caddy built on the inside of the undersink cabinet to hold some of the accessories for the sink. So I can't tell you how useful they are, but I definitely think they would go with the Danby countertops!

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've gotten the Ruvati 45" but haven't installed it. It works exactly the way I prep. I am making my own extra accessories with cutting boards and hotel pans!

I see no point to it with entertaining. I want it for the ability to have the cut bowl and trash bowl just under the cutting board, and to prep from the colanders.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

I have a 42" Rachiele sink (the one ledge model two ledge models are also available). I use the chopping board and bowls all the time and it works very well--never have to use the counter for prep, so the counter stays clean. I really like how the copper hides any scratches and stains--makes cleanup very easy and also means I don't have to be all that careful to keep it looking great.

Not shown in the picture is a mini-sink insert with basket which I use if I have a lot of veggies to wash.

• hartntex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

so...what I'm getting from most reviews is that the 36" workstation is pretty useless and tasks could be performed just as easily in a 30 x 17 stainless sink with a cutting board on the side!~

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

What I've found is that the cutting board in the sink keeps the mess in the sink, not on the counter. Less to clean up. Just my opinion.

• Heather N
    6 years ago

Jerry - who makes your faucet and do you know which model it is? Really like it!

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The faucet is a Waterstone model 5300 in Tuscan Brass. If you purchase a sink from Rachiele (copper or stainless) Dino gives a 10% discount on Waterstone.

Faucet: http://www.waterstoneco.com/catalog/product/waterstone/Contemporary-PLP-Pull-Down-Faucet/5324

Click on the Finishes tab to see the colour selection. Prices on the Rachiele site.

• Aglitter
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Everyone, I want to mention even though this is an old thread for anyone finding information on The Galley sinks later, that you can add a 12" or 18" drainboard to one or both sides to extend your working space. A cutting board can be placed over the drainboard which they call a "dry dock," but obviously the bowl attachments can't be moved there. It is my understanding that by 2019, there are three cabinet companies that make special sink bases for The Galley sinks to store all the attachments under the sink to make it really efficient, Bentwood/Harmoni, Wood-Mode/Brookhaven, and NatureKast. The Galley also offers its own sink base designed by Doug Durbin. That said, you're going to struggle trying to get a workstation concept from a three-foot sink. If you don't have room for at least a five-foot, then you might want to reconsider what you do with the sink. A three-foot would be useful for a cutting board and one bowl accessory, but you'd have to move the items around if you wanted to use more accessories and still have room to wash anything.

Having seen numerous sinks by The Galley including at the headquarters showroom in Bixby, Oklahoma, I must say I'm not impressed with the quality relative to price. Welds are sometimes very visible and sloppily done. The bowls for inserts are cheap OXO bowls. I'm not thrilled with the design of the holding boards. I think Havens Metals may be my ultimate choice. I like the accessories better, the quality looks pristine as far as I can tell from reviews and photos online, and the price is about half of The Galley. I've also looked closely at workstation sinks from Rachiele, Kohler, Ruvati, and Julien, and overall I like the quality and styling of the accessories with Havens Metals the best. Each brand has something it does best above the others, but I'm looking at overall satisfaction.

By the way, my kitchen is tiny, and I'm considering squeezing a five-foot workstation sink into it to increase productivity. I feel it's a brilliant concept for people with limited counterspace even if for prep and cleanup alone, but I do see potential for using it as a plating and buffet station as well.

• hartntex
    Original Author
    5 years ago

although I do like the concept I'm so glad I didn't end up going with the Galley 36". I went with a larger Julien ss 30x18.10 sink (rear center drain) and I love it. I, also, have limited counter space with limited storage as well so I couldn't deal with having to store the unused equipment. Glad you updated the info re The Galley. My decorator wasn't too pleased that I didn't end up using it - oh well. If I ever have a kitchen island I will look into Havens Metals.

• Aglitter
    5 years ago

@hartntex Thanks so much for the update on how your project went! Since Havens sells direct to the public, kitchen showrooms and kitchen designers cannot make commissions on the sinks like they can The Galley that sells only through distributors, so it's possible your decorator lost some income from your choice. If The Galley wants more business, I think one day they will need to reconfigure their price scaling, as the base prices for the smaller sinks are competitive, but the larger the sink, the more dramatically the price increases. Furthermore, The Galley needs a better shape for bowl and strainers like Julien, Havens, Rachiele and others offer. Again, thanks for updating us.