Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Tonight's Dinner Party, My French Onion Soup . . . and Swim Goggles!

LynnNM
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Every year for the past 31 years, we get together with a number of our good friends for our annual homemade soup dinner party. I started it, as my mom used to do this at our house growing up. She'd make her wonderful homemade chicken noodle soup (with homemade noodles) for us every Halloween. We loved it, and so she was assured that we kids would go out trick-or-treating with something good and healthful in our bellies. She also made us homemade donuts for after. My girlfriends thought it was a fun idea, and so we got together and did this with all our combined kids when they were young. And, of course, the dads, too!

All these years later, our kids are grown, not living at home anymore, and two now even have kids of their own. But, we parents still get together sometime right before Halloween each year to celebrate the season together. Not on Halloween Night itself, though, as the grandparents now go off with their grandkids other places that night.

Anyhoo, we each make a big pot of homemade soup, which varies from year to year. Two of my girlfriends make their fantastic homemade breads. There's salads, desserts, iced tea. I don't like to bake much, and so I bring my pot of soup, a couple of appetizers and wine.

This year, I'm making my French Onion Soup, which everyone loves. It's a long process, as the onions need to sauté for two hours before you even add the beef broth, vermouth, etc. My problem, though, has always been that cutting onions causes me serious nonstop eye pain, not to mention that my eyes tear profusely! Last year, DH bought me a mandoline in hopes that would help. I can cut them faster now, but the pain and tearing still happens. And so today, I got the bright idea to use a pair of old swim goggles while I cut the onions . . . and it worked! And, yes, I've tried every other remedy anyone has ever told me over the years, but they haven't worked. At least not cutting this many onions. Soooo, the onions are now sautéing, and I am pain and tear-free!

Hope you all have a good weekend, too!

Comments (26)

• cattyles
    6 years ago

I wish we were neighbors!

LynnNM thanked cattyles
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago

Perfect solution, although I have a better one - I let DH prepare onions. While I start to tear up with my first onion it doesn't bother him at all. Of course that can only happen now that he's retired.

Onion soup is a favoriite of mine but I haven't found a recipe I really love enough to deal with the onions.

Would you be willing to share yours?

love the decorations too

LynnNM thanked maire_cate
  • Funkyart
    6 years ago

What a perfect solution! I also love French onion soup but don't make it all that often -- for the very same issues that you have no solved!

Have a wonderful evening!

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

What a lovely tradition, Lynn. Bringing families together is incredibly rewarding and has so many positive ripples.

LOL maire_cate, that is my solution too. Though having contacts helps me not tear up as much, if there are industrial quantities of onions involved DH volunteers- he is immune. DS2 OTOH cannot be in the same room as an onion on the chopping block.

LynnNM thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maire_Cate: I’d be happy to share it with you all here. If not today, then this weekend.

Sue: that is so funny!!!

My DH has no problem cutting onions either, but is always at work when I need them cut, darn it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Lovely! Have a great party.

I use sunglasses or else subcontract the work to a kid. Colder onions help. Also, not for cutting but for eating raw, soak them in cold water.

I made FO soup with a Martha Stewart recipe where you start from bones to make the beef broth. Fabulous. But when we moved, we found a local authentic french bistro that is just as good; haven't made it since!

LynnNM thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lynn’s French Onion Soup

Serves: 8

Ingredients:

• 2½ pounds Vidalia or other sweet onions, thinly sliced and quartered
    • 3 TBS butter or Smart Balance
    • 1 TBS olive oil
    • ½ tsp sugar
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 2½ TBS flour for thickening
    • 7 cups good beef broth
    • 1 cup dry Vermouth (or dry white wine/ I use Vermouth)
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 2 TBS cognac or brandy
    • 8 1" thick slices from a French baguette (or
      more)
    • Olive oil for brushing on baguette slices
    • 1 garlic clove
    • 1 cup coarsely grated Swiss cheese
    • 1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Melt butter and the 1 TBS of olive oil together in a soup pot on low heat; add onions, sugar and salt and stir to combine.
    2. Cook on very low heat for 2 hours, stirring every so often. Onions will turn a deep golden-brown color.
    3. Stir in flour, and then when the flour is totally mixed into the onions, add the beef broth, Vermouth and bay leaf. Increase heat and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and continue to simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or longer.
    4. Taste and correct seasoning, if needed.
    5. Before serving, place the baguette slices on a cookie sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil. Lightly toast baguette slices under broiler. Remove.
      Turn oven on to 400-degrees.
    6. Rub cut garlic clove over each toast slice and set aside.
    7. While oven is getting to 400-degrees, bring soup to a boil. Stir in Cognac.
    8. Divide soup into oven-proof bowls and place bowls on 2 sturdy cookie sheets.
    9. Top each bowl of soup with a baguette slice (you may want to put 2 baguette slices in each bowl, depending on the bowl size and your own personal preference). Top with 1/8 of the combined cheese mixture.
    10. Heat soup in oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheese mixture is bubbly and golden-brown.

Notes: I personally use Smart Balance instead of butter, and Vermouth instead of white wine. I also usually use Brandy instead of Cognac, just because we keep Brandy in our liquor cabinet all the time. This soup freezes well.

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My Halloween napkins and napkin rings that I made. Everything I found to buy was too cute or too cheap looking for my taste:

(edited to add that napkins are a PIA to make . . . never again!!! )

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

that's so cute!

LynnNM thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Bonnie
    6 years ago

What a fun tradition Lynn. And how nice that you have been able to keep it going. Good soup, good friends, good times! Enjoy.

LynnNM thanked Bonnie
  • daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

I am incredibly jealous - of both the friend tradition and the soup.

LynnNM thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • straitlover
    6 years ago

Onion soup - yum!

Did you know they sell onion goggles? You saved some money, LOL!

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/onion-goggles/112667/

LynnNM thanked straitlover
  • ratherbesewing
    6 years ago

Contact lenses also help alleviate the tears.

LynnNM thanked ratherbesewing
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago

Thanks for the recipe Lynn. We usually have prime rib or roast tenderloin for Christmas and often serve potato leek soup. Everyone loves French onion too so I think I'll change it up this year.

thank you, Maire

LynnNM thanked maire_cate
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

The title of your post was so funny and your write up Just as cute. So happy you have found a solution. And thanks for your recipe.

LynnNM thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bunny
    6 years ago

What a fabulous tradition! I've never made French onion soup, but it's one of my favorites, albeit a rare treat.

ratherbesewing, same here! I've been wearing contacts for 30+ years and have not had the onion/eye thing during that time. I don't usually slice 2-1/2 pounds of onions in one go, but chopping an onion is no problem. I worried that somehow my soft lenses were absorbing whatever it is that causes tears, but it's never been an issue.

Can you slice onions in the food processor?

LynnNM thanked Bunny
  • Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

I also wear contacts and had no idea how much they helped with chopping onions until I had my glasses on instead one day. Somehow trying to picture the swim googles makes me think of a fun children's book illustration. Thank you for giving me this image.

LynnNM thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Fori
    6 years ago

The goggles for onions IS in a kids' book! I just can't remember which...Judy Blume? Beverly Cleary? Dagnabbit that's gonna bother me that I don't remember....

LynnNM thanked Fori
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Glad you all got a kick out of the image of me whacking away at all those onions (LOL)! I can assure you that I looked totally goofy, and was glad no one was here to see me!

One helpful hint regarding the Soup, if your oven is being used for other dishes, or for whatever reason you don’t want to take the time to put the filled bowls back in the oven to melt the cheese, try this instead: place your toasted slice of garlic bread in the bottom of the bowl, mound your shredded cheese on top of it, and the slowly ladle your hot soup around and then over it. The hot soup will melt the cheese and the toast should float up a bit.

• Bluebell66
    6 years ago

What a fun party idea! I'm definitely trying your soup - it sounds delicious. Your napkins are cute! But agree they are a PIA. One year I made two dozen for Thangksiving. How can something seemingly so easy be such a pain to make? Ugh. Never again!

LynnNM thanked Bluebell66
  • badgergal
    6 years ago

LynnNM, I made onion soup with your recipe and served it at a dinner party last night. It got rave reviews all around. I didn't need swim goggles. My 44 year old Oster Regency mixer/blender/food processor/meat grinder quickly cut the onions into perfect thin slices. Not a tear was shed.

Thanks for the recipe. In return here is another soup recipe that I make that everyone loves

Ina Garten’s Winter Minestrone Soup

• Ingredients:
    • Good olive oil
    • 4 ounces pancetta, ½-inch-diced
    • 1½ cups chopped yellow onions
    • 2 cups (½-inch) diced carrots (3 carrots)
    • 2 cups (½-inch) diced celery (3 stalks)
    • 2½ cups (½-inch) diced peeled butternut squash
    • 1½ tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
    • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
    • 26 ounces canned or boxed chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi
    • 6 to 8 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
    • 1 bay leaf
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    • 2 cups cooked small pasta, such as tubetti
    • 8 to 10 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
    • 1/2 cup good dry white wine
    • 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
    • Garlic Bruschetta (see recipe)
    • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add the pancetta and cook over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the onions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic, and thyme and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.

Add the tomatoes, 6 cups of the chicken stock, the bay leaf, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.

Discard the bay leaf. Add the beans and cooked pasta and heat through. The soup should be quite thick but if it’s too thick, add more chicken stock. Just before serving, reheat the soup, add the spinach, and toss with 2 big spoons (like tossing a salad). Cook just until the leaves are wilted. Stir in the white wine and pesto. Depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock, add another teaspoon or two of salt to taste. Serve large shallow bowls of soup with a bruschetta on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and serve hot.

Garlic Bruschetta

• 1 baguette
    • Good olive oil
    • 1 garlic clove, cut in half lengthwise

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Slice the baguette at a 45-degree angle in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil and bake for 6 minutes, until lightly toasted. Take the slices out of the oven and rub the surface of each one with the cut clove of garlic.

Here it is as a work in progress from when I made it in November

This picture is from Ina Garten's website

• User
    6 years ago

Badgergal, I knew that was Ina's minestrone before I scrolled up and saw her name. We love it with the butternut squash! I've never made the bruschetta (love garlic, but not garlic bread) or added the pesto, but that will change next time. Just bought a big jar at Costco.

• badgergal
    6 years ago

CindyMac, I havent bothered with the bruschetta any time I’ve made the Minestrone soup but definitely add the pesto and wine. It adds to all the great flavors in the soup.

• User
    6 years ago

I add wine after sautéing the veggies, prior to adding the tomatoes. Will definitely add the pesto next time.

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ohhh, I’m so glad you all enjoyed my soup, Badgergirl! And, thank you for that Winter Minestrone Soup recipe. It sounds wonderful. I’m going to make it for us next week.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida