Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opaone

Commercial Espresso Machine ?

opaone
6 years ago

We currently have a PID'd Rancilio Silvia. Overall very happy with it after 12 years of use.

The one key drawback is when making drinks for more than one or two people. Mostly having to wait for it to heat up between pulls but also not always having steam exactly when I want it, having to take time to surf for temps and having to manually pull the machine out and refill the water tank. I've not timed it but I'd guess it's about 6 to 8 minutes between drinks. Not a problem for one or two but does start to become a problem for 3 or 5 or more.

One option is a second Silvia. An advantage to that is if one is busted I'll still have one working. I could potentially have one setup for steaming and one for shots but I'm not sure that'd be the best approach.

Another and perhaps better option is a better double boiler or HX machine and possibly a commercial one. This would then also bring in the how automatic issue. Auto's have seemingly gotten much better than even just 5 years ago.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• kaismom
    6 years ago

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/espresso-machines

Try this. I think you can go to the shop and test out the machines. Maybe there are stores like that in other cities.

• malabacat
    6 years ago

Another good website is http://coffeegeek.com. Their forums are really helpful. How fast are you hoping to make each drink? I have a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi ii. It has a double boiler, is commercially rated (they say "light commercial use"), and is pretty fast imo. I have a two minute lag btwn shots. I pull each shot for approx 30 secs, and then it takes me about 90 secs to bang out the puck, clean out the portafilter, repack w/coffee and put it on the machine. And by the time I'm ready, the machine is ready again. I don't have the plumbed version, but the water tank is easy to pull out (it's right in front) and I can make 5 or 6 shots before needing to refill. I probably could do a couple more, but I've never tried. The plumbed version would solve this problem of course!! It steams milk like a dream too.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    6 years ago

I also have a La Spaziale, one of the original S1's that is plumbed in. Have had it for 13 years now. Like malabacat I haven't found any wait time between pulling shots - it seems to recover plenty fast. Note there are two ways you can have the S1 configured - 15 amp, which gives the brew boiler priority and only heats the steam boiler once the brew one is up to temp, or 20 amp (you'll need a dedicated circuit/proper wiring gauge/different receptacle which allows both brew and steam boilers to heat concurrently. Mine's configured as a 15 amp and it's been perfectly fine. There's also a great forum for this machine S1 Cafe Forum

• homepro01
    6 years ago

I also have a La Spaziale, it is about 7years old and it is the S2 with 20amp setup. I also have the pre-infusion chamber on mine. There is no wait time for my machine between shots. I pull shots and foam milk for lattes at the same time. Not a cheap machine but I have not had a moment of regret since owning it. I have mine plumbed using a Flojet (Flojet from Chris Coffee) with a 5gal water jug. I also have it draining into another 5gal jug. These are under the cabinet. I have had dinner parties for twenty and pulled 20 shots in succession with foaming happening at the same time. I purchased mine from Chris Coffee and they have supported any issues with the machine. I have a leaky water valve because I did not descale in a few years so parts are easy to order and the unit is really easy to repair.

Good luck!

• Michelle misses Sophie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree on the recommendation for Chris Coffee! That's where I bought my S1. And to clarify, even though on the 15 amp setup the brew boiler gets electrical/heat priority, once both boilers are up to temperature/pressure you can pull/steam concurrently, at least for several lattes before the steam boiler will have to wait a moment or two before it's "authorized" to recover (while the brew boiler comes back up to temperature).

I believe (would have to check the manual), that the machines are the same, you just have to change the plug and one of the programmable machine settings to change from the 15 amp to the 20 amp configuration. It depends on the service (house) wiring/circuit/receptacle which is appropriate for the specific customer situation.

• opaone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all. Wow, 75% of responses are happy La Spaziale folk. That's kind of a good recommendation. :-) Does anyone find it too automated or just right?

I've followed CoffeeGeek since its inception. Sadly it seems to have slagged off quite a bit over the past couple of years.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    6 years ago

There's not a whole lot of "automation" to the La Spaziale. You still need a separate grinder (I have a Macap), you can set the temperature yourself, as well as program the single and dual shot volume buttons. I built up a spare portafilter to check group pressure, but have only used it once. My spare machine is a Silvia as well, although it's stock, no PID.

• weedmeister
    6 years ago

I'll just say that your counter top outlets should already be on a 20 amp circuit. If you can dedicate one set to your machine, you should not have to install new wiring, though you might need to change the outlet if the plugs don't match.

• homepro01
    6 years ago

Agree with Michelle. The La Spaziale is not a super automatic. I also have a Macap grinder. You have to set the temperature, which can be changed for each shot or different types of coffee. You program the double or single shot . I also check my group pressure every 3 months or so and some even adjust this daily too. I do have a timer on mine which starts the unit early in the morning so that I can make a latte before my first meeting. The machine has been rock solid through daily use for 7years. I really like it and would buy it again. Although there are some new kids on the block that may give me pause:-)

• opaone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all. We are building a new house so power and plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Curious your thoughts on the new kids on the block? My coffee snob son thinks I should get a La Marzocco but he apparently doesn't think it important enough to chip in on the cost :-)

• homepro01
    6 years ago

What’s your budget opaone?

• opaone
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Depends on what I can come up with to tell the CFO. My doc was going to write a prescription for a daily shot of some very specific espresso that only a certain machine can make but I fear she's getting suspicious after the prescriptions for a minimum of 3 glasses of wine or beer per day, a weekly massage, a cappuccino each morning made only by a La Marzocco, and one more I can't mention on here. There was also the internal organ failure I was experiencing from being too near an internal combustion engine that required I begin driving a Tesla. :-)

It really depends on what I find, if I decide it's worth it, and how far over budget we are on other stuff. Over $3k would likely be tough.