Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troy_lilly

How Can I Landscape My Steep Sloping Front Yard?

Troy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Houzz friends, I'm seeking some advice and guidance for how to approach our slippery slope of a front yard! We purchased the home over the summer and quickly realized that mowing the front lawn is downright challenging, and worse, it's dangerous. My first mowing job consisted of losing my footing and letting the mower engine shut off, then restarting. Someone less cautious could easily end up with a leg under the mower.

As you can see, the house is perched up on a hill; the driveway is carved into the side, and also a nice grade itself. The front lawn is much steeper and is currently supported by a stone retaining wall on its right side that easily stands 60 inches tall. Vertically and horizontally, this yard is a challenge.

Looking to explore options bush and shrub options that are relatively low maintenance and also not too ornamental or busy. Also, should we be concerned about soil preservation? With my limited understanding of gardening, I've read that erosion is a common symptom of sloping yards. How much of the lawn should be removed? The scope of improvements would also include adding a row of bushes for privacy on each side of the house.

We'd love to hear from anyone who has experience replacing grass with a groundcover or shrubs on a slope similar to this. Location: Maryland (Washington, DC Suburbs). Hardiness Zone: 7

Thanks in advance for your help!

Side view. See retaining wall height reaching over 5 feet with integrated steps from the driveway to the front porch

View from bottom of driveway. Notice bottom of the slope, driveway and retaining wall all begin at base street level.

Comments (12)

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

I had a yard like that at my last house. Some people planted areas of shrubs and one neighbor had a rose garden, but most people grew drifts of ground covers. In general, folks didn't want a lot of grass to push the lawnmower up and down.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Retaining wall with picket fence on top

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I knew this had to be Maryland/DC suburbs! Looks so much like the house we lived in when I was in high school - Rockville.

Agree with the suggestions of a retaining wall.

Troy thanked Chessie
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

On the "privacy" issue, you'd need to spell out details of exactly what you're talking about -- why and how -- in order to get feedback on it.

It's definitely easier to maintain groundcover in shade than it is in sun, because weeds in general are fewer. Weeds will be the biggest problem but it is not insurmountable. You'd need to provide a more complete, overall view of the front yard in order for anyone to know if and where more trees could be employed. I'm a firm believer in groundcover when it comes to slopes that are too steep to mow. You have to have it fully planted in order that erosion doesn't take place. I'm opposed to mass shrub plantings because they are much more maintenance. A groundcover is self limiting on height. With them, it is usually just edging. Sometimes it is a one-per-year cut. With mass shrubs it is a LOT of trimming.

Say where you are.

And what are other neighbors of townsfolk using as groundcover in similar situations?

• Troy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Doug, wow! Your illustration is so detailed and helps to give me a better idea of how to add some depth and dimension in the front. I'm really keen on the symmetry of your first sketch, with what I believe to be liriope? I honestly never thought about extending the retaining wall to the front elevation or adding steps. Thanks for taking the time to sketch up those concepts.

This is likely the direction we will go as the stone from the existing retaining wall is also used for the pathway the leads from the driveway to the back patio and around the entire back of the house.

In evaluating ground cover, Pachysandra is one I seemed to have overlooked. We have two huge maple trees at the very bottom of the front yard and don't want to plant anything that will pose a threat to them. Great suggestion there.

What is a reasonable range to expect for a project of this scope? I understand every region and professional is different, among many other countless factors. Just wondering if this is $8k-$10k vs. $15k-$20k job.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. You are correct, that is Liriope in the first sketch. I am in the Wiliamsburg/Richmond VA market vs the DC market, but with a wall I expect you are in the $15-20K+ range (depends on the actual scope of work).

• PRO
    Milcasa
    6 years ago

Hello.View several design options.

• Troy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Chess Yes, we are definitely in the DMV. So many homes were built in the cape cod and cottage styles inside the beltway during the 40s and 50s. We're over in southern Prince George's County near National Harbor.

@Yardvaark I should say we want bushes to better define the property lines on each side of the house in the front. I like something that looks like Arborvitae but doesn't grow as tall. We do have a privacy fence in the back and on the sides do some of the job. Other neighbors have used...wait for it – English or variegated ivy. It's enough work removing ivy from my mature trees in my forested backyard, so I don't want to introduce it anywhere else. I'll add some additional photos that illustrate the full picture of what needs to be done.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

A retaining wall is expensive. I always wanted one at my last house but it never got to the top of the priority list. How much money do you want to spend on this? But if you do want to invest in one, it would add additional separation of your house from the sidewalk. Plus get rid of the issue of mowing on a slope.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    6 years ago

"We have two huge maple trees at the very bottom of the front yard and don't want to plant anything that will pose a threat to them."

The problem is not hurting the maples; it's finding something that will grow under maples.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

Yeah, if they are Norway maples, forget trying to grow anything under them that won't look scraggly. I have tried it all. You could get some big cement planters for under them but they would be pricey and would have to be watered all the time.