Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnmamax3

Is this chair too small for my living room?

mnmamax3
6 years ago

Picked up this great chair yesterday - it's comfy and at an excellent price but I'm concerned it is too small up next to the taller couch or am I just over thinking it because there is nothing else yet in the room. The torch lamp and throw rug will not stay... :)

Should I get a matching chair? Should they be here against the window or does anyone have a better idea for layout?

We will be getting a rug (I think 8x10 should do it - with the short side along the window) and the tile for the fireplace is due any day: Olympia Plant Grey in 10x60" planks. We're coming along on the painting and also on the list is new carpet and tile in adjacent rooms. http://www.olympiatile.com/product/series/747/plant

My other chair preference would be something similar to West Elm Lucas without the huge price tag. This one has good reviews and is well sized for me (I might even be able to touch the floor) but I am not sure I can bring myself to go for the fun navy color and also not a fan of velvet and how it will show cat fur and hand/backside prints. https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/wade-logan-edmund-swivel-armchair-wlgn5013.html?piid=20278614#readmoremodal1

Thanks!

The grey in the foreground is our kitchen island.

Comments (85)

• PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 years ago
    Sorry I got a chuckle from the first picture. too small ... Unless you add more furniture . space looks too open. everything looks small. Also, I feel the furniture choice doesn't glorify the room. I suggest to not rush your furnishings, pick pieces that could be used over a lifetime potentially...and swap accessories. GL
    mnmamax3 thanked Tare It Up!!!
  • mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good advice - I definitely want furniture I can use long term. Not sure what you mean by glorifying though. How can something glorify and be a solid foundation piece at the same time? I wouldn't say I'm in a rush. In one month, I've added a chair and half a table. :)

• PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 years ago

Hi mnmmax3, I'm sorry if my message was a bit strong. It was very late in the middle of the night when I wrote my response and I was half awake. My sincere apologies. What I was meaning to suggest is, pick furniture that you feel brings the best out in the room or in your own mood. I personally feel that the best way to shop for a room is with your own feelings in mind. Think about what makes you happy, any colors, general ideas. Sometimes, when I'm simply out shopping I get excited and when those times happen, I always take note of the pieces in the room and a lot of times I take pictures randomly. People probably think I'm a maniac when I'm shopping. However, I later go back and try to bring some of those pieces or the similar into my home whenever I am redecorating. It's great that you are not in a rush. When I bought my house, I was anxious initially to fill it up and I guess I assumed that you might be too. However, it took me years to get it even close to ideal but every time someone comes inside and says wow your home is so beautiful, I know that they feel the same vibe that I do when I walk in, they feel the joy that I feel, the warmth, comfort and, welcoming feel of being at home. I hope you can bring this into your home as well. Further, the furniture may not be too small but, it definitely looks like something is missing and perhaps that is why you are getting the feeling that it might be too small. As you are shopping, keep my recommendation in mind. This place is about you, not us. GL!

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No worries - I just try to take all this advice to heart and wanted to be sure I understood your meaning. These chairs immediately had my attention! I love the wood arms and the overall look. I shop at a little local warehouse place that has more interesting/modern pieces than our big box stores, but they don't always have a put-together space. That is the part I struggle with... the putting together piece. I know what I like and what I don't (though it will evolve as people suggest things I hadn't thought of). I do not have a good sense of scale or balance when it comes to decorating, despite hundreds of inspiration pictures and "research". I get the concepts and can apply them in my garden, where I have a very pleasing balance of colors and textures and heights, but for some reason it does not translate to inside. That's why I appreciate the talents and suggestions of all the folks here on houzz.

• sonni1
    6 years ago

You have a good sense of style -looks as if you're doing mid century modern. It's lovely. Stick to pieces in that style and it will work out. Don't add too much - modern is uncluttered and open.

mnmamax3 thanked sonni1
  • PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 years ago
    agree with Sonni if your intent is modern or minimalist, then sure don't add too much but I would suggest a rug. again, good luck.
  • oliviag55
    6 years ago
    the lines of the chair are lovely. Glad you are getting a matching one.
    I love your floor, by the way. looking forward to seeing a photo of the completed form place.
    The rug would be a nice place to introduce another color, perhaps, in combination with your grays.
    mnmamax3 thanked oliviag55
  • Joe
    6 years ago

I wouldn't paint the new side table or choose a top for it until you decide on a rug. It may point the finish in a different direction. It's got a West Elm vibe and perfect for your room!

mnmamax3 thanked Joe
  • mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good point, Joe. I am all over the place with the rug... I'm thinking at this point of doing the fluffy cream flokati type despite the fact it seems so overdone, because it will give some contrast to the fireplace which will have the concrete look.

• oliviag55
    6 years ago
    Personally, I would likely wait until the fireplace is complete before buying a lot of other items. The rug from the basement is pretty, not maybe your color palette right now, but bring it up, use it awhile, and see how you feel about a little color and pattern. I think it will work with your beautiful floor, and neutral pallette for the time being.
    A lot of people are mixing mid mod style furniture and Oriental rugs. just see how the concept feels.
    mnmamax3 thanked oliviag55
  • Joe
    6 years ago

There's got to be a perfect rug out there for you! We just need to keep posting until some of the designers chime in. Or start a rug dilemma post. :-)

What's the plan for the stairs? Are you going to leave them carpeted? Maybe a coordinated bound broadloom? Do the flokati rugs come in rectangles? I don't know much about them. My OCD would have me on hands and knees brushing it in one direction relentlessly, I could never consider one. LOL

mnmamax3 thanked Joe
  • mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Olivia, it probably makes sense to finish the fireplace first. My oriental doesn't really work downstairs either but I it was something we bought for our anniversary almost 20 years ago. I don't know if I'm sentimental about it exactly but I somehow feel like it needs to stay with us but probably not on the main level.

Joe: There was never a very good plan in place. This all started with "we need to refinish the hardwood floor"... and kind of snowballed from there. The carpet will be replaced (probably carpet again) and the tile in the mud room/bath/closet too and we are on the schedule to get the rest of our stained trim painted.

This is my before...

My furniture guy said he wouldn't recommend a flokati type rug larger than 5x7. I asked why and threw up a little in my mouth when he pulled up the sample rug to show me all the dust and stuff stuck in it. Said bigger than 5x7 and they are too heavy to shake out. I forgot about that - so maybe no flokati. :) I have a weird aversion to rugs where I can see the binding, so I end up looking at expensive wools.

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Finally have the fireplace done. Turned out great and I'm really happy! At the moment we are planning on a skyline steel in the nook area next to the fireplace, with a darker elephant ear in the rest of the open area (both will have more of the brown tone missing in the current 50 shades of grey on my walls). What color should the media console be? Looking for something low. Our trim is decidedly cream (feather down) so not really feeling bright white which makes the trim look dingy.

Is there any way I can keep our old blinds that matched the original natural Brazilian cherry? Thanks!

• Joe
    6 years ago

The fireplaces looks great -- perfect for your room! I'm going to go back to my original thought on the side table .... any headway on finding a rug as that may help with the color for the side table and the media console.

I can't really offer any paint advice, I'm terrible with color but I understand completely. My trim is SW Snowbound and it's not really white, it just look white in the absence of white. Could have fooled me when I picked it out, it was in the white paint section! LOL

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Joe. I did a consult at West Elm in an attempt to make some forward progress. She suggested rug is last as there are so many options out there for rugs. Better to choose the main pieces first.

• Joe
    6 years ago

It's a six or half dozen thing. Many designers here say you should start with the rug but I imagine it's done differently all the time depending upon what gives inspiration first. If you want to hold off on the rug then I'd grab a plank of flooring, equally long piece of painted baseboard and a white board painted in your wall color and go shopping for a console! You may get some looks but you'll narrow colors down quickly enough.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

You can search for a rug at this point, because you have two main pieces and they are both plain. So, pretty open field for a rug. Are you looking for a monochromatic overall look? Grays and beiges? Are you open for some color? As for tone of console, that will depend largely on the size and your budget basically. Common woods are less expensive and readily available and more interesting woods are more expensive and less available. Since you have a mid-century vibe with the sofa and chair you might want to explore lighter woods. You can mix woods. Might be able to find a bargain on Craig's list or some other such listing. Or shop around in resale shops. Need measurement of the space where you want the TV. Just don't mount it on the wall.

mnmamax3 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Natural Hide Cowhide Silver Area Rug, 5'x8' · More Info
    this is an interesting hide rug with grays and beiges. Not sure what size you need. Probably 8 x 10?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Bashian Duncan Area Rug, Ivory/Gray, 8'x11' · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Dunes Light Blue Rug, 7'6"x9'6" · More Info
    Some color.

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OMG, you should see me going shopping... I have all my color chips and pictures and sample chunks. I'm obnoxious! I loved the IKEA stools BUT there were little visible bumps where the seat meets the legs. They told me to just hang tight and see if they would disappear once the leather broke in, but I returned them. I wish I could find something similar, because they were otherwise the perfect shade of orange and great style. Our local chair place orders some out of Canada but not orange. Online everything else is so bright.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Pillow idea? if muted colors could guide/ inspire -- letting your blinds be ok...

Mina Victory Natural Leather Hide Floral Patchwork Violet Throw Pillow, 20"x20" · More Info

Mina Victory Natural Leather Hide Floral Patchwork Violet Throw Pillow · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/mina-victory-natural-leather-hide-floral-patchwork-violet-throw-pillow-prvw-vr~62721987[(https://www.houzz.com/products/mina-victory-natural-leather-hide-floral-patchwork-violet-throw-pillow-prvw-vr~62721987)

mnmamax3 thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

West Elm has a TV console with wood and black that has a mid-century vibe. It is fairly wide though. How much room do you have for the console?

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Flo. I do love color. I just picked up this pillow from West Elm. I don't know why it looks so Grandma-ish in the picture, it's really fun and funky in person. And we just painted the dining room Riverway. I want a rug to be comfy as my kids like to camp out by the fire. I have found those hide rugs to have noticeable seams. I received comments that the rug I had before was too busy so I am fine with something very subtle. I do love the 8x11 size of that Duncan rug, 8x10 seemed a little tight when I had that in here. The pattern is okay too but I am afraid it is too blue-toned.

• mnmamax3 thanked everdebz
  • mnmamax3 thanked everdebz
  • mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Everdebz, thanks for the ideas. I am not generally a fan of brown except in woods. Not sure why... I like your thought of pulling in the blind color though. Thanks.

Flo - the space is about 84". Husband is looking for something fairly low to put the TV on. The Modernist looked okay but I like the ones at Room and Board better. We live in MN so we can hit the weekend "outlet" store there and get a pretty decent deal.

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love, love that lamp!!

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought this one was beautiful (Moro) but I was afraid it was too much linear next to the slatted-look of the fireplace.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

that is great piece and repeating the linear is a good thing. Only problem, if you need remote with infrared, it won't go through the wood. So that door would probably have to be open. Room and Board has great quality pieces. I'll take a look there. I was hoping the sofa was purple!! haha! Love purple with oranges! But maybe we could find a purple rug! I love that pillow because it is different and funky to me.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Check out the Hudson Media Cabinet with Steel Base on room and board website in the Walnut. this would work with your flooring beautifully I believe.

72w x 16d x 24 High Walnut finish · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Dalyn Dover DV10VI Rug, Viola, 10' Square · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Lumbar Kandinsky Ivory Decorative Pillow Cover Rectangle Art Silk, 13x21" · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Iris Lehnhardt "Orange Purple" Paint Throw Pillow, 16"x16" · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Serenade Decorative Pillow, Purple-Orange, Down Filler Square 20" · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here is little mock up using purples and oranges in small accents. I put the Room and Board console in for your visualization. I pasted carpet in dark tone on tone eggplant and a clear acrylic coffee table. I also put some decorative mirrored wall hangings above TV. ENJOY!
  • mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Flo - that is super helpful to see how this can look with some more work. I really had not even considered purple. My phone (and probably the lighting) makes the couch come out purple every time despite it being a true brown grey tweed. This combination is kind of cool but would not work with my new pillow, right? Honestly I am scared to commit to a color for something big like the rug. I can change out accessories all day long and I want to be able to bring in colors in all the adjacent rooms. Thanks for putting something above the TV. I wasn't sure what to put there. If I leave the chairs against the window, can I add something closer to the fireplace for additional seating? I found this at the room and board weekend outlet too. I have to read my specs for how close stuff can be to the fireplace...

• mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There were a couple of units at the outlet with skinny mitered edges like that that frankly looked flimsy. I will drop by there again today to see what they have this week. I do like that the grain of the wood is going the same way on those.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I don’t think you have enough room for a piece that large in front of fireplace. A couple of cubes might work. Funny, you can’t commit to a solid dark plum rug but you can to several orange bar stools. But that’s ok. But you probably will need some pattern in your rug. Just getting a visual helps. You can then better see what you would like. Be a little bold though. The pillows you have i must admit I didn’t think were staying. Sorry. I will try some other rug later
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Did you decide on the chair - is height much lower than sofa? or not at all lower....

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Just read this: couch is a true brown-grey tweed.... if keeping it, what color is the chair again? sorry....

• everdebz
    6 years ago

seems with toasty - beige fp... you're leaning toward warms... NOT browns!

• everdebz
    6 years ago

maybe sofa goes purple-y cause floor is nice and warmy chestnut...seems real wood with touch of green - this rug and does it blend with squash-orange chairs?

Cool Abstraction Multi Rug, 5'x8' · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/cool-abstraction-multi-rug-5x8-prvw-vr~54718248

• kaye1951
    6 years ago

Following

mnmamax3 thanked kaye1951
  • mnmamax3
    Original Author
    6 years ago

everdebz... I have the two chairs with a tweedy grey pattern. They are slightly shorter than the couch and with the open arms seems way too small at first, but have grown on me and I think are just fine. I am waiting until I get the rug and additional pieces before I decide if I have room for another chair. That rug has some nice colors. I am looking for something 8x11 if possible. I will look some more tomorrow... Thanks!

• everdebz
    6 years ago

good 'luck'... :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here is a rug you might like. It is from Pottery Barn and is 100% wool. Beautiful rug and the gray color would look great. Then your accessories and coffee table would bring more color. It is a tone on tone and has a great diamond shape pattern.
  • mnmamax3
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ok. Been awhile and I'm making progress. Sorry, we're painting and repairing walls so ignore the stuff around. New nubby rug and a great coffee table.

We are planning on ordering the 80" media console from West Elm.

For now we've been doing the chair in front of the fireplace but I think it needs to be farther away if we actually have the fireplace on. If they are together by the window, do I need something on the opposite side or do I just move everything farther onto the rug?

Did the SW color consult and planned on skyline steel in the entry, office nook and LR nook, with elephant ear everywhere else. Skyline came out horribly yellow up next to the fireplace (the picture is the second color we tried - Stormy Weather from Ace - that also doesn't seem to work). I would love to skip the grey altogether but it's all open and I don't know where to stop as it extends up and down the stairs...

I love this new art piece and would love to put a color accent behind it, but that would mean a plain color for the entryway. The bench I bought is too blue-grey but I cannot return. The office adjacent to the entryway is a deep orange-red color. Will the stupid bench look okay against grey once I get some art up?

We are planning on a pretty aqua/mint for the backsplash - you can just see my samples on the far right middle. I think it will look nice with the orange, and keeping the dining room the river way or something similar (maybe needlepoint navy).

What should I paint the rest of the walls? One grey all around? Grey with lighter accents? Colors everywhere?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH