Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryan1260

help ... I️ need somebody ... help

bryan1260
6 years ago
We are having a really hard time with our living room. The only thing we have to keep is the giant coffee table. Other than that, so we do an L shape couch, or smaller couch with accent chairs. Curtains or blinds? Recessed lights or lamps? Side tables or not? Our goal is to have a comfortable inviting space where we can spend a good amount of time. We are a family of 5. Thanks in advance not just anybody.

Comments (15)

• silviakunst
    6 years ago
    If you could show more photos from different angles ..that could help . Also , could the couch fit on the other wall ? How big is the room ..and how many doorways does it have ?? Show more and the dimensions of the couch and all walls ...
  • ilikefriday
    6 years ago

That coffee table is fab. Love the design. Also love the sofa. But...... the elephant in the room is the table. I guess you could keep it and expand the size of the room and things would look great. Otherwise no matter what the sofa configuration in that room the coffee table will still be the problem.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I agree the coffee table is just too big for the spce and we do not really have enough info to really be of help. Do you want a T.V. in the space some more pics showing the whole space some dimnesions.

• bryan1260
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I️ will add some more pics and dimensions when I️ get home. Thank you!
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Try to play with sofa, move it to the left corner with windows (the same way) and make coffee table length wise ( turn it on 90 degrees), so you can add couple or one chair facing sofa.

Some kind of ...with or without side tables.

• Chantal M
    6 years ago
    Question: Will this be a formal living room, or an everyday family room?
  • acm
    6 years ago

I suspect that the room is small enough that you shouldn't do a couch with a chaise like this -- just a regular couch + a couple of chairs will leave space for an end table and normal-scale coffee table. Sectionals are too limiting for the rest of the room.

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    Give us a drawing with measurements of everything: walls, doorways, openings to other rooms, locations and size of windows.
    The table is too large for that room no matter where you put it. It looks large enough to hold a twin-size mattress with room to spare....does one of your children need a new box spring?
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

If you're keeping the coffee table for sentimental reasons, would you be willing to consider a revision? You could add longer legs if some sort and have a unique dining or kitchen table that will easily fit your family. Or put it on a base of cabinets for a kitchen island.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Was just going to suggest what lindsey said - re-purpose the coffee table!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

No recessed lighting in living/family rooms! Too much glare from down lights. Use floor lamps or table lamps.

• bryan1260
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Different angles. Room is 18’ x 13’
    Thanks so much in advance for all the advice until now and future advice. The wheels are turning .... screeching but turning.
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago

I ADORE that dutch door - the color is awesome! Is there going to be a Tv on the cabinet? I think some fun ottomans in place of the table and a leaning bookshelf or tall etagere next to the window by the door. Nothing too imposing but a useful way to get a little extra storage.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Assuming you're firmly committed to keeping the coffee table and using it for this purpose, this would be my approach:

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-family-room-contemporary-family-room-new-york-phvw-vp~7471144[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-family-room-contemporary-family-room-new-york-phvw-vp~7471144)

A large sectional that spans the back wall, with one leg that fits the left side of the arch wall and the other under the window. A shelf on each end for lamps and a chair across the room, by the tv. Go for a chair with open framework but tall back so it has a presence. It's the only thing that seems proportional to the coffee table.

The tv console is cute but so badly out of proportion with the coffee table that I'd ditch the console and build the tv into a shelving system.

Love your shoes.