Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navreetbassi

What will balance this painting ?

navreetbassi
6 years ago
Need help to finish decorating this room. I am thinking of bronze metal sculpture above mantel, but then how about wall space by doorway. I need side tables, how many and where to place them, by the couches or between chairs?

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    6 years ago

I would do one side table in between the chairs. I would place the sculpture on the left side of the mantel and have that be the largest item on the mantel. Maybe add a couple smaller items as needed. I don't think I would place anything on the wall by the door.

• Jane
    6 years ago

A plant or tall vase with botannicals would be nice by the doorway.

I love the idea of a bronze twiggy sculpture above the fireplace like this which would echo the lines in the painting:

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/twiggy-metal-wall-candle-holder/s422646?st=Twiggy%20Metal%20Wall%20Candle%20Holder

• mramsey
    6 years ago

IMO the painting is too large for it's current location ( it also looks like it is hung sideways) I would find another place for it and hang another painting over the fireplace. Try out either a mirror or smaller painting in that spot and see how it looks. Also, the colour of the current painting feels a little too matched to the chairs and cushions. As mentioned above, you need some side tables as well.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

agree with the other posters......need side table in between the accent chairs. See pic below...use this pic for placement...not style.

Idea # 2

Look at these types of sconces where the light is from the top and the bottom. That look will enhance your fireplace design and still give you symmetry.

• Rina
    6 years ago

I think the painting is too big for above the fireplace, but something rectangular (or perhaps circular) has to be there. The design is begging for it. A mirror? then balance the visual weight of the painting with, perhaps, a dark turquoise bowl and dark cushion to the left. Not the finished look, I know, but maybe useful?

• navreetbassi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    H
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    6 years ago

Wallpaper or paint the back wall so that the entire wall becomes the focus and the painting is an accent on the wall.

• Rina
    6 years ago
  • navreetbassi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for all the inputs. So Just one side table between the chairs or can I have two more by both the couches along the fireplace ?
    Interesting table lamp in between the chairs or it will obstruct the flow of the layout ?
    Or two lamps by the couches ?
    Rina how you placed mirror and vase on the picture ? That’s amazing, definitely will help me to play with design.
  • PRO
    Lichelle Silvestry Interiors
    6 years ago

Yes, one side table enough. The lamp may be too much. I agree that the painting seems big for the space. I prefer the idea of balancing the fireplace with a pair of sconces.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Yes something sculpture-y or masks.

And, a round bronze framed mirror over the fireplace.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I would move the painting to the wall behind the couch on the right and find something wonderful to hang above the fireplace. Right now, the painting is fighting with the fireplace as the focal point on that wall.

Then a tall (and not too skinny) spectacular lamp on one side of the console table with a smaller painting or piece of art above the table to balance the lamp.

Very pretty room!

• jjam
    6 years ago

I have a similar setup in my FR, and a round mirror over the FP did the trick.

• Rina
    6 years ago

Navreetbassi, good morning from here. use Microsft Paint to do mock-ups. There are a variety of software packages you can use.

I don't think a vase would work well on a table betwen the chairs, but if it were me I would get the right table and then try putting on it something I already have, a lamp or something lamp-sized, and see whether it feels right. If it doesn't, a pretty bowl would be nice. You could fill it with snacks when you have guests. Not sure about more side tables on the fireplace side as I can't quite judge the space there.

You do need to do something with the coffee table, though. Something like the tray Jjam has on the ottoman in her pic.

Jjam, your room is beautiful!

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Pull the sofas closer to the coffee table - 18" away is the maximum distance for it to be useful. Rectangular table between the chairs unless you want to angle them; then use a round table. The art is too big for the wall and the mantel. Do you have a dining room or foyer where it could shine?

• PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    6 years ago

Your focal point is your fire place. I would concentrate on an oil painting there first and then see what is needed if anything!

• Donald
    6 years ago
    How about a gold drinks table between the chairs
  • Maria Privat
    6 years ago

Paint the wall where the fireplace is in your preferred (teal) blue. Then hang up above the fireplace the sculpture justerrilynn shows in her second picture, but horizontal instead of vertical and maybe slightly off. Ditch the Buddha. Hang up your favorite life motto on the blue wall above the side table.

If you are not going to paint the wall blue: get rid of the blue chairs. Maybe get rid of them anyway, for they block the way and scream focal point while seen from the back (not so nice...)

Add something of the red, you already have everywhere else. Am not fond of the pale yellow pillows. Place a tray with several kinds of (blue) candles on the coffee table.

• navreetbassi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Rina for Microsoft paint clue. Will try it. I should have mentioned in my post, Kids Friendly. I know my coffee table cry for some accessories, but with 4 and 6 yr olds, I keep spaces between couch and table clear enough to run around. Maybe another year or two. The painting in real is not big, with open plan and high vaulted ceiling, picture is not doing justice, because everyone visited has praised it.
  • Rina
    6 years ago

I like the size of the painting for the space. Art doesn't always need much extra space around it, everything depends on the total effect in the room. And if you like the sculpture Justerrilynn posted, it's a great match for the room. Not matchy, just works with everything.

• navreetbassi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Justerrilynn can you please post the source of the sculpture you suggested above ? Thanks Rina for understanding the feel of the painting.
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Sorry Navree, I can't remember. I think I did a basic google search using "teal wall sculpture" or something like that and looked using images. Sorry : ( It's very beautiful!

• lynartist
    6 years ago
    I think the painting looks great! Please excuse the very crude sketch! Limited options so use your imagination!
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    Oops! Forgot the lamp;)
  • User
    6 years ago

Don't mind your painting, I just think it's hung too high. Right now your art is hung equal distance between console and ceiling and is throwing things off IMO

Thinking, if possible, top of painting s/b at about the same level ad top of doorway on other side.

It would help the symmetry issue

I would stack 3 pieces of art on left side of fireplace to bal larger

A round mirror above mantel would add interest

A ceramic Chinese garden stool could be used between chairs - in a pinch it also becomes another seat

• User
    6 years ago

My first thought for the left side was plates. Two stacked or even starting about the doorway and wrapping down around that side. I'd pick ones with the same colors in the room.

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I don't think the painting is too large for the wall space, but it is competing with the fireplace and neither is benefitting. The teal color on the wall helps, but it still isn't great. Adding more stuff helps balance the wall, but it takes away from the painting. To me, that image is an active figure that demands attention regardless of the direction you hang it. I think it should be the star on the wall -- either hung horizontally above the mantel or in either direction on the wall to the right behind the sofa.