Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammysk

A tale of two tiles (for my kitchen) — help!

tammysk
10 years ago
I realize it's not life or death, but I'm about to lose my mind (what's left of it) trying to decide on a backsplash in my kitchen. (OK, my husband does all the cooking — but I like to look at it!) We love our new quartz countertops — but now I can't decide on a backsplash. The khaki-colored subway tile (Eucalyptus is the color), or silver tumbled stone (just the 3-by-6 tiles). The cabinets stay — but should I paint them if I go with Eucalyptus? Or, keep looking for another backsplash? Thanks for any suggestions!!

Comments (49)

• Roxanne
    10 years ago
    hands down eucalyptus
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    The Eucalyptus looks much better to me and I am not even a subway tile person :) the other is nice but it's too much pattern and you might regret having that much busy busy in your kitchen. With the khaki tile, you can easily have undercabinet lighting that will make your kitchen warm and inviting, and you will be able to have things on your countertop that won't clash :)
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's what I was leaning toward — but what about my cabinets? I was going to do new pulls — but should I leave the wood the way it is? Thanks!
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I think the eucalyptus glossy subway tile is a better blend with your counters than the tumbled stone.
  • Diana Beeler
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Definitely subway tile. Would it make you lose more of what's left of your mind [hee hee we can all relate to that regarding design options] if you looked at a shade or two lighter?? I think it might just be worth it. Leave the wood as is and maybe some polished silver /pewter pulls? Good Luck!
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ha! I started with a lighter color, and got to this in stages! We had hunter green laminate for 12 years, so we are so used to dark! Heck, the awful Sheetrock is starting to look good! :)
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You all are wonderful! Thank you so much! My decorator friend has the nerve to be remodeling a new house and can't help me as much as she usually does!
  • Diana Beeler
    10 years ago
    I am going to try to send you a picture of my subway tile and see what you think. It is sooo hard to choose tile because unlike paint it is..well permanent!
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We started with a lighter gray subway tile sample, but nothing else in my kitchen is gray. My floors are creamy, and the wall color is Wool Skein by Sherwin Williams. I have red/cream ikat-fabric Roman shades, which I love.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    In your situation it usually works best if you choose a tile that picks up a background color in your quartz, so only go lighter if there are lighter flecks in there. One of the reasons that the tumbled stone doesn't look as good is because it doesn't seem to echo any of the colors in your quartz. It is a busy enough pattern that you don't want to introduce an entirely new pattern or color on the backsplash to compete.
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I agree, feeny! That's something my husband and I kept saying — we don't want anything too busy. Thanks!
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 years ago
    Love the eucalyptus tile, so classy and elegant. I wouldn't change the wood cabinets but you can be open to that change down the road if you want to. Always adoption when you need another change
  • PRO
    Studio Revolution
    10 years ago
    Solid subway tile. It creates a great contrast between the speckled quartz countertop. The tumbled stone might get too busy.
  • sharon3986
    10 years ago
    Another vote for subway tile!
  • PRO
    Designed Finishes LLC
    10 years ago
    Definitely the subway tile which appears to be really close to your wall color of wool skein. If you are working in stages, and economy, the cabinets would look great painted a really dark brown (gloss). The only drawback is the grain in the cabinets might be visible but it would add interest and new pulls.
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ah, I am feeling so much better about this decision! Thank you, thank you! Now, my husband and I (he's 53; I'm 49) are off to have a home-cooked Italian dinner with our wonderful, fun friends (she's 80; he's 95!).
  • Diana Beeler
    10 years ago
    Well when you are all finished post pictures for sure!
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I will! I think I may have a before photo with the green laminate, too!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I think the subway tile is great with the granite but fights a little with the cabinet color. I'd be curious to see a picture with a sample of ivory subway tile.
  • PURE Art and Design
    10 years ago
    I would just like to say that I think you should choose a subway tile that looks good with both the countertop and the cupboards because both are good on their own and the right tile would tie it all together. The eucalyptus I perceive to be too dark and too matchy matchy. Look at the kitchen as a whole by standing back and holding up samples in your range of view and assess color and style based on what is going on in the whole room.
  • Roxanne
    10 years ago
    Good idea-post more pictures of the whole room
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm posting a couple of other photos, but be gentle with me! I'm not a decorator (although I think my computer room is cool — I started with a chevron rug I saw on Houzz, but I digress!) My kitchen table is not what I want forever, and I still need some artwork for one wall. :)
  • jeffro64
    10 years ago
    I like the subway tile.
  • danilc
    10 years ago
    The silver tumbled stone would look awesome. Gives it a different texture instead of the glossiness of the subway tile :)
  • wstdspace
    10 years ago
    Hi tammysk it took me two years to find the glass tiles that I finally went with. Finding a backsplash is not an easy task! My cupboards and countertop are similar to yours so I am going to include a picture of mine. Don't mind the flipflops I was selling. :) i loved the crushed glass and it comes in so many beautiful colors!
  • PURE Art and Design
    10 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful! I'm sure you have done your research and decided on these two tiles as possibilities so I won't confuse you by suggesting something different... I agree that the stone suits your style better than the subway, very interesting and adds layers of texture.
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I had someone do the Roman shades not long ago, and my husband replaced a ceiling fan with that light. I did a ton of research on countertops, so I knew going in I wanted quartz — the backsplash, not so much. I thought I wanted subway tiles, but finding a match is the problem. I love the crushed-glass backsplash in wstdspace's photo! (The countertops actually look a lot like mine, which are Cambria Williston.) Although I'm usually type A and want everything done immediately, I'm OK with waiting to get the best-looking backsplash.
  • dducky88
    10 years ago
    my perferences always lean toward stone and wood but I think in your case the subway tile is the better choice. have you ever played with the computer programs that let you take a picture of your room, products and allow you to see what each looks like by melding it into one product? ie you could see your kitchen with each backsplash with or without painted cabinets.
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No, I haven't, dducky, but that's a great idea! My husband was amazed that I was able to get on this discussion and attach photos. :) Thanks!
  • Cait McG
    10 years ago
    @dducky88: That program sounds amazing.... I could really use it. What is it called?
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wstdspace — I want details on your backsplash! I really do love it — color, company? (Love the flip-flops, too – we have similar tastes. :))
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    I do not like subway tile at all but the one you chose is gorgeous! It gives off such a warm comfy feeling against wood. I think it will make your kitchen stunning. Pewter knobs sounds good. I once had a high end designer tell me when I told him I didn't like green (it was hunter green that was in at the time) that it is like the green from outdoors bringing it into the house. Great choice! I like your kitchen chairs. New seat covers would pull the room together. Nice house!
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Aww, thank you so much, bevballew! I read your comments out loud to my husband, and he said, "Oh, let's not start something else!" meaning the seat covers. He was joking.
  • lvstotrvl
    10 years ago
    I think the crushed glass is beautiful, everyone seems to be using subway tile. I'm not a fan of subway tile but I do like what you picked out. Good luck with whatever you pick. Love your Roman shades!
  • esciuto
    10 years ago
    I think the subway tile will not provide enough depth to the kitchen. With the cabinets being a shade of brown and the subway tile being brown it may look pretty flat and monotone. I think the tumbled stone is really pretty and not too busy and will give your kitchen a little depth and interest. I realize my opinion is opposite of almost everyone else, sorry!
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh. Tell him seat covers are cheap. He can just unscrew the cover and add the new fabric and screw the seat back on! Noticed how I said "he" can do it. Haha! Tell him he doesn't have to do it today but can do it next weekend!! I am type A in decorating also!!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Nice house! I'd still like to see ivory subway tile, especially now that I see the floor. Here is a helpful backsplash article from a previous similar discussion.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Oops, still trying to get the article to post.
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I am going to bring home an ivory subway tile sample, thanks to you. :) I am the queen of bringing home samples!
  • schurer
    10 years ago
    the simple, plain subway. no border.
  • PRO
    Rocky Point Tile
    10 years ago
    I like the subway tile, but I might be a little biased. I think there's a lot going in your counter already. The other one might clash a bit.
  • PRO
    Murals and More Decor
    10 years ago
    I think you are on the right track with the Eucalyptus tile. It presents a clean look and does not compete with your counter top and cabinets. I, personally, have grown tired of subway tiles for kitchen backsplashes and would suggest exploring other similar looking tiles. Also, I noticed that your husband recently installed the lighting. Is it fluorescent? Probably lights up your space, but stylistically does not enhance the room.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Murals and More - I'm guessing it was the dining room light that was recently installed.
  • PRO
    Murals and More Decor
    10 years ago
    Ann. Sorry - my oops. Thought you were referring to the ceiling fan being in the kkitchen. Your fixture in the dining area is much better than a ceiling fan. Any plans for the ceiling light in the kitchen.
  • Diana Beeler
    10 years ago
    Just checked in today-btw I LOVE the shades and the light fixture!! Seeing both of those pictures changes my mind a bit-while I was suggesting a lighter subway tile I can see how the color choice you made makes sense!!
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey, guys! I was away from home for a while. Thanks, debeeler! Yes, the light over the kitchen table is fairly new. My husband and I have updated our home as we could afford it — we got hardwood floors, which I love, new tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms, etc. It's kind of funny — I won a $500 decorating giveaway at an event here in town. It included five gallons of free paint, $100 worth of fabric from a great, local fabric store and a few hours of consultation. Long story short (for me, anyway), the decorator was nice but not that helpful. BUT, I got fabric for the Roman shades, and the labor, for free (they're nonworking), paint for most of my house, and it inspired me. Oh, and the fluorescent light is original and ugly, I know. :) Thanks to everyone for the great advice! Where have y'all been all my life? :)
  • tammysk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, Ann! That's so funny — I actually came across the article the other day that you posted for me! It's a great one. Thank you!