Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggs3705

Please help me jazz up my kitchen!

maggie currier
6 years ago
Kitchen is fairly new- we recently bought the house and although I don't love the granite and backsplash, I can't change it right now. what I can do is paint and add some color, but am having trouble since all is so neutral. I just took down the white mini blind. I have been thinking about painting walls in Sherwin Williams hot spring stones to warm it up. (last photo is a paint swatch) And how about wicker or bamboo type blinds and a black frame clock? is that still boring? suggestions? Would love some input!

Comments (19)

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Changing out that ceiling fan would be a good start.

• maggie currier
    Original Author
    6 years ago

that's helpful, thank you.

• maggie currier
    Original Author
    6 years ago

what would you suggest? Something darker?

• loonar29
    6 years ago

Maggie, I'm not one who can offer advice, but maybe if you don't get the help you need here, try posting over in Home Decorating....there seem to be many color experts over there who will be able to help you.

• maggie currier
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much!

• PRO
    DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Beaverton
    6 years ago

I think the coloring is fine. I'd go with a few pops of color throughout the kitchen. A large red vase, or fabric framed in a bright blue frame, things like this. It will give just a hint of the loud, without overly committing to a brighter scheme. Stay away from anything neutral if you want your kitchen to pop. Not sure how the paint would bring it out anymore, and I think the bamboo blinds would only pull in the muted coloring more. You may even look into painting one wall, just an accent wall, in a grayish blue. Hope that helps.

• maggie currier
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't have much wall space to hang artwork or frames. But maybe I'll add a colorful roman shade and clock. Thanks for your suggestions...

• sumac
    6 years ago

yes to colorful roman shade!

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

How high are your ceilings? Big ceiling fans seem to visually lower the ceiling because of the mass, but it may be a climate thing...is a ceiling fan a necessity in the kitchen? I would rather see a light fixture or LED cans if you want to splurge, but if you need a fan, try to find something much more streamlined and with a smaller scale. You might consider a color pop with some artwork instead of the clock.

• zorroslw1
    6 years ago

Don't forget the window, add a colorful valance or a half window balloon curtain that will tie into whatever color you decide as an accent, use a pattern in the curtain, nothing plain. That will jazz it up quite a bit.

maggie currier thanked zorroslw1
  • maggie currier
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    whats a good accent color?
  • maggie currier
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I've got blues and greens throughout the house.....yes?
  • rebunky
    6 years ago

I think I’d do a sage green Roman shade and then my favorite color (yours!) for the accents in towels, canisters, vase of flowers, colorful bowl for fruit, etc...

• maggie currier
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @rantontoo. My ceiling is only 8 ft. I do live in FLA...the fan is helpful but maybe a new light fixture is something to consider. this is why I love this forum...I never even looked at or considered the fan to be unpleasant to the eye...but I get it. any suggestions for light fixture? So consensus seems to be a colorful window treatment, and bright art work and accent pieces. It should be easy enough. Still have to choose my color though....
  • ghostlyvision
    6 years ago

How long is that counter overhang (over the trash can)? If it were my home I'd be looking for a narrow cabinet to put a trash pull out there, either in a nice wood stain or painted a pretty color to jazz things up a bit. I agree you need some color around the kitchen, maybe a larger more colorful clock, window valance, a crock for a few cooking utensils near the stove, a more colorful toaster too maybe.

• zorroslw1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

About accent color, I say, pick a favorite color of yours. Don't ask other people what color you should pick. It has to be something you like. I have read, " take a look, in your clothes closet. Whatever colors are dominant, that is what you will most likely want in your home. Of course, not blacks or Browns, but you get the idea.

And yes, do something about that awful overhuang, it's a real distraction from the rest of the kitchen. I can't not focus on it.

• jo_in_tx
    6 years ago

If at all possible, I would lose the knife block. It really sticks out in the photo. Since drawer space is at a premium, maybe you could consider some kind of magnetic knife holder on the wall. You could use the "clock" wall for something more colorful and decorative. Put only one or two plants in colorful pots on the windowsill.

Good luck!

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

How does the kitchen connect to the rest of the house? With so much beige, I would be inclined to paint the walls a COLOR, unless it messed with the color flow through the rest of the house.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz