Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Stairway lighting

ILoveRed
6 years ago

Are most of you using these lights? Or something similar...

my last house I used sconces which I think look better. but dh insists that we are too old to have so little light. What say you?

Comments (17)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I'm using two sconces and a ceiling fixture in the landing. Additionally I have a high hat right at the foot of the stairs. I'm hoping it will be enough.

ILoveRed thanked cpartist
  • User
    6 years ago

Your example is nice and practical but I love everything about sconces. I have one sconce going up the stairs and an overhead fixture on the landing. I could have gone crazy with sconces if I didn’t have to compromise with DH. Marriage!

ILoveRed thanked User
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    We love our LED step lights. We leave it on the dimmest setting all night. It lights up exactly what we want it to without a lot of harsh light.
    ILoveRed thanked simstress
  • txponygirl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's just the two of us and my master is downstairs. So that being said, I don't use them a whole lot. Had the master been upstairs, I definitely would use them by putting them on a timer. I do use them every time I have overnight guests, I leave them on all night. Gives the right amount of light exactly where it's needed without it lighting our entire entryway.

They are LED.

ILoveRed thanked txponygirl
  • lookintomyeyes83
    6 years ago

We did LED step lights and love them too! Great for when you want to see in the middle of the night and not get blinded.

ILoveRed thanked lookintomyeyes83
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Stairs are important, and potentially dangerous. Use task lighting. Once you have the stairs sufficiently illuminated, you can add any of the decorative and ambient lighting you want. Without the task lights, you risk major injury by someone in a hurry in the middle of the night.

ILoveRed thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Those of you who have stairlights, will you post a picture or a link up close of what you used...pretty please. Looking at them online I'm asking myself do I want white and unobtrusive or something that stands out a littlemore. Some are described as white LED, some as warm.

txponygirl..your stairway is pretty and I like how you positioned the lights high and used fewer than most.

i think I will definitely use stairlighting. I'm convinced it's probably a good idea for my house. I just have to find something I like. I do have two teenagers that tend to move a little too fast and small grandchildren that will visit often.

i like the idea of leaving them on with a dimmer as someone mentioned above.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Mark, this is Jumbo 747 Heavy on final for two-niner east...

• simstress
    6 years ago

The step lights are on a minimal setting in this photo. The foyer light is illuminating the lower half of the stairway. Kichler dimmable LED. I wanted lights that aimed downward.

ILoveRed thanked simstress
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    You can achieve adequate lighting with any type. It depends on the actual lighting, a particular sconce fitting may work, another may not.
    And on the topic of stairs and safety, have a sturdy rail and non-slip surface too
    ILoveRed thanked Najeebah
  • txponygirl
    6 years ago

Thank you ILoveRed. I don't know what model or brand they are as the electrician chose them. But I'll bet they weren't expensive.

They provide enough lighting without it looking like a runway. They are a warm white.

ILoveRed thanked txponygirl
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Well, I'm old and I think they're horrid! I have a good light at the top of the stairs and a good one at the bottom and have NO trouble seeing the stairs.

ILoveRed thanked Anglophilia
  • lookintomyeyes83
    6 years ago

I took a picture of ours for you. They are the same size as a switch receptacle (because that's what they fit into ;) ).

We did find they were a bit brighter with regular incandescent nightlight bulbs, but they are still good with the LED bulbs we put in instead. (Our stairwell is fairly 'closed concept' but I think they blend into the stair skirt wonderfully.

This was taken once the sun came up, so you cant see the full effect of the light. But I used them at 5am when I woke up with a sore throat!

ILoveRed thanked lookintomyeyes83
  • ILoveRed
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very nice guys. Beautiful stairways. Unique putting them in the skirt.

i have to admit, before this thread I felt like Anglophelia did about the stairlights....resisted them in our last build and knew I wasn't going to get away with it this time.

but these are actually attractive.

i will check the Kichler site today.

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

I was thinking of sconces (because I can reach them), but I like these close-to-the-step lights.

Do they come on automatically at dark or are they on a switch?

• simstress
    6 years ago

@Mrs Pete - My step lights are on a switch, but my electrician said he could add motion sensors and dusk-to-dawn sensors if desired.