Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collectorguru

Pick the Front Door Paint Color Please

Design2 girl
6 years ago

What color would you paint the new doors to be installed? They will be wood 6 light double doors. The railing will be painted black as it has faded to gray. Would you place black railing over the small stoop outside the white french doors on the right or leave as is? Since the door is uncovered and the home has a western exposure, I would like your opinion if an awning would be appropriate over the front door? I am concerned there may be too may competing elements for an awning, but it would be nice to have a covered entrance. Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Close up of the doors

Close up of the brick

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

just so you know, you void the warranty of those wood doors by not having them protected by an overhang. I found this out the hard way.

Curious as to why you're doing a wood exterior and painting them? is there no vinyl clad or fiberglass option to your type of door?

You could also stain the doors an Ebony and use a spar UV varnish on them.

If going w/paint, pick a color that goes w/that brick. Black, charcoal, gray, Cranberry, Maroon, Red, blue/black,,,

Design2 girl thanked Beth H. :
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

The closeup of the brick looks far different from the first photos. If it's accurate, charcoal or black could be nice...such as in Beth's last pic.

Design2 girl thanked chloebud
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I totally agree that the brick up close looks so different, chloebud! I was shocked to see such a burgundy color and this close up was taken on the side of the house with no sun shining on it. Burgundy would not be my first choice at all. I am thinking definitely black at this point.

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth H,

Oh dear, it needs a covered doorway soooo bad. The HOA of this neighborhood has a restriction that includes ALL windows and doors on the front of the homes must be in WOOD, if you can believe that. This home was built in 1999 in all brick exterior with wood doors/windows. Gah! You can imagine the maintenance. They have done metal clad trim wraps which has helped, but the door needs to be addressed immediately. I love the pics of the black front door. Would you go glossy or matte?

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

decoenthusiaste, thank you for your comments, I actually thought about moving the front door entry to those full size french doors, but hated to lose the foyer feel. I agree that it looks a bit odd to have doors that don't "go" anywhere, but I am thinking it is an alternative to windows in this application. The door hardware is also a bit distracting. I am going to be thinking about this. I really don't love a front patio idea, simply because the two entrances will almost be competing...and who sits on a patio in the front of the house? Hmmmm, still thinking.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

for outside w/a western exposure? glossy for sure. holds up much better against the elements. make sure you seal the wood first with either a shellac or another wood sealer before painting. when dry, give a fine sanding to knock down any raised grain, wipe clean, then use the darkest gray primer. when dry, another fine sanding, wipe clean, now your black enamel. the door will look like glass if you follow these steps. your door will also be better protected from the elements w/these steps, which means less touch up painting by you in the following years!

another thing,,,re-caulk the glass w/100% clear silicone. I had some lovely water leakage w/mine because the factory sealing isn't 100%. Blowing rain got in between the glass, dripped into the inside, and down to my wood floors. yeah,,,that's how I found out my warranty was void.

Design2 girl thanked Beth H. :
  • Deanne Longren
    6 years ago
    I also think a oil rub bronze color on the front door would look good. Pick up the copper look on the roof line over the bay window.
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth H! I was thinking the shellac/sealer would be the last coat, not the first, but I appreciate the input and will be passing that info to the painter. And, yes absolutely agree about re-caulking. This house was born in 1999 and needs some love. I have two other decisions to make here.

So, let's talk hardware on this door. If we do a black glossy door, what type of finish on the hardware. This is my son's home and he needs some direction, and he is rejecting polished brass on the inside bathroom fixtures and I'm not sure he would favor it at the front door either. Which brings me to the light fixture issue......

The exterior light above the door is fairly hideous and also needs an update. The exterior light above the side garage is a double black lantern style which I am fine with and the mailboxes in the neighborhood are also black iron style, so while I prefer sconces at the front door, there is just no room. What exterior front porch light would you suggest to coordinate with the front door hardware?

• PRO
    M&M Interiors
    6 years ago

I would paint it black or charcoal - but I admit painting a new wood door makes me sad

Design2 girl thanked M&M Interiors
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yes M&M Interiors, a beautiful solid stained mahogany door would be my preference, but alas the sellers have already ordered the replacement door and I am pretty sure that won't be in the budget. So, knowing that it will be very similar to what is existing tell me your thoughts about this type of exterior light fixture? Or what else would you find architecturally pleasing for this house since the light is above the door? Personally, I prefer sconces but there is not enough room.

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    The French doors are intended to act as windows. Treat them as such, but if you want to add a black railing, it will relate nicely to the front porch. The railing would also add a bit of security to keep children inside and burglars outside.
    Refresh the landscape with a bit of trimming and the addition of some spring bulbs or flowering shrubs.
    Design2 girl thanked felizlady
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes! felizlady...the french doors are to be intended for the windows and somehow, I really like it. I do find this house to have nice curb appeal and it is definitely growing on me. My husband was concerned about the narrow doors and the need to open both doors when entertaining or moving items in/out, etc.

With that thought in mind, has anyone ever used a Cremone bolt with a true french door as the entry door? If so, I would love to hear your experience and recommendation for that product as well. Here is the Baldwin version in polished brass, not sure my son will go for that look, but what do you think?

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I just know Cremone bolts are very expensive. I've looked into replacing broken ones on armoires, and they cost as much as the armoire! Maybe they're making a cheap decorative version now, but be sure it will do the job.

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

okay, decoenthusiaste, help me think of any kind of alternative..the doors are quite narrow and my husband thinks to welcome guests it will be necessary to open both of these narrow french doors, it is a 4' wide door with both of them open. It is so awkward to have to use the top/bottom slide bolts....I was thinking this Cremone bolt by Baldwin and yes, they do seem to be extremely pricey. Ugh.

Do you think a 4 foot single wide door would be a better, heavier, more secure option in this case?

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Avoid red because of the orange that’s in the red of the bricks.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

what orange?? jbtany,,,,you need to look at her closeup

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree, that brick is not orange at all, but honestly, it doesn't appear burgundy in real life either.