Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne613

Fireplace Bottom Molding Issue/Cut off too much on bottom - help!

suzanne613
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

While updating our fireplace, we decided to add some marble and in doing so, the contractor cut the trim on the bottom of our existing surround way too short. He then filled it with white caulking which is a total eyesore. Has anyone else faced this issue? Is there anything we can use to mask the mistake?

We just renovated our entire first floor and I love it with the exception of this, OUR FOCAL POINT! UGH...

The first pic is before I asked to please fix this. The next is the result. I am stunned this was the solution presented. I do not like it at all. Has anyone else faced this or know of a different option? I was thinking to add something, but I don't know what!

Please help.

thank you!

Comments (21)

• Mattman
    6 years ago
    You could cut higher and add a plinth block, or clean out caulk and shape with auto bondo.
  • Lynda
    6 years ago
    This issue happened with the trim in my laundry room. The carpenter cut a small piece of trim and glued it on the bottom. After it was caulked and painted, I couldn’t tell that it wasn’t one piece.
  • hatetoshop
    6 years ago

Continue the baseboard to cover it. Suggest you have it done by someone else. Good luck!

suzanne613 thanked hatetoshop
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The right solution is he repaces th piece but probably not going to happen the best is as Lynda stated it works if done right and good luck or run the 1/4 round there.

• suzanne613
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the suggestions. I'll followup on what goes in there next week.

• suzanne613
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@hatetoshop that looks absolutely beautiful! Maybe I'll see about running that moulding too. I love that! thank you.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i think cutting up a bit more and adding a plinth block is a good solution, and he can keep cutting them til he gets one that fits.

• User
    6 years ago

Wow! He actually walked away thinking job well done? Good solutions in comments above. Just shouldn’t of happened.

• suzanne613
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@idecor54, No thank goodness! - We had a few guys on the job and it was chaotic. I just spoke to him this morning, because last night they were rushing to leave. When I sent him the pictures he said oh I know, please this isn't good and right away said oh no, I"ll fix this. This isn't right. His stone worker was amazing with the flooring and fireplace stone, but not the person who should have done it.

This is the first time we are working with him, and he's been very good and actually fixes and points out things we didn't see, except for this. He wasn't focused on this last night. I would have had a cow if we paid him already and he left the job this way! lol I"m just looking for solutions to choose from. thanks!

• Fori
    6 years ago

Plinth block--which would end up kind of like hatestoshop's image. (I don't think you will be too successful with continuing the baseboard because of the bumpy front of the molding.)

• geoffrey_b
    6 years ago

That's a hack job - he should do it over.

• qam999
    6 years ago

I would recommend getting a very good finish/trim carpenter in there to propose a decent looking solution.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

I agree with the above, this is a wrap-around casing and all you need is 2 pieces to make it right. The tile guy screwed this up by cutting to high. All he had to do is use a scrap of tile, scribe it and cut a straight line like an example, especially today not many use saws anymore to make this cuts everyone has a multi-tool and to make this cuts is a breeze.

Ask your trim guy to replace it, not a big deal and it will take 10 min to make it right.

That being said, this is a fireplace and I assume this is a focal point in that room, I doubt you want to use Bondo or some other filler to patch the void, it will not look good.

suzanne613 thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • Mattman
    6 years ago
    I built this one with a plinth, from raw c2 maple ply, datto for led lights behind rails, sprayed furniture grade lacquer, triple bead shelves with glass inserts, sub frame for step granite , step tray ceiling, and removable bottom shelf for safe storage.
  • suzanne613
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These are all great solutions! Thanks @GN Builders L.L.C. I had a feeling there was something we could put on like that.

Wow absolutely gorgeous work @Mattman! The one problem is that the detail on the surround is beveled and is sort of a graduated raised effect, so not sure a straight edged would work here as @Fori described. Yours are really stunning!

Thanks everyone! He'll be here at 9 am and we'll see.

• rwiegand
    6 years ago

"I've trimmed this piece three times and it's still too short!"

Good suggestions above. Good luck with a better outcome.

• suzanne613
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    So happy with the fix. We tried a few things and this is where we landed.

We really did not want to rip out the entire mantle so just decided on extending the baseboard molding. No matter what else we tried to cover it with - because of the 3d beveled edging there was a noticeable gap.
    The simplest and most cost effective worked. (Yay! )
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciated your
    Suggestions.
    Suzanne
  • Vith
    6 years ago

Yup the toe trim looks good.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    6 years ago

The solution is worse than the problem was. The thicker part of the vertical molding is hanging out beyond the base cap. That's just wrong.

Casey

• Vith
    6 years ago

Oh I didnt see that, was focused on toe