Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

What are we reading in December?

Annie Deighnaugh
6 years ago

I'm about done with Deadly Wandering...a nonfiction book that is excellent. About a teen who kills 2 people while texting and driving. It interweaves the story of the people involved, the legal case, and the scientists who are studying attention and distraction, and how it all comes together to create new law.

Next up will be for our book discussion group, Take Me With You.

Last night we went to the community theater to see Diary of Anne Frank. Wow! It was so well done! Very moving. It got me thinking that I haven't read the book since I was a child, and it would be worthwhile reading again with an adult's perspective.

Comments (115)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

You know, while The Custom of the Country is well worth reading, I find it one of Wharton's most aggravating novels because Undine is crafty like a fox when Wharton needs to advance her to the next level and yet she always becomes a total Dumb Dora as soon as she gets there.

• sableincal
    6 years ago

Linelle - About Michael Connelly. Have you read Void Moon? It's a one-off, not about Bosch or any other detective. Its hero is a very clever woman. Possibly my all-time favorite police-genre thriller.

Also, have you watched Amazon's series about Bosch? It's free streaming if you have Amazon Prime. IMO they have done a fine job of intermingling the stories and presenting Los Angeles as a great noir city. And Bosch's home is TDF.

• User
    6 years ago

I finished In a Sunburned Country and did enjoy it- Bill Bryson does not disappoint although to be honest--there were parts where it dragged but it did quickly pick up. I even did actually chuckle out loud several times:) too.

I am looking forward to starting The Two Family House thanks to this forum.

I would like to try The Custom of the Country -sounds promising but the size (for me) makes it less likely to be a success. One of these days.

My to be read pile is growing and growing.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Sable, I haven't read Void Moon, and thanks for recommending it. I love Connelly's writing but I can tire of any series, since they are always a bit self-referential and need to keep you on the hook. I haven't taken the time to watch the Bosch series on Amazon, as I've tried to break myself of certain TV behaviors.

• Olychick
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just finished Two Family House this morning. Thanks to ??? Linelle was it??? who first recommended it. Enjoyed it very much.

Do not read the jacket statements about it. I was about 3/4 of the way through and read a spoiler. Really made me mad. The prologue is a bit of a spoiler, too and I wish I'd have skipped that.

• runninginplace
    6 years ago

This weekend I started Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz and not sure yet whether or not I like it. I wasn't quite expecting a total book-within-a-book, and still bridling a bit at reading a cozy mystery which is inside the actual mystery if that makes sense. Anyone else read this one? It got good reviews and made a couple of best-of lists so I'm going to stick with it for awhile and see where it goes.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

I picked up a really interesting book at our local Little Free Library, "Mysteries of the Bible". It's a great, hardback, 384-page book originally from Readers Digest. Histories, photos, speculations and a lot of fascinating back information on many, many incidents , etc. from the Bible. I'm enjoying it very much.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Oly, it might have been me. I loved the Two Family House. I always read the inner jacket flap, but not necessarily reviews on the back. I don't recall it being spoiled for me. If the prologue was part of the book (too many reads between then and now), then I don't regard it as a spoiler if it reveals later info. I figure I was meant to know it.

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

Running, I picked it up from her library and promptly returned it....that conceit did not appeal to me. And too convoluted.

Hope it’s a better read for you.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

I’m reading the Two Family House too! I like it a lot.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

I will finish Two Family House tonight. I really wish the author hadn't given so much away in the prologue.

• lobby68
    6 years ago

I just finished Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King and meh. Did not love.

I have a chapter left in The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander that I'm reading for work (well, I'm reading as a person, too). It's good and educational and revealing but also a little cardboardy at times.

I also am part way done with The Thirteenth Tale so I need to finish that up. Looking forward to digging into some of the recommendations here.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Linelle, thanks - I changed my post to reflect you as the source of the recommendation. I thought the prologue was a spoiler because it would have been kind of a surprise outcome without it, but the info in the prologue (and in the jacket reviews) tell what I would have like to have been surprised about. I might have guessed anyway, but it was just kind of anti climactic when you know the info. (Hard to write about a spoiler without writing a spoiler)!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

runninginplace I've been trying to finish Magpie Murders for months. I'm determined to do so just to get it out of my hair!

• 4kids4us
    6 years ago

Running and Diane, I just read Magpie Murders about a month ago. That type of mystery is not one I typically read and it was incredibly long! It did seem to drag on and took a lot out of me to continue. I did find it cleverly written. In fact, I was confused for a while as I thought the beginning of the book was actually an introduction by a real person! It wasn't until later that I realized I was reading a "book within a book" and then it made sense. I did enjoy it in the end, but definitely takes effort to get through it.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I recently started Insomniac City: New York, Oliver and Me by Bill Hayes.. can't tell you how much I am enjoying his writing and observations. I had a *terrible* day yesterday-- and after a few pages, I found myself smiling. It's not all sunshine and roses .. and knowing how it ends, I am sure there will be tears.. but I am finding it a joy to read.

I chose to read it because of Oliver Sacks .. but I am already looking to see what else Bill Hayes wrote. I think I'd also like the Anatomist (about Henry Gray and Henry Carter of Gray's Anatomy.. the book, not the tv show ;)

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

@writersblock - I think Undine's apparent change in "intelligence" was Wharton's way of saying that Undine could work toward a (selfish) goal but didn't have the ability to appreciate it once achieved. Always something better out there. Undine is, of course, representative of the group of people Wharton was skewering. Your thoughts?

Finished Salvage the Bones tonight. A good book. I cringe when reading about any type of animal fighting/cruelty so that part was hard. The feeling of a hurricane bearing down on you was very vivid though and I thought the author did a good job of writing about the tension and the aftermath. I wish Esch well.

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

@funkyart - You have reminded me that Oliver Sacks' memoir On the Move has been too long on my to be read list. That will be up next after the book I picked up today - a sci-fi/dystopian novel. Yeah, my reading is all over the place. Thank goodness! DH (71 yo) has settled into mostly reading mysteries (that don't include any graphic details). I don't get it. My mother, a reader all her life, read only mysteries after she reached a certain age. Maybe in five or ten years I will only want to read them too. Anyone else experience this change in older readers?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

saying that Undine could work toward a (selfish) goal but didn't have the ability to appreciate it once achieved. Always something better out there

Yes, that's a valid way of looking at it, rosesstink, but the problem is that Wharton frequently manipulates her characters in a similar way in other books. There's nothing remotely unintelligent or unappreciative about Lily Bart in The House of Mirth, for instance, but Wharton pulls the same trick there-- incredible, wild lapses of a well-defined character to provide drama and keep the book going.

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

I understand what you are saying, writersblock. I haven't read The House of Mirth. I don't recall feeling that Wharton was manipulating in the other books I've read (Summer and The Age of Innocence) but it's certainly possible that it just didn't occur to me when I read those books. It seems like many of the books I've read that were written during that era 'sound' contrived to some degree to me though so I may be just giving them all a free pass in my mind.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Just finished News of the World. I loved it. I was dubious about the lack of quotation marks for dialogue but it really wasn't an issue for me and I stopped noticing. It wasn't like there was a lot of back and forth conversations.

I loved Captain Kidd. What a guy. I am fascinated by that period of time and have overly romanticized it in my mind. I know that life could be harsh and end quite suddenly. But something about the wide frontiers and possibilities still speak to me. I'm a fourth generation Californian (Bay Arean) and it was very disappointing when I learned I couldn't get in a covered wagon and go west, because I was already as west as I could be without falling into the Pacific.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I am still reading Insomniac City. I am savoring it.. love the writing and the observations. I just read a few pages before preparing for today's celebrations. I have a few things weighing heavily on me this holiday.. and just a few pages put me in the headspace to enjoy the day and each moment as it comes.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Our book club chose the Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. I would have suspected I'd have read it when it came out, but I guess I didn't. So far it is wonderful, as are most of her books. Anyone struggling with caring for parents (especially dementia patients) might find it very affirming (the caveat being, I haven't finished it yet).

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

Finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel today. A dystopian novel about the world before and after the Georgian Flu kills 99%+ of the world's people. Wonderful book. The subject matter is, obviously, depressing but such an interesting tale. I gave it five stars on Goodreads and that's a rarity for me.

I'm out of library books (I think it's beyond time for me to figure out how to access their online books. A new years resolution?) so will read some Isaac Asimov that we have on our book shelf.

• User
    6 years ago

rosesstink- we read Station Eleven for book club a few months ago and I thought it was really quite good; not my usual genre at all but I did appreciate it.

Thanks to the forum, I just read The Two Family House. It was such a wonderful read. It was a bit before my time (like maybe 10 to 15 years ) but it was very much where/how I grew up so it was even more touching. I was so engrossed in it that whereas lately I almost have to force myself to continue reading, I zipped through this one in about 5 days (but really probably 2 days of real reading.)

I am not certain what will be next. Going to try to pick up the books recommended previously about the background of Anne of Green Gables.

• localeater
    6 years ago

Based on Linelle's recommendation, above, I just finished The One in a Million Boy by Monica Wood. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Whenit ended I immediately thought it should be made into a film, this is something that doesn't normally happen to me. Has anyone else experienced this? With which books?

In this instance, for me, it was a full blown cinematic revelation. I thought of different ways to write the script, different people to cast.

• hhireno
    6 years ago

That’s funny, localeater. Years ago, I read a book by Wally Lamb (maybe titled She’s come undone?)) and felt the whole thing was simply a sales pitch to get a movie deal. I don’t remember anything about the story except feeling annoyed and distracted.

For many reasons, I haven’t had much luck reading for the past several months. I used to read two books a week and now I’m lucky if I read 2 books a month. I keep hoping to find one of those stories that totally consumes my interest, but it might be too much to ask. I’m keeping a list of any new-to-me titles in these threads so keep them coming.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Sheila, I'm glad you enjoyed The Two Family House. Have you read Ordinary Grace, The One in a Million Boy or News of the World? Those four have been my most recent reads and they have spoiled me. Each one has uplifted me, and not in a sappy, sugary predictable way. All books that reinforce my belief in humankind's inherent goodness.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Linelle, I'm about to start The One in a Million Boy. I seem to like most of what you like to read.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

JTL, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Keep us posted.

• User
    6 years ago

Linelle, I reserved Ordinary Grace (long list). I did read News of the World and thought it was fine but definitely did not adore it as many others have. I thought it was a fascinating glimpse into life back then, but it just didn't grab me. I will look for One in a Million Boy.

I just started Maud the life of LM Montgomery. I am not sure but I think it might be a Juvenile Biography but it's really lovely. I also have Looking for Anne of Green Gables which I will start next.

Good reading!

• localeater
    6 years ago

Hhireno I'm sorry you are in a slow reading phase. I go through those too, where I struggle to be captivated and trudge through books instead of soaring. I didn't mean to imply that The One in a Million Boy was a sales pitch for a movie. I just thought it would make a great movie. I remember that Wally Lamb book I, it was all the rage. I didn't like it. I remember really disliking the protagonist. It still makes people's favorite book lists and I keep thinking I should reread it.

• hhireno
    6 years ago

No, no, I knew what you meant about OIAMB. It just triggered by Lamb memory. No way am I reading that again, once was too much.

I agree, OIAMB would be a great movie. I hope someone is working on it AND doesn’t ruin it.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I finished Insomniac City and started Cutting for Stone.

I absolutely loved Insomniac City-- I really enjoyed Bill Hayes' voice and his observations and interactions with people on the street. Most especially I loved his tender and loving record of his time with Oliver Sacks.. who I do believe might have been the most charming man of science of all time. Up to the end, he had a delightful, child-like curiosity and awe for the world around him... a true man of arts and science.

Cutting for Stone is also written very well and so far I am enjoying Abraham Verghese's voice as well.

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

Hhireno, DD and I read She’s Come Undone when it came out and LOVED it. We felt he’d captured the true spirit of a teenage girl (which DD was, at the time). May have to re-read to see if our tastes have evolved.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I won't read more Wally Lamb.. it took me until the second (or possibly third) book to learn that his books upset me. So many characters are unlikeable.. the others are helpless or stuck.. their lives so miserable. I was in a funk for days after reading his books.

I did think he was a good writer though... until I gave in and read his last book. We are Water. I didn't like the characters, didn't like the plot and I especially didn't like the writing. Now I really am done for good.

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

We tried to read his second book and steered clear since. But now I HAVE to check out SCU.....

• runninginplace
    6 years ago

I'm reading a book that many others may find useful.

A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves. It is an interesting hybrid of memoir and how-to on dealing with the needs of aging parents, written by Jane Gross who is a NYT columnist. She alternates the story of her mother's last few years of life with lots of information and helpful suggestions about many aspects of how the process unfolds for the ones managing elderly parents' care. It's easy to skim sections that may not apply and concentrate on her excellent tips and ideas for things one may be encountering. My only caveat is that some of her experiences were certainly eased and greased by having serious NYT/New York connections. Most people don't have the wherewithal for example to get their mom moved within a few hours out of a hospital she's been ejected from after 9/11 directly into what sounds like one of the region's absolutely top nursing homes just by making a call to a friend. But most of the book deals with universal problems and heartache that sadly come with this territory. I also liked that she spends a lot of time on the topic of taking care of the caretaker. It's sometimes ignored just how unbelievably grinding and soul/body destroying taking care of aging parents is-and that it is almost always women doing that work.

I just started the newest Michael Connelly Harry Bosch book Two Kinds of Truth. If you're a Bosch fan you know my opinion and if you're not, you should check out this series ;). Reading Bosch books is like going to my favorite restaurant: I can settle down knowing I'm going to be delighted and satisfied.

• runninginplace
    6 years ago

Woke up to this very sad news. Kinsey Milhone's stories are done. This makes me very sad, not least because of the tiny bit of uncompleted symmetry; no Z in this alphabet, ever.

Rest in peace Sue Grafton, you brought a vivid character to life and gave me and so many other readers so many hours of enjoyment over the years.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Oh no. Loved those books.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

I just finished the new Lee Child book, The Midnight Line, and Elizabeth Berg's new one, The Story of Arthur Truluv. These were Christmas splurges on myself since I didn't want to wait for the Library to acquire them. If you're a fan of either author you're in for a treat.

• User
    6 years ago

I just finished Maud ; The Life of LM Montgomery by Harry Bruce and it was very enjoyable. I am now starting 84, Charing Cross Road. Someone had mentioned it as being a good read and that it was really short. I had set a goal of 21 books for 2017 , not really having a clue for how much or little I read but figured it was slightly more than a book a month. Anyway I have read 32 books according to Goodreads. Trying to decide what next year's goal will be. I hope to retire ( or at least quit my job for an extended period) next year so I am thinking maybe 40 books...

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Has anyone read The Bear and the Nightingale or the 2nd book The Girl in the Tower by Kathrine Arden?

I feel like reading something very different.

I finished One in a Million Boy last night and would highly recommend. I wanted more.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

JTL, glad you liked One in a Million Boy. As I read it, I thought I knew how it would end, and love that I was wrong.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

JTL - I read the Nightingale and had to look back into my journal to remember - I wrote that I enjoyed it, but it didn't live up to the hype. The toggle back and forth in time was awkward, IMO. The other two I don't know. Thanks for the recommend for One in a Million Boy - I've heard good things but can't get my hands on it yet.

Sheila - 84 CCR is one of my life top fives. I hope you enjoy it too.

• sableincal
    6 years ago

Runninginplace - I loved what you wrote about reading Bosch books - like going to your favorite restaurant. I've been reading them in order over the years, and recently finished Echo Park (#12). Was planning on continuing with the next one, but reading the Amazon reviews of Two Kinds of Truth has me thinking about skipping ahead to this one. Connelly just does not disappoint.

Am also reading Joyce Carol Oates and John O'Hara here and there, and O'Hara's Ten North Frederick will be my first New Year's treat. I love the kinds of details he uses to describe his characters and their status and class. It's old-fashioned fine writing!

• runninginplace
    6 years ago

Sable, I'd suggest not skipping, because Connelly has done such a masterful job of deepening the character of Harry Bosch as the books progress. Life happens to him, and there are some remarkable, surprising and touching changes that come as you go through the series. So this latest, which I just finished, is an even better read if you have been following along book by book.

I envy you--one of my life's joys is finding a great series that's already got a lot of installments so I can binge read ;).

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Thank you all! I have picked three "different" books to read. My first will be The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen A. Flynn. It's a story of two time travelers that meet Jane and locate a manuscript that she never published. My next is The Last to See Me by M. Dressler. It's a story about a women who still lives in the same house 100 years after her death. She is also a haunted ghost. My next choice is a pre-order by Matt Haig called How to Stop Time. It's a story about a man who has been alive for centuries.

Also on my list: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and I liked My Life.

• 4kids4us
    6 years ago

Sheila, I hope you enjoyed 84, Charing Cross Road - I think I had recommended that to someone else here who was trying to quickly finish up a reading challenge. I can't remember what prompted me to pick it up earlier this year but it was quite enjoyable and a break from longer, heavier books I'd been reading at the time.

Early December I read Little Fires Everywhere which did not live up to the hype for me. An easy read but filled with stereotypes, predictability and little character development IMO (apologize if I mentioned this one earlier in the thread). I then had to take a week off or so due to the busyness of getting ready for Christmas but then had a very relaxing week at home with my family. It was bitter cold so we didn't do much other than hang close to home (we have a new puppy) so I spent much of the time in front of a fire reading. I had a few library books waiting to be read and of those, I chose The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne which takes place on a tiny Scottish island. I loved the setting, but it was a dark book. I would have rated it higher, but I thought some of the behavior of the main character was a bit implausible so that made it fall a little short for me.

I finished up the year reading Wonder by RJ Palacio. My kids had read it and I always wanted to but never got around to it. It satisfied a category in my 2017 Book Challenge, so figured it would be a quick and heartwarming finish for the end of the year. Obviously written with a youthful audience in mind, I enjoyed it but I did not find the behavior/dialogue to be indicative of kids in 5th grade so that was a bit of a distraction for me as I read. My youngest is in 7th grade - I think the characters behaved more like 12-13 y/o kids than 10 y/o kids.

I'm now trying to figure out with what book I want to start 2018. I'm loosely doing another challenge with my friends, though several categories I know I will skip. I finished 2017 with 66 books and only missed about 4-5 categories on my 50 book 2017 challenge. Oddly they should have been easy ones to fulfill, but there were other books I wanted to read and wasn't going to skip books I wanted to read simply to satisfy a random book challenge.