Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petlovermarcie50

Help-what to do with this brick trim around front door ?

petlover
6 years ago

We are having our home painted in a few days as well as having new tile flooring on our recessed porch. The body including the stucco shown in photos below will be a medium grey and our front door will be SW promegranate red (color below). I do NOT want the red brick currently surrounding our front door. It's original and doesn't match the brick on our planters. The painter is planning to paint the brick a shade of white but after reading about upkeep, regrets, etc. I'm having second thoughts about painting this brick. We like the brick planters and they'll stay as is.

Other than painting the bricks white, what are my options? One option would be to stucco over the brick and then paint it white. What about covering it with wood ? I need to figure this out ASAP. Thank you.

Below is the color we'll be painting our door.

Comments (10)

• mindshift
    6 years ago

Because the brick around the door is sheltered by the overhang you could probably paint it without having to worry about damaging its ability to breathe. However, there is an alternative way to change the color of brick and mortar. I've been fascinated by DYEBRICK since I first discovered the company. The non-toxic, water-based stain soaks in so the texture of the brick is retained. In addition to traditional brick colors they offer LimeLike that can significantly whiten even dark brick. Final color is determined by dilution rate with the fixative. HERE is a photo of one job. The only problem is that people from the U.S. and Canada have to order the product from England.

petlover thanked mindshift
  • petlover
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not sure what Durock is but we want white around the red door. I'll google durock. Here is sort of the look I had in mind (though this would not be possible on our home).

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

You can take brick molding off from the door, build it out and use Fypon surround or something similar. Here is a link, you can take a look and see if you like anything.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

I would paint it a soft shade of white & not worry about maintenance since it’s recessed from the elements. For such a small amount of brick I wouldn’t think maintenance would be an issue.

petlover thanked K Laurence
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

I agree with K Laurence. It's such a small amount of brick and recessed. Paint it.

petlover thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

some ideas

petlover thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

USG Durock® Brand Cement Board offers architects, builders and tile contractors a strong, water-durable tile base for tub, shower wall areas etc...

J Design Group
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://
    www.JDesignGroup.com

petlover thanked J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
  • wishiwereintheup
    6 years ago

Personally, I think the brick looks nice and normally do not like painted brick. However, for such a small amount, paint it or cover it as suggested above or rip it out and apply some other siding. I'm assuming it's just brick veneer. If you did that, you could probably fit in a door with one side lite.

petlover thanked wishiwereintheup
  • Bette P
    6 years ago

Just to be clear, are you also painting the sidewalls of the recess the grey or white like your inspiration photo? If you are painting the sidewalls grey, I would paint the brick wall grey. Don't add stone, stone and brick don't pair well together, especially if the stone is not repeated anywhere else. Same with wood, don't do that. A stucco wall instead of the brick would work. Have you considered a white door, or a lighter coloured door to brighten this entrance? The LRV number is 8.12 for BM Pomegranate, that's going to look very dark in a recess. Have you thought about a brighter color for the door?