Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_roberson

patrob
6 years ago

GOOD NEWS!

Lisa (ishareflowers) is going to host the WLOMWL Swap this year!

The swap is returning to GardenWeb, and it's time to add your name to the list of participants and compile your seedy wish list.

The last day to sign up and post your wish list is Sunday, December 31.

Seeds are to be mailed to Lisa by Friday, January 19.

Lisa will mail back to you by Thursday, February 2.

I will be assisting Lisa by posting the Composite Wish List on Google Docs as I have done for several years.

Lisa will be posting the rules and guidelines for the swap soon. Just as I did each year, she is going over the rules and making a few adjustments to make the swap better for everyone. She will also tell you where to post your wish list.

I'm very excited to see this swap continue. I've lost track of how many years it has been held, not even sure how many years I hosted, but it is has always been my favorite. Now I'm looking forward to being a participant again and turning over the hosting to Lisa. Thank you, Lisa!

Comments (132)

• Karen (Nebr)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Great trade list! I’ll be updating my profile list as well as my WLOMWL thanks to the very generous Xiangirl!

• EricaBraun
    6 years ago

• heavenlyfarm
    6 years ago

Merry Christmas Everybody!! :)

Have a safe and happy holiday!

~Michael

heavenlyfarm

• Karen Holt
    6 years ago

Merry Christmas! I need to update my list. I think I'm so used to swapping with most of you that I think we all automatically know not to send no id's and common flowers, hence my "any". I have gotten some non asked for varieties that were not common in this manner, but I truly do not want 20 packs of yellow marigolds and since we have new players I certainly want to be respective of the rules. Thanks for the explanation Lisa. It truly helps the newer ones. Off to start adjusting my list. :)

• patrob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm going through several online seed catalogues and listing specific varieties that look interesting. I realize many of these may not be sent for me, but I'm giving Lisa ideas of what appeals to me.

When she redistributes extra seeds, I know she will do her best to put seeds in my bag that I will like. That's what a conscientious host like Lisa does even if I don't put "any" or "all" on my list. Some of you are adding "only " to your requests. That helps Lisa too as she knows to drop that packet of something similar in someone else's bag.

When I was hosting, one of the greatest challenges was always the participant who asked for any and everything but then sent in a small number of packets. Many of the others thought they saw an opportunity to increase their total number of packets by sending many unnamed and/or very common seeds for that person, often 30 to 60 packets. Multiply that by 30 or so participants, and suddenly there is a huge pile of seeds most of us would not be excited to receive. But receive them we will as the host has to redistribute nearly all of them. Last year a person with a very general list just disappeared at the end leaving 900+ packets of mostly very common seeds for the rest of us.

If I send in only good quality seeds of less common, preferably named, varieties, I know I have helped the host and all the other participants When she redistributes part of what I send in, at least she has something other than "NOID marigolds" to work with. It is safe for me to assume there will be more than enough seed packets for participants with very general lists even if I don't send anything common specifically for him or her. If I pile on common seeds, I'll just get back someone else's common seeds for my trouble. I'll just keep my own "NOID marigolds"!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Tom Jones. I got your email and will respond when I'm feeling a little better. The link for the composite wish list is where you posted your wish list.

Patricia, Karen zone(5neb) sent an email. She has updated her list.

Karen Holt, I understand that some of your favorites may have come.from.surprises. maybe you could list something like surprise me with your favorite named annual or perennial...? This will give you surprise seeds but limit it to one per person.

Val, you are correct. The wish lists can be changed until 12/31 so seeds packed previous to that may no longer fit a players wish list.

When packing your seeds for players that have written any or surprise please put any or surprise on that packet of seeds.

Only 5 days left to post or change your wish list.....:)

• Tom Jones
    6 years ago

if any of you folks like hollyhocks I have a ton of black hollyhock seed

• leila hamaya
    6 years ago

i would like some black hollyhocks =)

add that to my list, if someone would.

also i cannot edit it anymore, but that's fine . it's done.

• Karen (Nebr)
    6 years ago

Hi Tom I've added these seed to my WLOMWL

Chocolate Bhutlah Peppers

Greek Pepperoncini

Carolina Reaper Peppers

• patrob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

REMINDER: Some of the wish lists posted on the Rules and Wish List thread are no longer current since the ability to edit disappears after a few days. Here is the link to the Composite List where you will find current wish lists: COMPOSITE WISH LIST

Anyone who wants to change a list before the 31st can e-mail me your updated list in the body of an e-mail: pat46rob@gmail.com

It takes me only a couple of minutes to delete the old list and replace it with a new one. I don't mind doing it at all!

• yotetrapper
    6 years ago

Just checking in. See a few more seeds I can send, and working on my list. Should have it posted in the next couple days. :)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Patricia, please do not transfer the wish list of indigo 2017blue. I tried to send a message because they haven't officially signed up but they do not have messaging set up. I want to be sure they don't think this is a secret santa type of swap.

• lynndavid99
    6 years ago

Hi Lisa, I would love to join, Let me know where I can view the rules, etc. Thanks,Lynn

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Hi Lynn, here is the link for the rules of the swap and wish lists.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/5015667/wlomwl-swap-rules-and-wish-lists?n=23

• Jaymie Poujade
    6 years ago

I’m going to have to pass on this swap.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

I've been looking at wish lists. I'm REPOSTING this so everyone can see it again. I know sometimes we scroll through without reading......

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. please take time to prepare your wish list! If your looking for pink flowers or flowers for sun to add to your garden, please don't write anything pink or anything for sun. Do a little homework and list names of plants that you would like to grow. A simple search on google or a nice seed site will give you many options to list that will work for your zone/requirements. Please be as specific as you can when wishing.

drop an email to pat46rob@gmail.com for any changes that you would like to make to your list.

I'm going to post an explanation of why I requested that players be a little more specific in their wish lists.

Here's a sample non specific wish list.

SALLY'S WISH LIST:

tomato- any cherry

Berries-any

cosmos- any

calendulas-any

marigold- yellow

celosia- any

pink, purple or white flowers

groundcover

your favorite

salvia

surprise me

Looks good right?

If you have hosted a swap before, you know this list will result in a lot of packets being sent in for Sally. Most of us have celosia, calendula, orange cosmos, purple and white flowers and no named marigolds that we got in swaps to send to Sally.

If we all send in what we have for Sally, she will have hundreds of packets sent in for her because her list is not specific. She didn't post a name to any of her wishes. Sally could have posted calendula but added snow princess, red devil, neon and so on. This would make it so Sally wasn't sent in dozens of packets of calendula orange or marigold yellow. Why does this matter? If Sally sends in 10 packets of seeds to be swapped and 100 packets of marigold yellow or calendula any come in for her. I have to redistribute the other 90 packs sent in for her to other players. This means if there are 30 players, we all get 3 packs of yellow marigolds or calendula any.

If a swap takes in 1000 packs of seeds, a 1000 go back out. This makes it so everyone receives the same number of packets back as they sent in. I'm trying to make it so that if Sally gets in 100 packets and only sent in 10 that the other players that get the redistributed seeds at least get a named variety that they can trade away if not wanted. There are many of us that prefer to know what we're growing.

I'm hoping that we can come up with a solution that will make everyone playing in this swap a happy planter. This is what I have decided to do and I think it will please all involved.

I understand that some players may want another players favorite or enjoy a surprise packets of seeds. I'm thinking that if I limit the "surprises" and "your favorites" to one packet of each per player to be sent in, it would benefit all players. The players that have listed these will receive them but there wont be an over abundance of these types to redistribute. If you have written "any" next to one of your wishes, you will receive all of those seed packets first if you have sent in enough to cover what was sent in for you.

I did set a limit of 200 packs per person as well. This is my first year doing this one and I'd like to just dip my toes in the water for the first year.

REMEMBER: 1 packet of surprise seeds and 1 packet of your favorite seeds are to be sent in per player IF a player has that listed on their wish list. Be sure to mark them as such also.

ALSO REMEMBER: if you choose to write "any" this means that some players will send you their no named seeds and those will make up your package first.

There are some of us who have been doing this swap for years and we know what not to send. :}

• Tom Jones
    6 years ago

ok I see

• tom jones
    6 years ago

I am in still

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

CURRENT WISH LISTS

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KtpviHF_cq3hQ7M8PcgAVWut1VjvfdyIj0b5B1BNycw/edit#heading=h.4kib3wktf1xd

REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO EMAIL PATROB WITH ANY CHANGES TO YOUR LIST. There are only 3 more days to post a wish list!

• Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)
    6 years ago

My 4 year old granddaughter and I had been harvesting seeds from some of my plants for the last 2 weeks, but I will have to pass on trading seeds at this time. We've had an unexpected death in the family:(

I'm new to sowing seeds (started this spring), and found that I love it. I will try to post a have list soon, as I did have some of the seeds on a few of the wants list. Take care all and Happy New Year!

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

I will be editing my list to eliminate "any" on a couple of items but have a question. Since it is indicated that we can only send one packet of each items being requested for any one person, how is it that you can end up with hundreds of packets of something? Am I misunderstanding something? I'm new and don't want to mess up. Thank you for your guidance.

• Kelli
    6 years ago

i'll fix my wishlist in the next day or two! i'll get rid of my few 'any' and i've of course got more to add! :)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Onesteward. I've made it so that if a player has "surprise me" or "your favorite" on their final wish list that each player may only send 1 of each in that category per player. I did this because hundreds of packets get sent in for players that leave their list open like that.

Let's say that you list surprise me and your favorite on your wish list. There are 30 people signed up for the swap. If each player sends you just 1 surprise and their single favorite, it will result in 58 packets of seeds for you just for surprises and other players favorites. If you were to list "any" next to several types of seeds and each player sent just one packet of just one of your "any" seeds, it would add at least another 29 packets for you. This would mean that you had 87 packets of seeds sent in for you before any of your actual named wishes have been filled.

If even just 10 players lists have these{surprise, any and favorites} on them, it could result in at least 870 packets of seeds. These could be all no named and hundreds would have to be disbursed to other players because most don't send in that many seeds to be swapped.

I'm just trying to encourage people to be a bit more specific so everyone can get a return envelope they are happy with.

Make sense?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Jeannies_garden, I'm sorry for your loss. please join us next time!

• midwestfarmwife
    6 years ago

I was able to edit my wish list that I posted on Tues. to take out a few things. Pat sent me Brandy Boy tomato in the Secret Santa Swap, so that was one off my list, and I couldn't resist an order to Baker Creek and Swallowtail Seeds that took care of a couple of others. It's not on the composite list yet, so maybe won't cause any confusion.

• midwestfarmwife
    6 years ago

I see that my list is already posted on the composites. Sorry Pat, hope it isn't too much trouble to take off Brandy Boy tomato, Snow White Calendula, Peppermint Balsam, and Xanthos Cosmos. Now I've spoiled a couple of my surprises that I bought to trade - LOL!

• patrob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll take those off your list. Sorry about ruining the surprises!

It's very quick and easy to make changes to the Composite List. Even taking a list off and replacing it with an updated one takes only a couple of minutes.

• Karen (Nebr)
    6 years ago

when reviewing the list do I use the composite list or the lists on the WLOMWL swap rules & wish list page? Thanks

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Karen, you will use the composite list when packing for the swap. The other lists are being changed still. Monday morning all changes that can be made will be made and the composite list will nit be able to be changed either...

• patrob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The lists on the Rules and Wish Lists thread may be out of date since editing is disabled by Houzz/GardenWeb after a few days. Many have e-mailed me with updated lists or changes to lists they can no longer edit on Houzz/GardenWeb. The Composite List posted on Google Docs is the one to refer to.

• yotetrapper
    6 years ago

Before everything gets finalized, I do have a question.

Lisa said: "If you have written "any" next to one of your wishes, you will receive all of those seed packets first"

Some of my wishes are pretty specific, or uncommon. But I really don't care the color. Such as...

Petunia: Double Cascade (any color)

Does that count as an "any"? I mean, I guess in my case, it doesn't matter, if I got a ton of Double Cascade petunias I wouldn't mind a bit.

But my question is... if you list a series, and state any color.... you'll only receive ALL the seeds sent to you for THAT SERIES right?

A more common example... say someone says "Zinnia-Profusion Series-Any Color" that doesn't mean they'll get all the packs marked "red zinnia" or "mixed zinnia" just because they wrote any color next to a series name,....right?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Yotetrapper, you are correct! A player will only receive all the mixed zinnia or red zinnia sent in for them first if they wrote Zinnia-ANY. If you wrote zinnia profusion series, you will receive all the zinnia profusion series seeds that come in for you.

Although, After all the seeds are here and I'm sorting them to be returned home. It may be that Sally wrote Zinnia- "any" with no limitations/series and had 50 packs of random Zinnias sent in for her but she only sent in 20 packs to be swapped. I will then have to divide the 30 left over "any" zinnias to other players. This has to be done to assure all players get returned the same amount of packets that they sent in. If 1000 packets come in, 1000 packets go out.

I'm sorry this has turned out to be hard for players. I think this first year will be tough but in the end I'm hoping to have a group of happy planters!

Lisa

• Karen Holt
    6 years ago

Wooo Lisa. I think you just saved this swap between yote's question and your answer, lol. Now this makes it worth it. Yotes problem is my problem and is now solved. Thanks! Off to re-edit my list, lol.

• yotetrapper
    6 years ago

Oh, no Lisa I completely understand the reason for doing it that way, I was just wanting to make sure I didn't accidentally shoot myself in the foot by the way I wrote my list, LOL. Thanks.

• Karen (Nebr)
    6 years ago

Thank you Yote! Almost shot myself in the foot. Off to msg Patrob to make some changes!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

I'm glad that helped clear things up!

I see people are on the composite list. Please be sure to write "surprise", Favorite or "any" if that's the category the seeds will fit. If this is missing I'll have no way of knowing that they belong in the swap. :}

Patricia, will you please remove mtpraire's wish list from the composite list. I have messaged her twice with no response. It can be added back IF I hear from her.

Sunshinegal made her final changes to her wish list today. She made a new post so please be sure and replace her old one :}

• Tom Jones
    6 years ago

I have been overwhelmed with all the different flowers. Miss Lisa I want to thank you for helping me. I am learning this site slowly. I stuck to the flowers I have success with in the past. I am sorry for any trouble.

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the explanations; between my question and other questions with answers, it makes perfect sense. I think I have my list adjusted better but will go and take another look. More than anything, I'd hate to cause everyone to end up with seeds they don't want because of something I asked for.

• Karen (Nebr)
    6 years ago

Much thanks to both of Lisa & Patrob for all of the patience & handwork! Happy New Year to you all!

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Is Tom Jones composite list correct? I see he's added flowers but now most of the peppers are gone... I HAD some seeds for him but I guess not anymore.

• Tom Jones
    6 years ago

how many do we have in the swap

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Tom is working on it.

21 players.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

Pat, I have not heard from Indigoblue either, please remove her list. Thank you!

Pat, I also noticed on the composite list that on the left under outline not all players names are showing up. I would hate to see peoples lists to get overlooked.

COMPOSITE LIST OF WANTS

We have playing

CGHPND

ERICABRAUN

HEAVENLYFARM
    HIBISCUSFAN

INTELKID

KAREN

KARENHOLT

KELLI

LEILAHAMAYA

LOVESBLOOMS

MIDWESTFARMERSWIFE

ONESTEWARD

PATROB

PINKIRIS
    POISONDARTFROG
    SUNSHINEGAL
    TOMJONES

VAL
    YOTETRAPPER

ZEAK RICE

ISHAREFLOWERS

21 PLAYERS.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KtpviHF_cq3hQ7M8PcgAVWut1VjvfdyIj0b5B1BNycw/edit#heading=h.4kib3wktf1xd

• R Rowland
    6 years ago

I wish I had seen this sooner. How often do you do these? I have lot's of seeds from some interesting tropical plants.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

R Rowland, you still can join in. I hate to leave anyone out!

This swap is done once a year but there are others on another site that are great as well.

Lisa

• yotetrapper
    6 years ago

Lisa if you don't want to post here, message me where this other site is at.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    6 years ago

UGH! I just added a bunch to my wish list and lost it somehow.

• Kaylee
    6 years ago

I can't believe I almost missed this! Adding my wishlist :D