Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkorshalla

Wood ceramic tile versus wood laminate flooring - opinions please

lkorshalla
6 years ago

Hello All,

I have a small-ish (815 square foot) first-floor condo that was flooded during Hurricane Harvey. Prior to the flooding, it had wood laminate flooring throughout the living and dining areas, and in the master bedroom. After the flooding the laminate buckled and needed removing.

I am considering replacing the wood laminate with wood-look ceramic tile, but I'm having doubts.

I am not concerned with appearance - I think I have the eye to achieve a natural or "realistic" look with either type of product.

My concerns are:

1) Warmth or lack thereof. I tend to walk around in my bare feet, and even though Houston is temperate, we do occasionally have "winters" (we just had snow a few days ago). I'm not too knowledgeable about the underlayment or subfloor, but since there would only be a thin layer between the tile and the ground floor slab, I wonder if tile is going to be too cold for my tastes.

2) Price / perceived value. Ceramic tile would add a little over $5000 to my renovation costs. Laminate would add next to no cost (maybe $1000 at most). Although I'm renovating many other aspects of the condo at the same time, I'm not sure $5000 for tile floor is a worthwhile investment on a condo that will probably be valued at somewhere around $175-180,000 when I'm done with it. I've owned three years, and while I want to make reasonably nice upgrades, I'm not trying to add improvements that are outsized in relation to the neighborhood standard.

3) Going through this again in the event of another flood. This was the first time my place flooded, but I'm sure a lot of the perceived value of the tile is the impression that tile flooring won't have to be replaced in the event of another flood. (Or would ceramic tile need to be taken up in the event of a flood? I am clueless.) Then again, I am wondering whether I will even own this place when the next "big one" hits.

4) "Tackiness" factor. Probably because I grew up in an area of the country where no one has tile outside the kitchen and bath, I have something of a personal bias against having it in living areas, no matter how nice the appearance.

What are your thoughts? If I am completely off base, and you have wood look tile floors that are warm and that you think added value commensurate with price, please let me know. But any input is appreciated!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

If you're in a flood-prone area, the truth is just about any kind of flooring will get damaged with enough water. Go with what you like best and make sure you have enough insurance to replace it again if necessary.

• cdee18
    6 years ago
    Tile is a lot harder than laminate wood flooring. If you have little kids running through the house or elderly relatives who like to visit, this might be something to consider.
    I had my wood laminate flooring installed 15 years ago. It has a layer of soft padding under it and has held up great. We don't have any scratches or stains in spite of kids, grandkids and pets. If I ever trip and fall, I hope it's on the wood and not in the tile kitchen.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    6 years ago
    My father was a ceramic tile contractor. I also have lots of family and friends in the Houston area.

To me, there are two separate and distinct issues: (1) whether to use tile or wood; and (2) whether to use wood look tile if you go the tile route.

A single flooring choice in the public areas of an open concept works well. Having a separate type of flooring for the kitchen is also common.

In the Sunbelt, cold tile floors is not a big issue. More of an issue is being on your feet a lot.

My choice preferences would be: (1) wood floor throughout; (2) stone look porcelain tile throughout; or (3) stone look porcelain in the kitchen and wood all other public areas on that level.

Wood look tiles IMO paint you into a design corner. It’s IMO a fad. Beyond that, wood look tile seldom works with other flooring choices. It never looks real because of short lengths. It does not transition well with real wood or stone look tile. So if used, pretty much need to use throughout. It can greatly impact kitchen cabinet colors. If you tire of it, it is a pain to remove. Wood floor can be refinished.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Sarshouse I have had laminate for 20 + years in 2 homes with big dogs never had a scratch maybe it depends on the quality of the laminate.

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

When was the last time the condo flooded, prior to the most recent episode?

Would not take on added expense to put in a less desirable (imho) option.

If you wanted to spend more, I'd put in site finished or prefinished hardwood, instead of the laminate.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

hardwood. It won't be more than tile, looks the best out of all of them and will always help you at resale. the 'wood look' is a fad, and going out. wood look tile, unless it's the really good stuff, just doesn't look all that great. as for the laminate, too plastic for me. hate the sound of it.

Natural slate tile is an option. it's not expensive and believe it or not, stays at room temperature. It is not cold to walk on in the cold months.

get a nice engineered wood flooring or on site stained red oak or something. Either of those, you can never go wrong.

• Susie Sametz
    6 years ago
    Might want to consider luxury vinyl plank flooring (that looks like wood planks). Some are 100% waterproof and scratch proof/resistant. Not cold like tile and offers a waterproof option which laminate can’t.
  • lkorshalla
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I’m not a design pro, but I’m realizing my prior floor was probably better described as luxury wood look vinyl. I never had any problems with noise, warping, or scratching, and most visitors had to look pretty closely to realize it was a “fake”. I agree that having wood look tile throughout the entire space would back me into a design corner. This definitely helped me sort out my thoughts.
  • PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

DS has this in basement and it looks quite good.

http://www.metroflorusa.com/konecto.aspx