Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcimato

My favorite day of the year

denali2007
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Saturday was Wreaths Across America at Arlington National Cemetery. It is such an honor to lay these wreaths on the graves of those who have fought for our country.

Comments (15)

• graywings123
    6 years ago

News reports said there were "10s of thousands of people" there volunteering to lay wreaths. I can't imagine the organization needed to utilize a crowd that size. I guess with 400,000 graves, you need a lot of people to get the job done.

• User
    6 years ago

denali, do you take part in the effort?

denali2007 thanked User
  • pudgeder
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What a beautiful way to honor our vets. This always brings tears to my eyes.

denali2007 thanked pudgeder
  • gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Beautiful.

• denali2007
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Delilah, yes I did take part. I have a friend whose Husband is there.

i take her every year. Also have several people I personally know. They estimated 75,000 people attended. In less than 2 hours we have the entire cemetery covered.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

I had not heard of this. That photo warmed my heart. Thank you so much for sharing it.

denali2007 thanked cattyles
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing the photo.

denali2007 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Yayagal
    6 years ago

God bless each and every one of them.

denali2007 thanked Yayagal
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    6 years ago

I was going to take my kids, but heard that the crowds were going to be huge and metro might be a problem. So we're committed instead to going back on January 20, when the wreaths are removed - evidently that date gets far fewer volunteers. BTW similar activities go on at cemeteries around the country. You can enter your zip code and find nearby location that needs volunteers for these events: http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/ 

• denali2007
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Small house

that is wonderful that you are going for the wreath removal. I do that also and you are right that they get far fewer people.

I'll give you a tip for next year to make it easier. The Pentagon parking lot is always open. We park right next to the 911 Memorial walk through the tunnel under 95 at you are at the service gate to the cemetery. Just go early enough

y friend has a family pass to park in the cemetery garage but we never use it. Another friend had the pass and waited in line for 2 hours and went just about a mile.They gave up and went back to Vienna and took metro. It was already done by the time they got there!

thanks for posting the link to the other National Cemeteries.

• localeater
    6 years ago

The convoy of trucks loaded with the wreaths passes through several towns, mine included. We lined the streets to cheer them on their way. It was lovely celebration.

• DYH
    6 years ago

I've heard of this -- what a wonderful experience for the participants and those who can visit. Thanks to you and the other volunteers.

denali2007 thanked DYH
  • User
    6 years ago

We have a National Cemetery in my little town and a group of volunteers raises the $50 to $70K needed to put wreaths on all the graves. We got about 2/3 of the needed funds this year. They'll try for more next year.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

That's amazing :-)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH