Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Swedish Death Cleaning

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I think I need this book when it’s published next year! I’ve downsized from 3000+ sf to 2600+ sf to my current 1700 sf and I know there is still stuff that will have no meaning to my son and his family. I love the idea of the throw away box.

Hmmmm link didn’t work. Stay tuned....

Let's try this: Swedish Death Cleaning

Comments (10)

• deegw
    6 years ago

My bedridden mother in law is going to hold on to every scrap of highly organized wrapping paper until her last breath. The house is a beautifully decorated 4500 square foot Victorian with three generations of stuff. DH has a brother and a sister and a bossy SIL so I will be low man on the totem pole when the decisions have to be made. Thank the Lord.

• maddielee
    6 years ago

I am going to pre-order, for my husband (his office and garage!! ).

• flowerpwr45
    6 years ago

We are fortunate enough to own acreage property, in addition to our city home. Fortunate, fortunate, fortunate...

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

But what if your next generation isn’t, flowerpwr45?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 years ago

After cleaning out my parents' large home, I swore I would never leave that dreadful job to my son. There was so much stuff that should have been tossed long before in the attic, garage, heater room, closets, etc. I gave old (really old-like 19th and early to late 20th c.) clothes to school theater programs. We donated a lot. We tossed even more. Filled a huge dumpster. What a waste. My DH is a hoarder and now our attic is filled as well. I am tempted to haul it all out in the spring and force him to go through it. Seriously, why do we need all his gear for whitewater canoeing, skiing, and cycling? He is never going to do any of those again unfortunately. It all becomes junk eventually. My paternal grandmother was Swedish. I think I am destined to like the idea of Swedish Death Cleaning!

• Joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

We are moving next summer and I am currently going through 33 years of junk in the basement. DH got a jump start last year and got rid of some stuff, but there’s still a lot to go through. It’s on hold til after the holidays but my goal is to have it done by the end of January. Have already donated quite a bit and made several trips to the dump.

Im still probably keeping too much but will go through whats left again when we pack and will probably get rid of more. The rest of the house is in pretty good shape and i could probably go through it as I pack but hope to go through all the closets and drawers once before packing. Will do the garage in the spring..should take a day or so...it’s mostly DH’s domain.

It is hard to part with some things, but i know the kids don’t want it so no point in moving it. Im taking pictures of some sentimental items instead of keeping them. I know it will feel good to be free of so much “stuff.”

• User
    6 years ago

You have to keep up with it.

Next week our family will celebrate "Donate 10 things to charity" day. Each person will have to provide 10 things for the box. It's the only way to keep stuff moving out.

• Joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

I had a friend whose DH still had his first car...a Dodge Charger from the 70’s....parked in their driveway.....for 30 years. She hated it. Sadly, she passed away a few years ago and I’ll bet the car is still there.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wish if I were a hoarder I could be like my SIL. Her house is crammed with everything she and her family has ever owned. However, it is organized within an inch of its life. Her two sons are now taking their treasures for their kids. My brother could start his own auto repair and construction business,

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022