Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhumphreys2

Need help with a dinette area

J Humphreys
6 years ago

In limbo about whether to do an L shaped banquette bench. The table is too small for the current

chairs and I wish I could accommodate a larger table. This area opens up into the living room and kitchen. The door is to a screened in porch and stone patio overlooking the wooded backyard. Is a banquette bench a good idea or are there other options?

Comments (22)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Perhaps the answer is a larger table instead. The current one looks to be suited for 2 people. Here's a helpful article you should read. Scroll to the bottom for a link to help with sizing the table for your room as well.

http://www.houseplanshelper.com/dining-table-size.html

J Humphreys thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Banquettes are very hard to get into and get out of. The length of your windows makes a back on one very hard.

You need to look at rectangular tables with leaves and/or drop leafs to accommodate small and large gatherings.

J Humphreys thanked Kathi Steele
  • J Humphreys
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is this a viable possibility?

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

How many place settings can you get on that table? See the link I sent earlier.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Look at the window in the back of your first photo, and note how much lower it goes than your chairs. You'd probably have to raise the windows on both the left and the back to have a seat high enough, which would be very expensive.

• suero
    6 years ago

Get a lager round table and position the chairs on the diagonal, so that when the chairs are pulled back, they go towards the corners.

J Humphreys thanked suero
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Thank you Deco for nice article, very useful.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

@My3dogs about how low windows are at back wall :-))). It is called perspective. For not to be confused look at left wall window. The windows are on the same level.And they are higher chairs level.

• J Humphreys
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Currently I have a 3 ft round table and I can get 4 place settings in there but it is tight. I would love to have a 4 ft round or square table just concerned about the door to the screened in porch hitting the chairs as it opens.

• mick50
    6 years ago

Your chairs would tuck under a larger table, so it might just have the same basic "footprint" as the small one.

J Humphreys thanked mick50
  • amykath
    6 years ago

I too think a larger round table with a less intrusive base would help a great deal. You have room for it.

J Humphreys thanked amykath
  • J Humphreys
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have a 4 ft round plastic table I am going to put in here to see what it looks like. I also ave a rectangular table that I will position (like Judy G suggested) and take a look at what it will look like w a bench under the window.

• D M PNW
    6 years ago

As mick50 said, the chairs would tuck under the larger table. If you rotate the chairs 45 degrees, there would be more room for the door swing. Looks like you could add a larger glass top to the base there if you like it.

• J Humphreys
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is amazing when you can put something in a room that you already have...and it works pretty well. Could still do the bench and the back and also have a chair too but kinda digging the way it looks.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Wow, that's a great improvement! I, too, thought to suggest rotating the chairs with the round table, but you may have your solution.

J Humphreys thanked Olychick
  • always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

oh that looks great. Normally I'm all about greenery, but I think I'd take that plant out of the corner. Other than that, looks like a winner to me :-)

• sjsshank
    6 years ago
    You have room for a larger table.
    J Humphreys thanked sjsshank
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

That table looks wonderful there. Not a fan of benches though.

About that light fixture!!!

• User
    6 years ago

You’re better off with a banquet more seating and more room but add seat cushions if you do

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Center the table and chairs under the electrical ceiling fixture, add a chandelier and wall decor.

J Humphreys thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    6 years ago

Maybe just getting one banquette sofa bench, and a longer table? Or try a larger round one?