Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Wall color for kitchen w/green granite counter tops?

chisue
6 years ago

Sorry, I'm not photo-handy.

This is a kitchen (and dining area) with cream painted inset cabinetry in a traditional style home. All counter tops are green granite -- 'Costa Esmerelda' -- a 'money green' color. Medium-dark brown wood floors. Trim is BM White Linen. Polished brass knobs and fixtures. Sinks are white.

I think I want a shade of cream for the walls. Lighter than the cabinets? Darker? Something else?

80 X 68 archtop window over the sink faces North. Open door to DR on the South.

Dining area has pairs of French doors on East and South. 9-foot ceiling.

Comments (13)

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

So the trim is lighter tthan the cabinets? If so, I would probably look for a shade of cream in between the two. Paint some big swatches on foam board first and take a look in all kinds of light on every wall.

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

crl_ -- Thank you. Very helpful! We moved into our new build 16 years ago, and I was too overwhelmed to choose colors carefully. I don't like the light green in the kitchen, so that's getting paint. Only two rooms are not going to be repainted: Hershey Brown 'library' and Blue-Green guest room.

May I extend the question?

Is the trend to deeper shades today? Our LR and DR are BM Winchester (?) White, which is a pale yellow. They, and the Foyer and stairwell, need paint. Very open plan; wide arches between Foyer and LR, and LR and DR. Foyer is North; LR and DR face South with walls of French doors. I'm thinking a deeper, more 'gold' paint. There is a gold in each of the Orientals in these rooms. Would I paint all the same, or go lighter or darker in the 12 X 16 Foyer?

I'm north of Chicago.

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

I would paint everything the same color. Look at BM Clay Beige, Manchester Beige, Carrington Beige & others similar.

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

I don't know about current trends (except that I think grey is mostly over as a trend). If there are good stopping points,mi would probably paint the foyer a different shade of the same paint color. Our previous houses had some variation while the current one is the same color everywhere (builder's choice) and I think some variation is more interesting and looks less spec builder to me. Definitely personal choice though!

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your much-needed help. I am feeling pressure to choose colors *fast* before we leave town in a few days.

Our painter is making color boards for:

Kitchen/Dining/Back Hall in BM Pearly Gates #190;

MBR & MBA in Hathaway Peach #HC#4;

Foyer/LR/DR/Stair/BR Hall in Hawthorne Yellow #HC#3, Cornsilk #198, and Barley #199.

If necessary, they will do all drywall work and taping for paint, then wait for wall paint selection when we return from Maui. There is a lot of taping and sanding that needs to happen when I am not breathing the air.

• mabeldingeldine
    6 years ago

I did a low-budget kitchen in a rental property with Costa Esmeralda Rose. Not to be on trend, we painted a pale silvery gray to minimize the pink shade in the granite (which I removed from a different house and re-used), with SW Westhighland White, my favorite off white, trim and gray stained cabinets.

Costa Emeralda kitchen

Good Luck!

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mabeldingeldine -- Thanks. Your kitchen turned out beautifully. (We've had four West Highland White Terriers. Their 'white' depended how much time each had spent 'gardening' on a given day. They love to dig!)

eam44 -- I've selected a color slightly lighter than our kitchen cabinets: BM "San Diego Cream" #921. I'dd thought the cabinets were more yellow/cream, but the creamier tones 'bleached' the cabinets.

crl_ -- I'm using BM "Barley" #199 for Foyer (north-facing) and for LR and DR (south-facing).

There's just one room left, the MBR (SW exposures). I like BM "Hathaway Peach" #HC-53, but am also drawn to a bolder BM "Salmon Mousse" #046. The MBA will be "Sheraton Beige" #HC-57.

I have two more days to *decide*!

• mabeldingeldine
    6 years ago

Love Westies!! If only it were possible to direct the digging where you want it, when you want it! ;-)

• bluetea57
    6 years ago

Benjamin Moore Aura paint, crumb cake is the color, coordinates well with the green counters, brown wood colors, white ceilings.

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

bluetea57 -- Thank you for the photo. I'm set now on the kitchen...just pulling my hair out over the MBR, which needs to go well with BM "Sheraton Beige" HC-57 in the MBA.

Not so sure now about BM "Hathaway Peach" HC-53 for MBR.

Looking at BM "Love Story" #1213 and BM "Careless Whispers" #1214. The next one in that family is BM "Cinamon 'n Spice" #1215 -- maybe too intense?

Is this 'backwards' -- I should choose fabric for roman shades and headboard before paint color?

I can hold off on MBR; have painters return after we are home again and have fabric. They can do repairs, ceiling and trim and return to do the easy part: the walls (2 coats).

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

I would try to choose paint last. There are more paint color choices than fabric choices.

I used Benjamin Moore Barley in our second house and liked it a lot. I paired it with America's heartland for an adjoining room, iirc.

• chisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

crl_ -- I've emailed our painter, asking him to hold off on only the MBR until we are home again. I'll get the fabrics lined up before ordering the paint color.

I've liked "America's Heartland", too. That and "Cornsilk" play nicely with "Barley".

I'm off to pack. I really appreciate everyone who's helped me with this. Thank you. May 2018 be *good* to you!