Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grace_zitolibardi

NEED HELP with picking out furniture

Grace Libardi
6 years ago
I would like to put 2 storage units/book case to display picture frames etc.... on each side of window by the game table and a sofa table behind couch. Can’t decide what color would look best. My kitchen is open into to the family room, should I match the kitchen table? Wood or metal? Dark or light?

I appreciate all you help!!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (9)

• Jim Scott
    6 years ago

I think instead of conventional bookcases, I would do some iron and wood shelving with the wood being natural -- not white. I think a sofa table in the same hue as your dining room table would look good behind the sofa.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

Do not put bookcases there .... there is not enough space to do that. Book cases are for large walls with no windows.

• lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

What pleasant rooms! I'm no expert so can't help you, but it looks very nice.

• houssaon
    6 years ago

I think I would do white. It would keep the room light with all the dark furniture. Are your kitchen cabinets white?

I think you have enough room. Most bookcases are not that deep and even if the lower portion is 24 inches, I don't think it will crowd out the room.

As far as the sofa table, find a piece you love. It could be a painted piece in the soft tones of you accent colors, metal, or a mixed woods. Take a look at console tables in products.

• rnonwheels
    6 years ago

I think shelving that wraps the inside corners and has some of the same detail as your built ins (if white) or your dining table wood tones if in wood. The home is beautiful, I think something unexpected would add some pizazz to that game area, for example if the shelves wrapped the corner and ended at different lengths, or had corbels supporting them. Shelving will let you change out the decor and do seasonal things and add some character. I'd like to see a purpose driven use of the space as well, for example a chair and ottoman in the corner with a side table. (Always sucks to be the first one outta the game!)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Start with drapes to warm the space. When hung properly, there won't be room for bookcases. In fact, most Houzzers would advise you to limit the amount of photos to just a few. I like them with "foot" backs so they can sit on table tops. Group them in threes, one large behind two smaller ones; no more than one such grouping per table top. The rest can hang in hallways and bedrooms, or go in albums. As for things hung on the walls, they should center at 5' above the floor. If above furniture, then just 5" above. I think your kitchen table and chairs are fine. Is that a sample valance over the slider?

• Grace Libardi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for you advice!

Housman- My kitchen cabinets a dark wood (cherry mahogany)

Decoenthusiaste- Yes that is a sample of my drapes over the sliding door. Custom drapes are on order.

These are some of the pieces I was looking at. They come in many colors. The 3 piece wood set I was going to divide it. The 2 taller pieces on each side of window and the short piece behind couch.
  • Grace Libardi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Decoenthusiaste-
    For the sliding door and the windows by the game table would you of done a valance or drapes?
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

For softness and sound dampening, I would prefer drapes, but fabric roman shades work well too, and can match the drapes. They can be inside mounted so your nice woodwork is exposed. Valances are not popular on Houzz - except in the occasional kitchen/dining combo.